2 years !!

Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:56 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 years !!

This is the third time I've written this as my browser keeps closing !

I arrived 2 years today leaving my wife and 2 boys in the UK to finish GCSE's, sell the house etc and they joined by 9 months later.

We were going to move to Kelowna but the job offer came through and we are in Ontario.

I was in a B&B until they arrived. A small room painted a disgusting green colour with a picture of Princess Diana over the bed (I bet she saw some sights...) that was only big enough for a bed and not much else. It was clean, warm and dry though and a short walk to a pub with Thursday wing night.

I finalised the house we live in before the family arrived and we moved in 3 weeks after they arrived. They had only seen it online and via Skype / video. Not something we'd do again !

My wife says it still doesn't quite feel like home (but getting there) with the house even though we've painted every room in the house and the front room 4 different times in deifferent colours and she's still not 100%.

She couldn't transfer her NVQ's easily so changed path completly and is currently a team leader in a clothing store and enjoys it mostly.

Eldest (25) has a part time job in the mall but also getting paid soccer coaching and he's trying to turn that into more of a career and doing well so far - his degree is sports coaching.

Youngest (17) has settled down well and was the biggest worry but says he's enjoying it and glad he's here. He's doing his young drivers so happy there also.

we had a cat from the pound but he went out one day and never came back.

We got a puppy at 6 weeks and she is now 6 months and part of the family.

I've stopped complaining for the most part about the price of Cheese, chicken, electric and car insurance. Though it still pi$$es me off I can't just get a wine/beer from a supermarket in Ontario.

Would we be better off in the UK? No idea and not something I look at as we are here now and need to make the most of where we are. I believe the boys are definitely better off here and wouldn't be where they are now if they were still in the UK. They think the same.

Would we move back ? At the moment no but that may be different in the future. Can't see us doing before we get citizenship but that is some time off also I suppose.

We've got a group of friends that are pretty much 'on our wavelength' that is good to meet up with every now and then.

We've had friends and family visiting which is good and my In-Laws are due in 3 weeks time for 6 weeks over Christmas...

All in all - I think a success so far. Still miss some things of the UK and likely will for sometime but not a lot we can do about it !
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years !!

Glad to hear that all has gone OK! We had very similar experience to you - OH (he) came over ahead of us and bought house without us seeing it - I think you and he have very understanding wives! The rest of us followed after daughter did GCSEs - this was just over 3 years ago. Moved in the day before Canada Day - house is fine, nice neighbourhood, great neighbours - the only hitch was our container got stuck in G8 security ramifications.
Kids settled well in school and daughter is now away at school in Guelph. I think most people move here with much younger children and having teenagers for such a big move is a very different undertaking - lots of different factors to take into account with schooling etc.
Don't think we'll be here for ever either - but perhaps the kids will - who knows? Like you, we'll certainly apply for citizenship when we can and that will keep options open.
I think our attitude has always been to not plan too far ahead and be prepared to flex any plans that are made to suit the situation, and so far that's worked OK.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 10:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from both of you. Twitcher and I met (with our OHs) at the meet you Animal organized but couldn't attend.

I'm going out for dinner now, but maybe I'll start a new Christmassy meet up thread later on.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Hard to believe it's been more than 2 years ago since you were in the Okanagan! Good to hear that you're all doing well in Ontario.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 12:54 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the two years!