9 Years!

Old Jan 7th 2016, 7:04 pm
  #1  
Scottish Canuck
Thread Starter
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,700
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default 9 Years!

Can hardly believe it's 9 years already! We are in NS but only until our house sells and we are moving to Calgary. OH been commuting every 10 days for over 2 years now so we decided last year to put our house on the market. Fingers crossed we will sell soon, although I will miss NS, the people and it's beautiful beaches and living so close to the ocean
Cookie is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:43 am
  #2  
I need a walk
 
Stinkypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 4,895
Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

Good luck! I hope that you don't miss the ocean too much.. I love going once in a while to just sit and watch the ocean- you may both need to head to the West coast for an occasional ocean"fix"!
Stinkypup is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:44 am
  #3  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,235
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
Can hardly believe it's 9 years already! We are in NS but only until our house sells and we are moving to Calgary. OH been commuting every 10 days for over 2 years now so we decided last year to put our house on the market. Fingers crossed we will sell soon, although I will miss NS, the people and it's beautiful beaches and living so close to the ocean
Congrats on 9 years - doesn't time fly when you're having fun

That's a lot of commuting to do and it must have impacted your lives, how did you cope with it? Was your OH on a 14 on 7 off rotation or something similar?

Calgary will be a bit of a shock after beautiful NS but perhaps you can find a lake to make up for the loss of ocean. Have you been there for a visit yet or are you jumping in with both feet and taking whatever is thrown at you?

Do you think you would go back to NS in the future?

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2016, 12:47 pm
  #4  
Scottish Canuck
Thread Starter
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,700
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Congrats on 9 years - doesn't time fly when you're having fun

That's a lot of commuting to do and it must have impacted your lives, how did you cope with it? Was your OH on a 14 on 7 off rotation or something similar?

Calgary will be a bit of a shock after beautiful NS but perhaps you can find a lake to make up for the loss of ocean. Have you been there for a visit yet or are you jumping in with both feet and taking whatever is thrown at you?

Do you think you would go back to NS in the future?

Siouxie he is on a 10/10 rotation up in Fort MacKay so thats a lot of commuting for an old fella. He really enjoys his job and works with a great team so that makes a lot of difference. He worked offshore in the North Sea for 18 years before we moved here so we are used to it. Much easier now the kids are grown.

I have been to calgary twice. Last time was in October. I spent 5 days there alone when my husband went back to work after our cruise. Checked out areas and viewed homes with a Realtor, although now we probably wouldn't buy until house prices stablise. Depending on how things go in Calgary, we can very much see ourselves returning to NS to retire. I would live around Halifax area next time because i enjoy lots of amenities close by and I love that city. I spend time there every airport drop off and pick up. We live a 1.5 hr drive away
Cookie is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:34 pm
  #5  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,070
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

I hope it goes as well for you 'over there' as it did over here.

Will you be looking to do the same sort of work you've been doing?
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:54 pm
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,235
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
Siouxie he is on a 10/10 rotation up in Fort MacKay so thats a lot of commuting for an old fella. He really enjoys his job and works with a great team so that makes a lot of difference. He worked offshore in the North Sea for 18 years before we moved here so we are used to it. Much easier now the kids are grown.

I have been to calgary twice. Last time was in October. I spent 5 days there alone when my husband went back to work after our cruise. Checked out areas and viewed homes with a Realtor, although now we probably wouldn't buy until house prices stablise. Depending on how things go in Calgary, we can very much see ourselves returning to NS to retire. I would live around Halifax area next time because i enjoy lots of amenities close by and I love that city. I spend time there every airport drop off and pick up. We live a 1.5 hr drive away
That's a tough rotation - no wonder you want to move! It must have been really difficult when the kids were younger, well done you. Was he on the rigs in the North Sea?

Would you move to one of the areas on a lake there? After the wild and wide open spaces of 'out East' do you think you will be comfortable living there? Fingers crossed that the move goes smoothly and you find somewhere you like to live.

Good to hear you have long term plans for moving back, I think that having an end game in sight helps in the short term!

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2016, 4:54 am
  #7  
Pondering a career change
 
Mikeypm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
Posts: 2,584
Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

Congrats on the 9 years, hope the Calgary move works for you
Mikeypm is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2016, 8:02 pm
  #8  
Scottish Canuck
Thread Starter
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,700
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I hope it goes as well for you 'over there' as it did over here.

Will you be looking to do the same sort of work you've been doing?
I think so since there is usually never any shortage of support work jobs. I have been office based for the last 2 years and just returned to working in a group home supporting 4 guys. It's good to be back, although I'll have to get used to working shifts again 24/7 365!
Cookie is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2016, 6:21 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
ann m's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Cochrane, Alberta
Posts: 7,837
ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
I think so since there is usually never any shortage of support work jobs. I have been office based for the last 2 years and just returned to working in a group home supporting 4 guys. It's good to be back, although I'll have to get used to working shifts again 24/7 365!
Best wishes for your move to this neck of the woods. Calgary ain't so bad . Definite lack of ocean but find a few lakes and you'll be good.
ann m is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2016, 5:25 pm
  #10  
Seasoned Maritimer
 
Tangram's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick CA
Posts: 8,240
Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

Best of luck in Alberta, my 9 year is in April.
Tangram is offline  
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:06 am
  #11  
Scottish Canuck
Thread Starter
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,700
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years!

Thanks everyone
Cookie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.