Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Finally Arrived in Cochrane, My Experience

Wikiposts

Finally Arrived in Cochrane, My Experience

Old May 31st 2011, 2:50 am
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice
Default Finally Arrived in Cochrane, My Experience

Well we are finally here in Cochrane!
Just wanted to share my experience with those who are in the same boat.

We rented the house out in the UK as couldnt sell it, so going to wait a good few years till the market goes through the roof again (and it will) and sell for a bit profit hopefully. We moved out at the end of April and spent a few weeks visiting relatives before we left, we had arranged a rented a property before we arrived so had somewhere to go.

We left for Manchester a day before the flight and spent the day with parents, we stayed the night at a Premier Inn as we didnt want tears at the airport, im glad we did as it was an emotional night.
We arranged for the dog to come a week after us, and im glad we did!

We arrived in Canada on the 13th May 2011 and its been really busy, getting son into school, sin numbers, applying for a driving licence, alberta health, tenants insurance, auto insurance buying a vehicle, getting plates, setting up a Canadian bank account etc.Registered for water, gas, electric and cable.
Sometimes a bit confusing

A week later we went to collect the dog, it should have been straight forward but the paperwork on his crate from leaving the UK to arriving in Calgary disappeared, he had to wait 4 hours for replacement paperwork and was stuck sin his crate, eventually the replacement paperwork arrived and we then had to get him cleared for entry to Canada, once done we were allowed to take him home, he was so excited to see us. He was fine and it only took a few days to be back to normal, Harry is a Choc Lab aged 9

Our Teenage Son is at school and has settled in well, made some friends and now visits the skate park with them. Hes unsure which sport to do in the summer but will probably be soccer as played in a team since age 6.

Our furniture was shipped with Robinsons in the UK, I have nothing but praise for them, not one breakage and kept to their word for everything. The price for a 20 ft container that was nearly full was under £5k

Mr Us3 is chuffed as the UK tv's DO work as does the xbox, the only problem we had was with the computer tower as there isnt enough power to boot it, im sure he will try again with all sorts of cables but if anyone knows how to get it working please let me know.

Now started looking for jobs, Mr Us3 has applied for about 10 so far and ive only applied for 2 but want to make sure the lad is settled first plus want to start my own business from home! but money needs to come in to pay the bills etc so will look at working from home once we are settled.

All the nneighborsare great and have said Hi.

Anyone with a UK Cost Co card can use it here as long as not expired (I was so pleased)

Next also delivers to Canada now too.

It has taken a good few years to get here but im glad we have done it, Im sure the home sickness will kick in but the UK is less than half a day away and there is always skype.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:06 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally Arrived in Cochrane, My Experience

Congrats on the move.....we brought a 9 year old choc lab with us, she (Cassy) is loving it here. On the computer front, Mr Us3 should look at replacing the power supply.

Good luck on the job front, it can be hard to get your foot in the door here. It can be a slow process and you have to keep smiling. If you are told they will make you an offer, keep looking until you see the confirmed offer etc. I say this as while my resume has a very good success rate (in that a resume is there to get a phone call or email asking more information). I have been told on two occasions we will make you an offer and it has not materialised...

We did not have a UK costco card as we were not located near one, Costco here is about 10 mins drive and has been great especiallly as we have been on tight budget.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Cochrane. Best wishes for a happy life here.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:29 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Cochrane! Glad everything seems to be going well. It's always a bit manic when you first arrive; a bit like hitting the floor running with so much to sort out.

Glad Harry was OK. Always something to worry about when bringing a dog over. Ours was 11 when we came (she's 14 now) but she adjusted really well.

Whereabouts in town are you living? Let me know if you fancy meeting up for a chat sometime over a glass of something. Or even a dog walk!

Anyway, I hope you'll be really happy here; I'm sure you will as Cochrane is a great place!!

Originally Posted by us3andthedog

We rented the house out in the UK as couldnt sell it, so going to wait a good few years till the market goes through the roof again (and it will) and sell for a bit profit hopefully. We moved out at the end of April and spent a few weeks visiting relatives before we left, we had arranged a rented a property before we arrived so had somewhere to go.

We left for Manchester a day before the flight and spent the day with parents, we stayed the night at a Premier Inn as we didnt want tears at the airport, im glad we did as it was an emotional night.

We arrived in Canada on the 13th May 2011 and its been really busy, getting son into school, sin numbers, applying for a driving licence, alberta health, tenants insurance, auto insurance buying a vehicle, getting plates, setting up a Canadian bank account etc.Registered for water, gas, electric and cable.

A week later we went to collect the dog, it should have been straight forward but the paperwork on his crate from leaving the UK to arriving in Calgary disappeared, he had to wait 4 hours for replacement paperwork and was stuck sin his crate, eventually the replacement paperwork arrived and we then had to get him cleared for entry to Canada, once done we were allowed to take him home, he was so excited to see us. He was fine and it only took a few days to be back to normal, Harry is a Choc Lab aged 9

Our Teenage Son is at school and has settled in well, made some friends and now visits the skate park with them. Hes unsure which sport to do in the summer but will probably be soccer as played in a team since age 6.

Our furniture was shipped with Robinsons in the UK, I have nothing but praise for them, not one breakage and kept to their word for everything. The price for a 20 ft container that was nearly full was under £5k

Mr Us3 is chuffed as the UK tv's DO work as does the xbox, the only problem we had was with the computer tower as there isnt enough power to boot it, im sure he will try again with all sorts of cables but if anyone knows how to get it working please let me know.

Now started looking for jobs, Mr Us3 has applied for about 10 so far and ive only applied for 2 but want to make sure the lad is settled first plus want to start my own business from home! but money needs to come in to pay the bills etc so will look at working from home once we are settled.

Anyone with a UK Cost Co card can use it here as long as not expired (I was so pleased)

It has taken a good few years to get here but im glad we have done it, Im sure the home sickness will kick in but the UK is less than half a day away and there is always skype.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

pete_hyde is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by us3andthedog

hey, we are moving to alberta in september also with a choc lab, can you tell me how much it cost to bring dog and who you used, my quote so far is more than double the cost of 4 of us