Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 years and the things I have done

2 years and the things I have done

Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 years and the things I have done

I sold my house and car landed at Pearson with a small lottery win (however the smile didnt last too long)

I took a year off work (Paternity leave), my Daughter Mary-Lou was a 10-10-10 baby. She's now 2, can count to 20, can to additions 1-20, has a laptop and a desktop and is more computer literate than most 40 year olds!

My Dad came over last year to visit his GrandDaughter he'd never seen, only spent 10 days with her and died of a heart attack, walking up the road , was found 3 hours later DOA.

I found that the stuff that familly (here told me) was pretty much BS, and I had to start again from scratch, the "I love your accent" wore off pretty damn quick when I was getting knocked back from Agencies let alone Employers.

I managed to get a job, pretty much basic rate in a factory, but it had a tech edge, studied for a known international certification (in my field), which I passed on my Birthday.

I celebrated our wedding anniversary at The Ritz in Toronto and 7 months later my daughters birthday at the same.

I traded my Porsche for a Dodge Neon and a Minivan was now my preferred ride of choice, yo word up gangsta style its not cool being a minivan dad, but hey, I'm a dad right.

Finally got the 50" flat screen and an internet stick, Toshiba laptop.

Did some radio work in Guelph and now an Analyst in a technical helpdesk for a corporation.

It's been a bloody battle all the way, it only took me just over 2 years to get some kinda decent work and some stability.

Only recommend it for the youngs un's , if I ever get married again, I'll make sure I'll drag my wife over to live with me, not the other way round

Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years and the things I have done

Jaye what an interesting post. You've certainly had a few experiences since your arrival! Congratulations on your lovely Mary-Lou...my husband wanted to call our son 'Porche' so that he'd always be reminded of what he gave up...who needs a car!

Yes, the 'I love your accent' gets a bit tiresome, especially if you feel they aren't listening to 'what' you say, instead of just the way you say it.

You must be so pleased that your Dad got to see your daughter before he died. What a horrible shock for you all.

If I ever marry again, it's going to be someone from a warm country!

All the very best!