52 plus

Old Mar 14th 2019, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

MRCT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 52 plus

Just discovered this site, been very interesting reading many threads that I can relate to. I am posting this in the Canniversary thread, even though mine was 2.5 months ago. I think I win the numbers game though as I arrived 52 years ago, January 2nd, 1967.It was a Public Holiday, which I thought what a nice way to welcome me, but it turned out it that January 1st was a Sunday and therefore Monday was the holiday LOL. In the UK, New Years Day was not a Public Holiday at that time, not sure if it is now.
I was fortunate to get a job in my profession within 10 days. A friend who had arrived 9 months earlier advised if you can get a job paying $100- per week, that would be very good. The first job didn’t quite get there but the second one later that year did.
Canada has been very good to me, married a Canadian girl in 1969 (50th anniversary coming up in May), had a wonderful 30 year career with a great company that required travel to all Provinces, many States and Europe. In 1997 we had a mid-life change and bought a seasonal travel business. We are now fully retired and living close to our 2 children and 5 grandkids in the GTA.
I am now “giving back” for my good fortune, volunteering by assisting new immigrants learn English. Many have come as refugees from countries with horrible living conditions and are so happy to be in Canada. They sing Oh Canada with great enthusiasm!
I have not been back to the UK recently, the last 3 trips were for funerals, so not too enjoyable.
To prospective immigrants I would say that Canada would be as great for them as it was for me 52 years ago, hard work and a little luck will do it.Just don’t forget why you are leaving the UK for Canada. Fifty years ago there was the “$1,000- Cure”. This was about the family that immigrated, was very homesick, missed the pubs and Saturday afternoon soccer games, so left Canada and went back to the UK. But, they soon realized that there are more important things that pubs and soccer; family potential, quality of life, standard of living etc., so they sold up again and returned to Canada. Total cost at that time was $1,000-, would be much more today!
Old Mar 14th 2019, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 52 plus

Congratulations!

We arrived in August 1968, so it will 51 years for us.

OH came to a job, I played at being a lady of leisure for 3 or 4 months then finally got the job of my dreams in May 1969.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!! 52 years! wow! a few things have changed in both countries in that time.....and between the two countries.

It sounds like it was the best move you ever made! nice to hear!

I think you have nailed the things I miss about the UK too.....the pubs and the beer! lol not a soccer fan, but I enjoy rugby....but can watch the 6 nations over here, which I will be tomorrow. The only other thing I miss is my two nephews growing up, but for the most part I am of the same opinion as you. I think its like you say, just remember the solid reasons you came here in the first place, and you wont go far wrong.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 3:32 am
Just Joined

MRCT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, back then any rugby or soccer games would have been seen here 24 hours later, after the 16mm film was flown over!If one wanted to call home, you had to call Bell and book an appointment time for later that week. If you wanted to buy a 24 case of beer, you had to go to a Beer Store, fill out and sign a requisition, give it in and someone would go and get the case from the back. No bottles or cases could be on display!
Old Mar 16th 2019, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MRCT
Thanks, back then any rugby or soccer games would have been seen here 24 hours later, after the 16mm film was flown over!If one wanted to call home, you had to call Bell and book an appointment time for later that week. If you wanted to buy a 24 case of beer, you had to go to a Beer Store, fill out and sign a requisition, give it in and someone would go and get the case from the back. No bottles or cases could be on display!
We were only about 18 months later than you arriving in Canada.

I wasn't interested in watching rugby or soccer, though OH was involved in Canadian rugby and I used to go watch the games he was refereeing..

BUT .......... not sure where you were for having to book a time to call home. We came to B ( still here) .......... we just picked up the phone and dialled the number, using whichever country code was required. Telus was obviously better than Bell

"Beer Store" was called Government Liquor Store here, but yes, operated on the same system. And you weren't allowed to ask the guys behind the counter any question as to which was the best wine to go with fish or meat, or which red or white they would recommend!

You also could not buy any liquor with a meal in a restaurant on a Sunday. Good old Wacky Bennett and his antique liquor laws.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 8:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Happy (belated) anniversary, MRTC!
Old Mar 20th 2019, 2:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! Congratulations MRCT, thank you for posting about your journey - 52 very happy years from the sounds of it!

Welcome also to BE - I hope that you will hang around and join in ... perhaps offer some insights for new and potential immigrants or hang out in the Maple Leaf

50 years of marriage as well.. another huge success!