8 years

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 1:08 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default 8 years

A post in another thread caused me to notice that I think it was 8 years ago today (or maybe tomorrow) that this expat adventure started.

It has, of course, been a roller-coaster of emotion My OH has family here: when we arrived her parents were in Montreal, brother was local to us in Oakville. In-laws moved to be nearer their kids as various health issues became rather serious; M-i-L sadly died three years ago but F-i-L is now in fine health and lives just round the corner. We arrived with one child and a second imminent; we've since added a third to the brood.

I've been able to wangle the occasional trip to the UK through work, so have popped in to see my parents and siblings every now and then; this summer we took the whole family over for a vacation for the first time. That was an interesting mix of emotions: very much a visit to a foreign country for the kids, somewhat mixed feelings for me as it's almost certainly the last (and only, for the younger two) time my kids will meet their paternal grandfather, who is in rapidly declining health. It was lovely for my parents to have their children and grandchildren in the same place at the same time, but I think my mother in particular was somewhat overcome by the poignancy of the occasion

Still, if nothing else that trip confirmed for us that Canada is now unequivocally "home." We live in a very welcoming neighbourhood, have established some strong friendships, are involved in all sorts of community stuff, and have absolutely no intention of moving anywhere else any time soon. Hurrah.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:57 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 years

I am a big fan of your posts...though some make me jealous...I love your car: almost as much as I love my 2 CV!

I am happy to hear your success...it gives us all something to aim for! Very many more happy years! Very best regards?
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:06 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniversary, so lovely to hear that you have found a home, rather than we now live in x town and its ok
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sunryder is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on your 8 years. You seem really happily settled.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update - well done all of you. Feeling like you are home - can't get much better than that!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 1:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

8 years? it seems longer to me Congratulations, and commiserations. The ageing (grand)parent thing is the downside for us too. My kids never really got to know their grandmother, and granddads health insurance premium means we will have to save up to visit next year for his 80th.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:03 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
8 years? it seems longer to me Congratulations, and commiserations. The ageing (grand)parent thing is the downside for us too. My kids never really got to know their grandmother, and granddads health insurance premium means we will have to save up to visit next year for his 80th.
Yes, it's kind of weird and a bit conflicting... my dad's had Parkinson's for many years now, and the inevitable physical deterioration associated with the disease is accelerating. What's quite a bit more distressing is the progressive onset of Parkinsonian dementia, which in turn has led to a whole host of other secondary complications, and made travel even further out of the question than it had been previously. Even getting out of the house for medical appointments is a significant challenge these days.

My mother, who is an otherwise hale and hearty soul, is spending all of her time and huge amounts of energy looking after him (ably assisted by my younger sister, who lives half an hour away, and various other volunteers and agencies). There's a small part of me that, rather guiltily, hopes his terminal decline is not too prolonged so that my mother is still fit and well enough to regain some enjoyment of life (and possibly travel to Canada again to visit) after he's gone.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:51 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

8 years, you got here one month ahead of us. We all survived.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:20 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Seems it's all worked out well and been a good 8 years for you
Old Jul 26th 2014, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

'Grats, I guess Oak.
Another fanboy of your posts..