Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Almost a year, I cannot believe it!

Almost a year, I cannot believe it!

Old Mar 12th 2016, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Cath8888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Almost a year, I cannot believe it!

This time last year I was packing my things away and saying all my goodbyes. Seems like last month! Time has gone so fast.
This has been the biggest life adjustment I have ever experienced. Everything is different, my work, my friends, conversation, social life, the clothes I wear, the food I eat, everything. But it has been a fun learning curve, though a hard one at times.
However, I am still terribly homesick and I cannot seem to break the habit of comparing everything to home. If something goes wrong, I compare it to home and home now sits on a pedestal.

How long does it take to get past this? Has anyone else felt like this?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost a year, I cannot believe it!

Are you here "permanently" (whatever that means)?

It takes time to adjust. I'm still terribly homesick at times. There are recognised stages of adjustment when you immigrate. Most of us experience "culture shock" to some degree or another.

I have also read that you can feel out of place wherever you are once you have immigrated, even when you go "back home". I find that.

I have found the comparing thing gets less. At first I used to decide how I expensive/cheap I thought something was in Canada by doing a mental calculation as to how much it would cost in the UK. Now I don't do that much but if I am feeling a bit negative one day, I do the comparing thing with systems (e.g. homelessness, the NHS, bus passes for older people (or not!) etc.). If I'm having a good, positive patch, I don't think about the UK so much.

I think your feelings are "normal" feelings that most immigrants experience to a greater or lesser extent. I'm not sure these feelings you have will completely go away.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 28th 2016 at 1:21 am.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cath8888
the clothes I wear
Oh. I'm sitting here in red tags, a Fred Perry and Docs and I've been in Canada for thirty years. This was the fashion when I came and I've stuck with it. Are you in plaid, unlaced Kodiaks and tats you'll come to regret?

Noting your other post, I should say that I rode today in this outfit (except the boots).

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 28th 2016 at 1:35 am.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Cath8888 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pretty sure we are here permanently, my husband loves it here! We live in a very rural area, like the most remote I've ever been in in my whole life So I don't see a lot of people.
I have met some nice folk and have a few acquaintances that are almost friends, but I am still comparing them to my friends at home, which is really mean.
I always compare prices! But I am from Yorkshire so notoriously tight!!

I brought with me all my tweed and wear it lots. I can't give that up. I still watch Coronation Street too, it's drivel but comforting.

The bloody freezing weather is like torture and I'm told this is a warm winter !!

I don't know how I'll cope if it's colder next year.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 7:55 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I still watch Coronation Street too, it's drivel but comforting.
I still watch UK TV (via VPN) I don't know what I would do without it as I don't have cable and miss British comedy.

That helps me a lot, watching TV shows from 'home' and puts my homesickness at bay for a bit although mine is quite minimal right now
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

My library has a good stock of British TV series.

I'm not a big TV watcher although I'm glued to the internet. Sometimes when I am homesick I read posts on the MBTTUK section of this forum! I find that quite comforting!

S
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 5:21 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point

This time last year I was packing my things away and saying all my goodbyes. Seems like last month! Time has gone so fast.
This has been the biggest life adjustment I have ever experienced. Everything is different, my work, my friends, conversation, social life, the clothes I wear, the food I eat, everything. But it has been a fun learning curve, though a hard one at times.
However, I am still terribly homesick and I cannot seem to break the habit of comparing everything to home. If something goes wrong, I compare it to home and home now sits on a pedestal.

How long does it take to get past this? Has anyone else felt like this?
Hi Cath

I've done almost a year in Canada from Yorkshire and I can totally relate. Nothing prepares you for the change and some days are harder than others but I just take each day as it comes.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Karen BC is an unknown quantity at this point

Cath8888, what you are going through is very normal and part of a transition. It is natural to try and live as you once did as that's what you know and therefore everything seems odd and different. Unfortunately, "comparison is the thief of joy", so it is hard to be happy and enjoy your "here and now" when comparing everything to what you knew, grew up with and is/was your comfort zone.
What I have learned in relocating, is that nowhere is perfect and you have to learn a new normal. Join clubs, go to events and venues, read up on the history of your area, volunteer somewhere that interests you like the hospice, SPCA or library, explore the country. You will make friends and find many who were once in the same boat. By being open to new ways and culture and people, you will become more comfortable and, as a by-product, more happy.
Do find the time and money to go back to the UK for a visit every couple of years. I can guarantee that this will help you assimilate to Canada and take a bit of the rose colour off the glasses! Good luck!