Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 month Canniversary

6 month Canniversary

Old Jul 12th 2009, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

pollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to all
Default 6 month Canniversary

We have been in Devon Alberta now for 6 months. It has had its ups and downs but mostly ups. We left our 2 adult children in England which was a wrench but as they said we had to follow our dream. We had visited Canada lots of times but not this area. We came here as my OH had been offered a job just outside Edmonton. We stayed in a B & B here for the first 3 weeks until we found a house to rent which was a struggle. We just could not find anywhere, all houses were gone before we could even get to see them. Finally found one and settled in and our dog was flown over in February. She is 13 and loves it here. She had a coat and boots in the snow and loves walking along the river.
Lows since been here has been just the one really. Husband was put on a temporary job lay off week before we flew back to england and Cyprus for 3 weeks for son's wedding. We didn't want to tell anyone before wedding as they would worry so we had the worry of whether he would have a job when we went back. When we got back here he found another job but because we are not PR's yet had to go through LMO route again. Then original employer asked him back and to stay on. So we had to seriously think, did he stay where he was or change to new employer. As our PNP is going through and if he changed jobs would have to start again, after asking his employer many questions he has decided to stay with them. So fingers crossed all goes well there.
We have made a few good friends. The family at the B & B have been so good to us since we arrived and welcomed us into their family, inviting us to parties, lending us furniture until ours arrived etc. Someone who John works with and his wife are English and have been here for about 2 years. they have helped us with things and we have been out with them a lot. My husband is at the moment playing golf with someone else he works with.
We had our friends who live in Ontario visit us at Easter, my Mum and sister are coming for a visit in September and other friends and family will come soon we hope.
All in all we love it here and will feel more settled once we have sold our house in England and bought one here and we get our PR status.
I miss my family a lot but video skype helps a lot as I talk to our children on this every day.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 month Canniversary

Sounds like you are settling in well. Its amazing how generous complete strangers can be. The tenous job situation can be terrifying though of you dont have PR to fall back on.

Wish I was golfing today....
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:46 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

congrats to you both We left our grown up children behind and although they have their ups and downs about us being away, in general they are ok.

We found the same as you that expats and Canadians alike have been very friendly and taken us under their wing providing us with advice and things.

I hope your PR application goes through quickly so you can feel more stable.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

pollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to all

Thank you so do we, we have our PNP application going through since beginning of May and have acknoledgement of it. So waiting game now.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you both - hope the job situation becomes more permanent and settled and the PR comes through ok.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Clay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura about

Congrats! Devon is nice wee place. If you need any info on Edmonton and area from someone with 3 years there, feel free to PM.