Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Feeling unsettled/home sick

Feeling unsettled/home sick

Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Feeling unsettled/home sick

I wish we didn't have to spend so much time at work so that we could actually enjoy Canada and visit lots of places here - I think we'd feel more 'connected' to the country if we saw more of it. We have so little time off, but we're going to try and change that.

The other issue is the guilt trip we get dealt by certain family members back in the UK if we don't go and visit them (esp. at Christmas time). Neither of us like going back there at Christmas due to the added flight cost, inflated costs in general just because its Christmas time, places are closed over that period, and if the weather is bad it makes for a nightmare trip. Its just not a great time to go there full stop.... having done it 3 years in a row.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:46 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyS

The other issue is the guilt trip we get dealt by certain family members back in the UK if we don't go and visit them (esp. at Christmas time). Neither of us like going back there at Christmas due to the added flight cost, inflated costs in general just because its Christmas time, places are closed over that period, and if the weather is bad it makes for a nightmare trip. Its just not a great time to go there full stop.... having done it 3 years in a row.
I would knock that on the head right now, cant they come and see you if they want to be with you at Christmas?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I would knock that on the head right now, cant they come and see you if they want to be with you at Christmas?
I WISH - They are immobile (have serious difficulty walking etc.,) that would be a complete no no. The world has to go to them and not the other way round.

They also smoke, which I wouldn't allow in our NEW house, they would have to go outside which they WOULDN'T do during the winter time.

Too many constraints on this one.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:55 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I WISH - They are immobile (have serious difficulty walking etc.,) that would be a complete no no. The world has to go to them and not the other way round.

They also smoke, which I wouldn't allow in our NEW house, they would have to go outside which they WOULDN'T do during the winter time.

Too many constraints on this one.
what would happen if you declined the visit one year? Make up a reason that's perfectly valid, such as cashflow.....
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

what would happen if you declined the visit one year? Make up a reason that's perfectly valid, such as cashflow.....
Thats exactly what we've done this year - we ain't going.

We told them that the reason we aren't coming is because nothing is open over Christmas and whatever we suggest doing with them, they decline because they CAN'T make it up or down stairs, the weather isn't good, etc., etc.,

They told us they didn't 'buy it' i.e the reason(s) we gave.

Anyway, don't want to hyjack this thread with our family issues.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I've also been here 3 months and have only had one glimmer of homesickness so far, which happened the other day. I was doing some shopping at the supermarket, and suddenly I just really wanted to be shopping in Morrisons! Not for anything specific, I think I just wanted the familiarity, as someone already said. I was just suddenly tired of trying to find equivalents, and worrying about salt content, and being shocked by the prices of some things. I think I ground to a halt for about a minute and just stood there. I tried to think of something familiar to buy to make me feel better, and came up with nothing!

So that evening I put on a Uk tv DVD (Still Game i think, reminds me of the negatives of Glasgow and makes me laugh at the same time) and broke into my Uk chocolate stash and ate too much. That did the trick
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:54 pm
Happy

They told us they didn't 'buy it' i.e the reason(s) we gave.

Sheesh, they sound delightful, exactly where you want to be at Christmas.
Well sucks to be them then really... you go ahead and enjoy Christmas here, let go of any guilt if you have any and really enjoy the festivities in your home.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We are making plans to probably move away from the town we have called home for two years and either move back up to Halifax or possibly a change of Province...

The initial thoughts were all very excited ones..."moving back to civilisation"..."getting back into the real world" and all sorts of other feelings and beliefs like that...

Anyway fast forward a few weeks and I'm already getting home sick for where I am right now...where I will be leaving!!! I know my way around, I have friends and aquaintances, I can waive at so many people as I walk down the street and generally I feel as though I belong here!!

So why are we making plans to move? We live in a very small community in a rural part of South West Nova Scotia... There are no job prospects for my hubby and so because he feels he needs to start looking at other jobs we have no choice!!

But I will be sad to leave, just at a time when I realize I am feeling settled and can call Yarmouth home.

It's a strange life we lead. We uproot ourselves, allow ourselves to get settled and then start all over again...

What I am trying to say in my lengthy monologue is that, yes, you will feel homesick at first, but then more than likely the place will grow on you and it will become home and you might not believe it now but you will hopefully even reach a stage where the thought of moving again, starting over again, will upset you more than you can imagine...I will no doubt be very sad to leave this backward, opinionated, inefficient little town that I have learnt to love despite it's warts and bumps!

Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we didn't have to spend so much time at work so that we could actually enjoy Canada and visit lots of places here - I think we'd feel more 'connected' to the country if we saw more of it. We have so little time off, but we're going to try and change that.

Just say no. Tell them you can't afford it and that's that.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sheesh, they sound delightful, exactly where you want to be at Christmas.
Well sucks to be them then really... you go ahead and enjoy Christmas here, let go of any guilt if you have any and really enjoy the festivities in your home.
You could say that! Their main operative word is CAN'T to everything suggested which drives us mad. They are particularly idle which is the reason why they are so crocked now.

