7 Years

Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:28 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Years

Originally Posted by graham and george
Hi ya

Great post ,hope your hubby and mum are better,we hope to move to red deer some time soon.

All the best and heres to another 7 years +
Thanks - if you need any info just ask

Originally Posted by Hawk13
For mild winters - southern BC isn't bad. If you can put up with a lot of rain and high housing costs, there's Vancouver. Or if you don't mind being on an island again, there's always Victoria.
Hmmm, rain Could be a problem, absolutely love Alberta's blue skies!

Originally Posted by feelbritish
A lot of Albertans have retired to my area - mid island. You don't really feel like you are on an Island except for the cost of ferries and air fares to get you to Vancouver, but if you don't travel much, everything is here. However, I always caution people to try it out first our winters are horribly grey and miserable and very stormy. I really suffer in the winter because there is not much to do, unlike in England you can always find some event or a pub! If you can afford the house prices, then there is always the skiing and golf which is also expensive.
Sounds just like central Alberta

Grey skies and rain really put us off the idea of BC, we are planning a trip out at some point but OH likes the idea of the Niagara region, I really liked the Midland/Georgian Bay areas.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:06 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Victoria doesn't get nearly as much rain as Vancouver - the winters are rainy instead of snow. As for summer and blue skies, there's a reason all the Albertans come to BC for holidays.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Victoria doesn't get nearly as much rain as Vancouver - the winters are rainy instead of snow. As for summer and blue skies, there's a reason all the Albertans come to BC for holidays.
Hmm. I'll pass that on to the Ontario Coalition for Responsible Resource Development's military wing which is planning an invasion. Which month would be best would you say, July?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:23 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - if you need any info just ask

Sounds just like central Alberta

Grey skies and rain really put us off the idea of BC, we are planning a trip out at some point but OH likes the idea of the Niagara region, I really liked the Midland/Georgian Bay areas.
BC covers much more than Vancouver. There are lots of areas where rain is minimal in comparison.

Plus Vancouver and surrounds aren't as bad as made out really

Try it
Old Jun 4th 2012, 4:12 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hmm. I'll pass that on to the Ontario Coalition for Responsible Resource Development's military wing which is planning an invasion. Which month would be best would you say, July?
Already started I'm afraid - it's called operation "red tide"
Old Jun 4th 2012, 4:22 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
BC covers much more than Vancouver. There are lots of areas where rain is minimal in comparison.

Plus Vancouver and surrounds aren't as bad as made out really

Try it
We will put lots of research into our next move, it won't be a 'Oh lets see if we can move to.... ' and then jump at the 1st opportunity
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

PiffPoff
Congratulations on your 7 years. We are but beginners in comparison.
Great post, sorry to hear that things have been not so good at times.

Your new adventure will keep you busy and focussed for a while. Sending our best wishes to you and the family for what ever you decide to do in the future and for what is best for you all.

MJ xx
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

Great post. Sorry to hear of your troubles - hopefully things start to look a bit brighter soon

I remember your posts about a year ago, and its interesting to read what you say about the influences of friends who were always negative about Canada/pro UK. I have been in the same situation, and I made the move back to the UK. It didn't take long to remember why I left, and that things were not all better there (for me at least).

I've lived in Alberta (Lake Louise), and BC (Shuswap area), and currently back in southern Ontario. I loved Alberta for the sunshine, but winters are loooonnnng (although usually still sunny at least ). BC interior for me was great, lots going on, but winters just killed me as the clouds just hung on the mountains... think I get a touch of the whole SAD thing in winter - probably another reason I no longer live in west/central Scotland . Although as others have said, lots of places in BC to go to... its still my favourite province and I hope to go back and live there again. Southern Ontario - I like both areas you are talking about. As long as you can get work there, either would be good choices. And on the whole, winters are shorter here (the locals still moan, but I'd bet most of them haven't experienced an Alberta or BC winter! ). Both areas you are thinking of do/can get lots of snow though typically. Niagara area can get a lot of lake effect snow, and Midland area just gets more generally than areas a little south, but from experience I'd say even their winters will likely be shorter for you than where you are just now.

Good luck with your new place. It sounds like it will be amazing when you get it how you want it.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs-G
Great post. Sorry to hear of your troubles - hopefully things start to look a bit brighter soon

I remember your posts about a year ago, and its interesting to read what you say about the influences of friends who were always negative about Canada/pro UK. I have been in the same situation, and I made the move back to the UK. It didn't take long to remember why I left, and that things were not all better there (for me at least).

I've lived in Alberta (Lake Louise), and BC (Shuswap area), and currently back in southern Ontario. I loved Alberta for the sunshine, but winters are loooonnnng (although usually still sunny at least ). BC interior for me was great, lots going on, but winters just killed me as the clouds just hung on the mountains... think I get a touch of the whole SAD thing in winter - probably another reason I no longer live in west/central Scotland . Although as others have said, lots of places in BC to go to... its still my favourite province and I hope to go back and live there again. Southern Ontario - I like both areas you are talking about. As long as you can get work there, either would be good choices. And on the whole, winters are shorter here (the locals still moan, but I'd bet most of them haven't experienced an Alberta or BC winter! ). Both areas you are thinking of do/can get lots of snow though typically. Niagara area can get a lot of lake effect snow, and Midland area just gets more generally than areas a little south, but from experience I'd say even their winters will likely be shorter for you than where you are just now.

Good luck with your new place. It sounds like it will be amazing when you get it how you want it.
Thank you for your lovely reply, today is moving day (well the movers have been here for two days already) we have to be out by noon. Trying to stay positive atm.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Piff Poff I really found your post touched a chord. I'm somewhat negative about Canadian winters.., so I shall have to just wait and see. Over the last couple or few years we've had problems with family illness and a whole host of things that basically put us in a pretty bad situation at the time, and the future looked very sticky. I definitely found that some people flocked around and hammered on the negativity and they made me feel a whole lot worse. I only have three really good friends that I 've known all my life - they don't live near but were on the phone and really supportive. I ditched all the others...you don't need other people raining on your parade when it's peeing down outside! I hope your move goes well...bloody knackering isn't it! Very best of luck.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF
Piff Poff I really found your post touched a chord. I'm somewhat negative about Canadian winters.., so I shall have to just wait and see. Over the last couple or few years we've had problems with family illness and a whole host of things that basically put us in a pretty bad situation at the time, and the future looked very sticky. I definitely found that some people flocked around and hammered on the negativity and they made me feel a whole lot worse. I only have three really good friends that I 've known all my life - they don't live near but were on the phone and really supportive. I ditched all the others...you don't need other people raining on your parade when it's peeing down outside! I hope your move goes well...bloody knackering isn't it! Very best of luck.
We're in! I am surrounded by boxes and carton and garbage bags (ran out of boxes). I could sleep for a week
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:19 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody good going girl! I too am surrounded by boxes, but my son has gone to his mate for a sleepover and I am sitting idly on the sofa, playing on the Internet with a cat on my lap, in solitary splendour...I have big plans for the evening too involving a DVD and a bag of mini KitKats! Take a bit of time off for YOU time when you have a mo PP, I can feel myself becoming less of a super bitch by the second.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

We're in! I am surrounded by boxes and carton and garbage bags (ran out of boxes). I could sleep for a week
Good luck in the new place.

If it any consolation,I still have boxes to unpack and we move in about 8 weeks ago.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:23 pm

Yay, appliances have arrived and the fridge is two inches bigger than the measurements in store so a little stressed