Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 Years and Counting

2 Years and Counting

Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 Years and Counting

Today I realized today that Monday will be my second anniversary of landing and becoming a resident of Canada. I can't believe how quickly time seams to have flown by. It seams like yesterday that I was all depressed and moping about the UK waiting for the request to send in my passport and have that visa stamped inside.

When I landed in Oct 2006, I was fortunate to have some friends here and they put me up in their basement/den for 4 months. The first year was a blast, the first 4 months were basically a holiday along with doing research and getting all the paper work, got DL and SIN in order, getting my container cleared and stored. For the next 8 months I bought renovated two apartments in North Vancouver and all was well with the world. At the end of the year I looked back and it was a great 1st Canadian year. This year I found a 3rd apartment to renovate, the mortgage broker managed to cock up the mortgage application, but that was sorted at the 11th hour and the sale proceeded. The renovations went well and as I was busy working, the market started to take it's first few faltering steps. I finished the apartment back in May and to this date it hasn't had an offer made on it. So for the second part of this year I have been hiring myself out as a handyman doing renovations for others. This all came to somewhat of a dramatic stop when I managed to injure myself and cut of part of my left thumb - pics available on request. I am right handed so it's not my dominante hand that was injured.

I can't be happier with the BC medical system, after the accident I was able to call 911 and the fire department showed up within 6 mins, they basically did more to stop the bleeding and gave me oxygen, but no pain meds. Then the ambulance showed up and they took over and rushed me to hospital A&E. I was taken in to an exam room and had to wait for about 90 mins to be seen, the pain was terrible and they didn't medicate me , eventually the doc came by and prodded and poked and said that the missing bit was beyond repair, so he injected lots of local pain killer and cleaned up the wound and dressed it. I was told that A&E no longer suture wounds like mine and it would be left open for the plastic surgeon. I was discharged from A&E into the care of some friends of mine. I they were told not to leave me alone for at least the first 24 hours. There was a problem, I was supposed to be helping my friend move in 3 days. My friends were fantastic and they took me to see the plastic surgeon. The surgeon had a look at the wound and decided that I would need a skin graft to cover the wound and he arranged for me to go into hospital the next day and have the procedure. I got lots of great pain meds that did manage to reduce the pain quite considerably at the disadvantage of almost being catatonic when they kicked in. I was still at my friends place when they moved and was able to help a little. I saw the doc twice a week for dressing changes and evaluation for about a month and then was sent to see the occupational health and physio for rehabilitation of the thumb. I am really impressed with the Canadian health system so far, they have been very helpful and prompt with my treatment. I am still seeing the physio, but everything is slowly mending. Although that took a lot to write it was a significant, but minor, and predominately self inflicted wound that has only improved my view of my adopted home. The accident happened about 7 weeks ago and I am back a work doing a couple of bathroom renovations.

I am still hoping to sell my latest apartment, but with the global crash that's happen it's not looking too likely in the short term, but I am getting lots of work from friends and advertising on Craigslist. I am most defiantly not on holiday any more, but I am still enjoying Canada, my new friends and my new Life.

In North Vancouver I have so many amenities on my doorstep, I try an play badminton twice a week and have met some good friends. This year I have experienced snowmobiling and skiing, hiking, camping and lots of time with new friends, next sumer I am hoping to do some jet-skiing and boating.

I still think that CANADA was the best move for me I just wish it had happened 10 or 20 years ago.

To all those that went through the process with me and are still are here, I hope you're enjoying Canada as much as I am, to those that went home I hope you finally found what you were looking for.

To those that helped me on getting here I can't thank you enough, you have helped change my life in so many wonderful ways.

To those still waiting, I hope you will eventually have as wonderful a time as I am having, Good Luck with your application, I hope your dreams come true soon.

All the best to you all

Dozzzzy (a.k.a David)
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:40 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 Years and Counting

Happy Canniversary, David!
May the house-selling and thumb-protecting gods be more on your side from now on! ;o)
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:57 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Dozzzzy!!!

Is this your annual post?

Congratulations on your two years. We've just had our third Canniverary. Next stop citizenship!!!!

Like you, best move we ever made!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your second canniversary
Take care of the other thumb as well and hope that
you are able to sell your condo soon.
Yoong
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Dozzzy,

I remember you. However, we're still here in the UK (and staying now). Glad you're enjoying your new life, sorry to hear about your accident with your thumb ..... like Yoong said be careful with your other one and make sure you keep it!

Happy Canniversary!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:34 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey happy canniversary! We just had our 4th canniversay (Sept 9th) and I was so busy I missed it!!! We can't wait to become citizens now.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

People who read these threads will be enthused by your positive outlook on your move to Canada despite some painful downs. This optimism is echoed on many other threads and bodes well for future path changers from the old world.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Congratulations.