We WILL be enjoying Christmas in our own home which is lovely
Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by izzi81
I've also been here 3 months and have only had one glimmer of homesickness so far, which happened the other day. I was doing some shopping at the supermarket, and suddenly I just really wanted to be shopping in Morrisons! Not for anything specific, I think I just wanted the familiarity, as someone already said. I was just suddenly tired of trying to find equivalents, and worrying about salt content, and being shocked by the prices of some things. I think I ground to a halt for about a minute and just stood there. I tried to think of something familiar to buy to make me feel better, and came up with nothing!

So that evening I put on a Uk tv DVD (Still Game i think, reminds me of the negatives of Glasgow and makes me laugh at the same time) and broke into my Uk chocolate stash and ate too much. That did the trick
Didn't know some things were expensive in the east aswell! Thought it was just Calgary

Miss M&S food.....
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Wizardoffire is an unknown quantity at this point

If theres one thing that I miss is custard then again wouldnt be making it much... milk doesnt last very long in the house
I've been here 3 months now on the IEC, and I love being here and being with the girlfriend and kids. However what is really getting me down is the lack of progress I havent made, really thought I would have a job by now. Had 2 interviews, one was arranged and the other was for a job I found. Originally I started off looking for work related to my degree but since then broadened my horizons but still nothing. So downheartening and feels like I'm totally unemployable.
I know things are getting to me because the girlfriend has noticed, I just want something to happen so I can finally get going. Recently joined the local cricket league but even that isn't helping... got selected for a game today but was hoping it would rain as I didn't want to play. Spent most of the time in the field just feeling so down and you know how your mind wanders when you reflect, it was doing that.
Sorry for the long(ish) post, saw this topic and wanted to post
Its a horrible feeling and I hope you get over it. I tend to fluctuate from fine to this state and find that I just have to wait for it to pass
Old Sep 1st 2013, 5:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wizardoffire
If theres one thing that I miss is custard then again wouldnt be making it much... milk doesnt last very long in the house
I've been here 3 months now on the IEC, and I love being here and being with the girlfriend and kids. However what is really getting me down is the lack of progress I havent made, really thought I would have a job by now. Had 2 interviews, one was arranged and the other was for a job I found. Originally I started off looking for work related to my degree but since then broadened my horizons but still nothing. So downheartening and feels like I'm totally unemployable.
I know things are getting to me because the girlfriend has noticed, I just want something to happen so I can finally get going. Recently joined the local cricket league but even that isn't helping... got selected for a game today but was hoping it would rain as I didn't want to play. Spent most of the time in the field just feeling so down and you know how your mind wanders when you reflect, it was doing that.
Its a horrible feeling and I hope you get over it. I tend to fluctuate from fine to this state and find that I just have to wait for it to pass
You can buy custard here - both the tins of Birds powder and the instant stuff

I sympathise with the 'feeling like I'm totally unemployable', it's a horrible state to be in (I am in the same boat). Have you thought about bar work in the interim? You could take your certificate online (smart serve in Ontario) and there are usually lots of bar work jobs around. My son started off doing that (and is now head bartender), but he gets offered lots of jobs in completely different fields as he is in contact with people all the time.

It's a good way to network

Best of luck.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wizardoffire
Sorry to hear that your struggling on the job front. I really hope things turn around for you soon. We ended up going away for a few days last week, the change of scene really helped get me out of my slump, well for now anyway.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Originally Posted by DandNHill
We are making plans to probably move away from the town we have called home for two years and either move back up to Halifax or possibly a change of Province...

The initial thoughts were all very excited ones..."moving back to civilisation"..."getting back into the real world" and all sorts of other feelings and beliefs like that...

Anyway fast forward a few weeks and I'm already getting home sick for where I am right now...where I will be leaving!!! I know my way around, I have friends and aquaintances, I can waive at so many people as I walk down the street and generally I feel as though I belong here!!

So why are we making plans to move? We live in a very small community in a rural part of South West Nova Scotia... There are no job prospects for my hubby and so because he feels he needs to start looking at other jobs we have no choice!!

But I will be sad to leave, just at a time when I realize I am feeling settled and can call Yarmouth home.

It's a strange life we lead. We uproot ourselves, allow ourselves to get settled and then start all over again...

What I am trying to say in my lengthy monologue is that, yes, you will feel homesick at first, but then more than likely the place will grow on you and it will become home and you might not believe it now but you will hopefully even reach a stage where the thought of moving again, starting over again, will upset you more than you can imagine...I will no doubt be very sad to leave this backward, opinionated, inefficient little town that I have learnt to love despite it's warts and bumps!

Thanks for your reply your right and that it will just take some time. Best of luck with your next move, where ever it takes you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.