6 Months in B.C.

Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:14 am
Just Joined

TheScotty is a jewel in the roughTheScotty is a jewel in the roughTheScotty is a jewel in the roughTheScotty is a jewel in the rough
Default 6 Months in B.C.

Hello!

I was reading through other peoples experiences, checked the date and realised its 6 months to the day since my wife and I arrived in Vancouver!

We came here on a one year 'working holiday' visa with no longer term plans. We are loving our time here and are looking into staying longer. We had hoped to extend our stay by reapplying for a second working holiday visa but it looks like we are too old to qualify now (we were on the limit when we applied for year one). Looks like we will need assistance from our respective employers if we wish to stay, the only catch for me is that if I was to stay longer I would ideally search for more of a 'career' job than what I'm doing just now.

We both found work fairly quickly and a great area to live in, got bank accounts, I have a BC drivers licence and a credit card and I'm part of two car sharing schemes. Its all been pretty easy.

So far there hasn't been even one day that I have missed home. That could be a combination of this place still feeling new and the excitement of being away having planned it for a long time and the fact that Vancouver is a great place to live.

Whatever happens the thought of being back in the UK right now isn't one that appeals to me

Cheers
Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future
Default Re: 6 Months in B.C.

Originally Posted by TheScotty
Hello!

I was reading through other peoples experiences, checked the date and realised its 6 months to the day since my wife and I arrived in Vancouver!

We came here on a one year 'working holiday' visa with no longer term plans. We are loving our time here and are looking into staying longer. We had hoped to extend our stay by reapplying for a second working holiday visa but it looks like we are too old to qualify now (we were on the limit when we applied for year one). Looks like we will need assistance from our respective employers if we wish to stay, the only catch for me is that if I was to stay longer I would ideally search for more of a 'career' job than what I'm doing just now.

We both found work fairly quickly and a great area to live in, got bank accounts, I have a BC drivers licence and a credit card and I'm part of two car sharing schemes. Its all been pretty easy.

So far there hasn't been even one day that I have missed home. That could be a combination of this place still feeling new and the excitement of being away having planned it for a long time and the fact that Vancouver is a great place to live.

Whatever happens the thought of being back in the UK right now isn't one that appeals to me

Cheers
x

sounds fab, you both must be having fun if times flying like that. im hoping ill be the same when i eventually get there as i dont want missing my family and friends to shorten my adventure any.
its good to hear posts like yours to add to the balance. i hope you manage to sort out some thing more long term...best of luck

Last edited by angelic applicant; Nov 25th 2012 at 11:11 am.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

ScarySquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you're having an awesome times. My girlfriend and I will be joining you out there in March 2013, we can't wait. Fortunately at 27 and 28 we're just about able to squeeze in a 2nd year before we get too old.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 12:59 pm
UX Designer & Developer

f3rilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: 6 Months in B.C.

Sounds great, I'll be moving to Vancouver as well right after my graduation here in London. Reading all these post just gets me excited! Glad your enjoying your life there dude
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

maartenvr is just really nicemaartenvr is just really nicemaartenvr is just really nicemaartenvr is just really nicemaartenvr is just really nicemaartenvr is just really nicemaartenvr is just really nicemaartenvr is just really nice

Best part of Canada!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

Can i ask what line of work you in to have found work so quickly?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:17 am
Just Joined

TheScotty is a jewel in the roughTheScotty is a jewel in the roughTheScotty is a jewel in the roughTheScotty is a jewel in the rough

Sure. I am a Carpenter originally (with a degree thrown in along the way) but I came here with the mindset of trying something different but ultimately willing to work doing anything to allow us to stay and enjoy ourselves (we are on a working holiday visa after all). I did look at some Carpentry jobs but most wanted someone with their own transport and tools (of which I have neither).

I ended up taking the first job I was offered (which came within a week of applying) doing maintenance work for 4 buildings downtown. My rate of pay is only slightly less than I could expect as a carpenter here and far more than if I worked in retail or in a bar, which I was willing to do.

Depending on how specific you want to be the general consensus is there is lots of work out there. I guess I was just lucky in terms of how quick it happened.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Also Christmas and New Year has come and gone.

Whilst it could never match up to back home without family and friends we still had a great time and I still haven't ever thought of being back in the UK.

Best of luck to those of you planning to come out here. I am sure you will love it.