Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2.5 months (oh boy!!)..

2.5 months (oh boy!!)..

Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:16 am
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of
Default 2.5 months (oh boy!!)..

Hi everyone.. we'll I purged all your knowledge and then disappeared!!

Life in Saskatchewan is somewhat different than I expected, but then I don't know what I expected. For those of you who weren't tormented by my numerous stupid questions about SK, my hubby and I along with our four kids moved to SK in November last year. So we are total newbies!! However, I don't think, even at this stage, that I will ever even contemplate returning. Our eldest turned 6 two weeks ago, so many of you will appreciate the challenges we faced moving our (slightly over average sized family) kids to a new bizarre place without ever even being here. So, we arrived and I guess in a town of 6,000 in rural SW Saskatchewan, where temperatures have varied from +2 to -43, its been a challenge to say the least. I've learnt how to drive in blowing snow, zero visibility, treacherous road conditions (or good/bad winter driving as its referred to), learnt how to dig out my car, learnt how to dig out my kids (actually shovelling snow has become a big part of my life ).

Our rental situation was dreadful so we bought a house, another quarter of a million in debt again... lol.. but we needed somewhere to live! Hubby loves his job and I've started up my own company and put my three youngest into daycare three days a week (is that FREEDOM I hear you screaming from the rooftops!!! - Yes it is).

You know life in Canada is different, food is different, and I think that sometimes Canadians are afraid to laugh - but when you crack them, they're great.

So... i'm sitting in my newly purchased sunroom at 11.12pm (ok its -5 instead of -15 outside and I have an electric heater beside me) and I wouldn't change one little thing about the whole experience (except I would ask that BA could have had the decency not to loose my buggy in Heathrow as I had to carry a 1 year old, hold the hand of a two year old and watch some random hippy hold my two sons hands walking in front of me, take 2 buses and a train in the airport - torture as my hubby was already here :-). However, now it seems like a distant memory and life is good. I've already got over 15 clients and my business is growing day on day. I'm doing something that I would never have done and i'm putting myself out there. Canada is a great place to reinvent yourself and be the person you always knew that you could....

Thanks guys for all your help... long live the good life in Saskatchewan (p.s. I have predicted that spring will start Feb 28 so I'll be very upset when i'm standing outside at the BBQ in -35..
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:20 am
Just Joined

slh71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2.5 months (oh boy!!)..

Wow, what a lot you have crammed into 2.5 months! It certainly sounds as though you are embracing the change and grabbing all the opportunities with both hands.

Just being nosey really, but what business have you started and how did you find your house so quickly.

I will you all the best with your new life. Me and my family are just starting out on the road to life in Canada so hopefully your story (minus a couple of kids) will be mine in a couple of years.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

Great story, great attitude! All the best for Feb 28th and your bbq!!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:07 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Missieleah! Sounds like you've got it all sorted. I take my hat off to you, you have higher energy levels than me!

Isn't it amazing how one can embrace shovelling! I shovelled for a good hour yesterday evening, I'm going to have the body of a beach babe come spring!

I can't imagine a better time to move with kids ( for the kids that is, for the parents it's horrific) as they will settle down in no time, even the six year old will be happy as hell as long as he knows mum and dad are. Very best of luck, but it doesn't sound like has anything to do with it!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:46 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Hello!

Great account of your experience! I am also intrigued to know about your little business. I too am "reinventing" myself into an entrepreneur...whatever!! We're just coming up to 5 months now and setting up this business is very much one step forwards, 2 steps back.

WE felt brave doing this, and that was even having spent around 8 weeks in BC during the previous 3 years and having a great friends network in Kamloops already. Oh and without kids. So to do what you did, utterly amazes me...hats off to you!

Katie
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Wow, hats off to you lady. Sounds like you and your family will be very happy x
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Great thread we also have 4 kids ,but are still in the uk so not the same.
Hope the new job goes well
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Good for you, sounds like you have a great attitude to life. Hope things continue to go well for you and your family.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:54 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Great write up and nice positive attitude...

Wish you the best of luck in your new (ad)venture
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

charlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond repute

Great post missieleah! I too feel as positive as you about my new life and it is great to hear someone else feeling good. I hope everything continues to go well and keep that positivity flowing!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you have adapted well,I have a friend that moved to Saskatchewan years ago, I believe he lives just outside of Moose Jaw now.

It was originally Saskatchewan I was looking into moving myself, mainly due to my friend,but Alberta beckoned with a job offer first.

My mate LOVES his life in Canada,he became a gunsmith over there,and NEVER looks back.
Well done,and all the best!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:43 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Such a great post and glad you are settling!!! Yup I wanna know what business you started too
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bunn family has a brilliant futureBunn family has a brilliant futureBunn family has a brilliant futureBunn family has a brilliant futureBunn family has a brilliant futureBunn family has a brilliant future

Great post made me laugh as I sit in my truck here in frozen Northern Alberta!
My family and I have been in Canada 6 months and cant see us going back.
Bbq's are all weathers lol.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 7:42 pm
But can't afford it

Location: Ireland thought about Qatar changed our minds to family friendly Calgary
PaddyMacLovingTheCraic will become famous soon enoughPaddyMacLovingTheCraic will become famous soon enough

What a fantastic attitude you have
Best wishes for your future and wishing you every success.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yeay, good to hear your update, I wondered how you were doing. Jealous of the sunroom, mine is frozen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.