Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4 years in Nova Scotia

4 years in Nova Scotia

Old Mar 10th 2015, 12:49 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 years in Nova Scotia

Tomorrow is our 4th Canniversary and I believe that looking back it took about 3.5 years to really get settled here.
I now have a great job that I just love, that I am keen to be in every day. I work for a great, forward thinking company. Hubby is now back in his line of work but has to deal with the BS that is seniority and lazy management. I sometimes wonder if its just in NS that we have so much of this, I am not sure.
We have a great home, girls are settled and loving their lives. We ski, we holiday in Florida in winter and have driven down to New York in the summer. We enjoy the lifestyle, the fresh air, the calm and quiet (although that statement doesn’t ring true driving in and out of Halifax in commute time), the space around our home and the community we live in that has been, from day 1, welcoming.
I volunteer in that community and have met some truly great people.
I am tired of being taxed to death here (income taxes more so than sales tax), that makes me savage. I am tired of the BS around seniority, especially in government jobs. It seems that the lazy are so protected even though they do a terrible job that they have often been promoted into regardless of whether they deserve it or are capable.
I worry at times about what may happen should I lose this job, I mean who knows whats ahead. In short, there are not many companies like this here and it takes a while, often, to get a new position in this province.
I love the size and feel of Halifax. Its beautiful to me and I love the changing countryside from lakes and forests up to rolling countryside as you get more to the centre of the Province.
I love the snow (although this February sucked big time!) and the summers and the Fall. I love the humidity (I am odd there I know) but I don’t appreciate Spring here. Its short and ugly and cold still and it comes a month too late really.
I love the way my children are so happy but I wonder about their future here…. Will there be the opportunities that they need?
Old Mar 10th 2015, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

...hmm... is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4 years in Nova Scotia

Congrats on the 4 year anniversary, you're about 5 months ahead of us!

Totally agree NS has a lot to offer in terms of the lakes etc and we enjoy our views over one of the lakes that even encouraged me to take up fishing.

Snow this winter has been a bit of a pain but you just work through it and before you know you'll have warm and sunny summer!

Not sure on future opportunities but for us, severe lack of work means we probably won't be here for the 4 year anniversary. If we leave, it will be with regret.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Tomorrow is our 4th Canniversary and I believe that looking back it took about 3.5 years to really get settled here.
I now have a great job that I just love, that I am keen to be in every day. I work for a great, forward thinking company. Hubby is now back in his line of work but has to deal with the BS that is seniority and lazy management. I sometimes wonder if its just in NS that we have so much of this, I am not sure.
We have a great home, girls are settled and loving their lives. We ski, we holiday in Florida in winter and have driven down to New York in the summer. We enjoy the lifestyle, the fresh air, the calm and quiet (although that statement doesn’t ring true driving in and out of Halifax in commute time), the space around our home and the community we live in that has been, from day 1, welcoming.
I volunteer in that community and have met some truly great people.
I am tired of being taxed to death here (income taxes more so than sales tax), that makes me savage. I am tired of the BS around seniority, especially in government jobs. It seems that the lazy are so protected even though they do a terrible job that they have often been promoted into regardless of whether they deserve it or are capable.
I worry at times about what may happen should I lose this job, I mean who knows whats ahead. In short, there are not many companies like this here and it takes a while, often, to get a new position in this province.
I love the size and feel of Halifax. Its beautiful to me and I love the changing countryside from lakes and forests up to rolling countryside as you get more to the centre of the Province.
I love the snow (although this February sucked big time!) and the summers and the Fall. I love the humidity (I am odd there I know) but I don’t appreciate Spring here. Its short and ugly and cold still and it comes a month too late really.
I love the way my children are so happy but I wonder about their future here…. Will there be the opportunities that they need?

Congratulations on your 4th milestone in NS! I must say form what i have seen i love Nova Scotia, as you say the scenary seems to have a bit of everything, I had a 10days vacation there a couple of years ago, and would love to return, i can see what you enjoy about it.

Like you i enjoy my life in Canada now, bit it does worry me if I lost my job, as so much relies on it, its not like being in the UK where all you have to worry about there is the mortgage, here, if the job goes, everything goes with it....namely benefits, oh and you hard earned vacation you have built up!

That said we shouldnt focus too much on negative waves and enjoy what we have now! I believe at this moment in my life, i am getting more out of life than i would of if was still in the UK, (even being taxed to death) and it very much sounds like you are the same. I hope the good times carry on that way for you. Enjoy.

Paul.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:24 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, hopefully many happy years to come
Old Mar 18th 2015, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Yay!!! 4 years!!! It seems like yesterday that you came to visit us a couple of days before you flew to Canada! I was so jealous that you were getting to make the big move before us!
Congrats, glad you're having lots more ups than downs.
Hope the snow isn't getting you down too much. I have to say that I'm very glad that I was in Ontario this winter rather than NS.

Here's to another 4 years
Old Mar 18th 2015, 1:09 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Yay!!! 4 years!!! It seems like yesterday that you came to visit us a couple of days before you flew to Canada! I was so jealous that you were getting to make the big move before us!
Congrats, glad you're having lots more ups than downs.
Hope the snow isn't getting you down too much. I have to say that I'm very glad that I was in Ontario this winter rather than NS.

Here's to another 4 years
awe thank you! We must see each other when you are next back here 😎 damn snow is doing my head in ❄️❄️❄️❄️⛄️
Old Mar 18th 2015, 1:49 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
awe thank you! We must see each other when you are next back here 😎 damn snow is doing my head in ❄️❄️❄️❄️⛄️
Congratulations and best wishes for a lot more great years.