We have been here 2 years too, and 13th April next year will be our 3 yr anniversary.

And so fa we are loving it.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:33 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

One and a half thumbs up!

My two year is also this October.
Gotta love it!!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Khiran is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations.
This what I call a positive person.....
All the best.....
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

ScottishJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Khiran
Congratulations.
This what I call a positive person.....
All the best.....
A heart-warming tale! I am brand new to this site and only 4 months into my application. So I need to keep hearing about the success stories to keep my motivation going!
Congratulations on your success.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:00 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
Today I realized today that Monday will be my second anniversary of landing and becoming a resident of Canada. I can't believe how quickly time seams to have flown by. It seams like yesterday that I was all depressed and moping about the UK waiting for the request to send in my passport and have that visa stamped inside.

When I landed in Oct 2006, I was fortunate to have some friends here and they put me up in their basement/den for 4 months. The first year was a blast, the first 4 months were basically a holiday along with doing research and getting all the paper work, got DL and SIN in order, getting my container cleared and stored. For the next 8 months I bought renovated two apartments in North Vancouver and all was well with the world. At the end of the year I looked back and it was a great 1st Canadian year. This year I found a 3rd apartment to renovate, the mortgage broker managed to cock up the mortgage application, but that was sorted at the 11th hour and the sale proceeded. The renovations went well and as I was busy working, the market started to take it's first few faltering steps. I finished the apartment back in May and to this date it hasn't had an offer made on it. So for the second part of this year I have been hiring myself out as a handyman doing renovations for others. This all came to somewhat of a dramatic stop when I managed to injure myself and cut of part of my left thumb - pics available on request. I am right handed so it's not my dominante hand that was injured.

I can't be happier with the BC medical system, after the accident I was able to call 911 and the fire department showed up within 6 mins, they basically did more to stop the bleeding and gave me oxygen, but no pain meds. Then the ambulance showed up and they took over and rushed me to hospital A&E. I was taken in to an exam room and had to wait for about 90 mins to be seen, the pain was terrible and they didn't medicate me , eventually the doc came by and prodded and poked and said that the missing bit was beyond repair, so he injected lots of local pain killer and cleaned up the wound and dressed it. I was told that A&E no longer suture wounds like mine and it would be left open for the plastic surgeon. I was discharged from A&E into the care of some friends of mine. I they were told not to leave me alone for at least the first 24 hours. There was a problem, I was supposed to be helping my friend move in 3 days. My friends were fantastic and they took me to see the plastic surgeon. The surgeon had a look at the wound and decided that I would need a skin graft to cover the wound and he arranged for me to go into hospital the next day and have the procedure. I got lots of great pain meds that did manage to reduce the pain quite considerably at the disadvantage of almost being catatonic when they kicked in. I was still at my friends place when they moved and was able to help a little. I saw the doc twice a week for dressing changes and evaluation for about a month and then was sent to see the occupational health and physio for rehabilitation of the thumb. I am really impressed with the Canadian health system so far, they have been very helpful and prompt with my treatment. I am still seeing the physio, but everything is slowly mending. Although that took a lot to write it was a significant, but minor, and predominately self inflicted wound that has only improved my view of my adopted home. The accident happened about 7 weeks ago and I am back a work doing a couple of bathroom renovations.

I am still hoping to sell my latest apartment, but with the global crash that's happen it's not looking too likely in the short term, but I am getting lots of work from friends and advertising on Craigslist. I am most defiantly not on holiday any more, but I am still enjoying Canada, my new friends and my new Life.

In North Vancouver I have so many amenities on my doorstep, I try an play badminton twice a week and have met some good friends. This year I have experienced snowmobiling and skiing, hiking, camping and lots of time with new friends, next sumer I am hoping to do some jet-skiing and boating.

I still think that CANADA was the best move for me I just wish it had happened 10 or 20 years ago.

To all those that went through the process with me and are still are here, I hope you're enjoying Canada as much as I am, to those that went home I hope you finally found what you were looking for.

To those that helped me on getting here I can't thank you enough, you have helped change my life in so many wonderful ways.

To those still waiting, I hope you will eventually have as wonderful a time as I am having, Good Luck with your application, I hope your dreams come true soon.

All the best to you all

Dozzzzy (a.k.a David)
Congratulations and so glad that you have found Canada exciting. we will have been here two years in January and I love it........... Found the exact job I wanted and have made some great friends and love the seasons. My hubby is the one who still has days where he finds it difficult but there arent many of them. (thank goodness)
Happy snow blowing
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:54 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and heres to many more
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniversary, I'm glad things are working out well for you even though you have lost a part of yourself, I'm sure you have gained more in experience!

Hope the world continues to turn the right way for you!