Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 Years in Edmonton

2 Years in Edmonton

Old Apr 12th 2015, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 Years in Edmonton

I know lots of you despise Edmonton for various reasons,but I like the place.

Anyway,the first year was not as tough as expected,we had come to Canada with $3,500 dollars and our suitcases,no property in the UK,and no gifts from well off parents etc..
We have had a great time so far,work has been good and I have made way more money than I ever would in the UK,the change in lifestyle has been simply AMAZING for us.
I know some better off people and people with well off parents don't seem to feel the same about their experience in Canada,well that's NOT us!!

We now have all our furniture(no air beds now lol),an F150(something I NEVER dreamed of owning),we go shooting,hunting,off roading,my oldest daughter even won a ski trip to Jasper for being one of the two best pupils at her school last year,she moved school as we moved house but her old school called us and asked if she could still go on the trip FREE!!

The missus is pregnant and expecting around October,the doctors have been great so far and the medication for her HG actually works here unlike the medication that she was given time and time again in the UK which NEVER worked on her,ok I have to pay for it,but the union refunds me the cost 2-3 weeks later so no big deal there.

We have made some GREAT friends here,Canadians,Irish,Polish,Croatian,Chilean,Portu geee,Vietnamese etc..etc... I have to say that the friends that we have made here have been nothing short of AMAZING compared to the majority of people we have met in the UK despite knowing us for a short period!

Overall I am extremely happy with moving to Canada,and can not imagine EVER wanting to return to the UK,and am looking forward to many more years over here.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 2:01 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Years in Edmonton

Originally Posted by scootb

Anyway,the first year was not as tough as expected,we had come to Canada with $3,500 dollars and our suitcases,no property in the UK,and no gifts from well off parents etc..
We have had a great time so far,work has been good and I have made way more money than I ever would in the UK,the change in lifestyle has been simply AMAZING for us.
I know some better off people and people with well off parents don't seem to feel the same about their experience in Canada,well that's NOT us!!

We now have all our furniture(no air beds now lol),an F150(something I NEVER dreamed of owning),we go shooting,hunting,off roading,my oldest daughter even won a ski trip to Jasper for being one of the two best pupils at her school last year,she moved school as we moved house but her old school called us and asked if she could still go on the trip FREE!!

The missus is pregnant and expecting around October,the doctors have been great so far and the medication for her HG actually works here unlike the medication that she was given time and time again in the UK which NEVER worked on her,ok I have to pay for it,but the union refunds me the cost 2-3 weeks later so no big deal there.

We have made some GREAT friends here,Canadians,Irish,Polish,Croatian,Chilean,Portu geee,Vietnamese etc..etc... I have to say that the friends that we have made here have been nothing short of AMAZING compared to the majority of people we have met in the UK despite knowing us for a short period!

Overall I am extremely happy with moving to Canada,and can not imagine EVER wanting to return to the UK,and am looking forward to many more years over here.
Congrats buddy 2 years already, seems like you are settling in well. Glad all is going well for you. 5 months and we will have been here two years, we have no plans to ever head back to the UK
Old Apr 12th 2015, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Congratulations on both your 2 years and also little one on the way! We're just outside Red Deer in Sylvan Lake - hubby moved in October last year and myself and the kids joined him in January

Last edited by graham and george; Apr 12th 2015 at 4:06 am.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham and george
Congratulations on both your 2 years and also little one on the way! We're just outside Red Deer in Sylvan Lake - hubby moved in October last year and myself and the kids joined him in January
How are you guys finding the move?
My missus has had a few ups and downs but for the most part prefers Canada,even more so now that we got our PR.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 4:19 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Scootb...very many congratulstions Well Done. It's really nice when a plan comes together!

Sounds like you and your growing family are thriving, hope it all continues to go splendidly

What's HG?
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MillieF
Scootb...very many congratulstions Well Done. It's really nice when a plan comes together!

Sounds like you and your growing family are thriving, hope it all continues to go splendidly

What's HG?
Thanks Millie we are all pretty chuffed now
HG is Hyperemesis Gravidarum is pretty much like having morning sickness all day every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperemesis_gravidarum
Old Apr 20th 2015, 12:54 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Thank you for letting me know. A girlfriend of mine had that and it was ghastly, but she had a happy bouncing baby in the end

Very best of luck to you all!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh Thank you for letting me know. A girlfriend of mine had that and it was ghastly, but she had a happy bouncing baby in the end

Very best of luck to you all!
Yeah lol, they do say crappy pregnancy,good birth,and the 3 previous pregnancies were nightmares but the births were simple and gave us 3 strong healthy girls that are just a bit too clever lol.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah lol, they do say crappy pregnancy,good birth,and the 3 previous pregnancies were nightmares but the births were simple and gave us 3 strong healthy girls that are just a bit too clever lol.
Where did I go wrong then - HG *and* a crappy birth! Luckily she's been an angel ever since to make up for it.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Where did I go wrong then - HG *and* a crappy birth! Luckily she's been an angel ever since to make up for it.
Ok for some,we have 3 demons lol.
I guess they all have their moments,just when they decide haha,the dog is better behaved!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 4:48 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

"City of Losers"
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbrown89
"City of Losers"
I would have expected that to come from one of those Eastern sheep tamperers rather than a fellow West coaster
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:44 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

It's hockey related, they have the sign when you go into Edmonton saying city of champions....
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you scootb!!! sounds like your move has worked out well!! I think some people expect too much too soon, you are proof that you don't need a whack load of cash to make the move, just patience, perserverance and a good idea of what you want from such a move, and what your getting yourself into, that said a little luck does help you along the way too, I hope it continues for you!
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys.
cbrown,I know mate,was joking with you bud(I'm from Ayrshire,and Glasgow myself)

Paul,we slept on air beds for the first few months(the kids loved it lol),I worked 6 days a week 8-11 hour shifts for the first year,the second year I was working 10 hour shifts 6-7 nights a week for most of the year so that really helped get us on our feet.
I had honestly expected things to be a lot tougher than what it has been,it has surprised me just how easily everything has gone for us!

When I first looked into Canada,my father told me to go for it as we had nothing in the UK,and that we would always regret not taking the chance,if it didn't work out he said our relatives would help fly us back to the UK,thankfully it did work out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.