Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

12 Weeks in Manitoba

12 Weeks in Manitoba

Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 12 Weeks in Manitoba

We arrived here in June, to be welcomed by the most beautiful summer. We had already decided we wouldn't look for jobs to start with as the kids were off school until September. This was fab as we have spent the last 12 weeks visiting areas of interest and setting up our new home (which we were very lucky to find in a rural area - I am thankful to kijiji and friends in the area who secured it for us). I am so impressed with beautiful parks here I don't think I expected the scenery to be quite so stunning. When we came on our 2 reccie trips we concentrated on schools, banks, housing etc, so didnt visit the Provincial Parks and Lakes.

We havent had to face the bugs hardly at all which many folks warned us about, which has also been a plus whilst we have been getting used to being here!

We had a few ups and downs during the immigration process, they managed to lose our forms, we had to fill them in again, then they found them and started processing us twice, but hey ho it's water under the bridge now.

We also has a bitter encounter with customs too. We had a ATV/Quad which we researched to ensure it met the requirements but they still wouldn't let it in as the sticker on it just wasn't quite right!!! That cost stung

The kids started school and have both commented on how much they prefer school here, which was great to hear for us. They said the teachers are more fun and it is a better laid back atmosphere than the school they went to in the UK.

All in all things have gone pretty well. I did get upset quite a bit the first month (I didnt expect to so soon, I thought it would be longer) because of missing family and friends, that has been the hardest bit. Nobody else in the house seemed to apart from me!!

But so far it has been a good experience, I love the area we live in, the people are friendly and we are enjoying our new lives here in Manitoba.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:22 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 Weeks in Manitoba

So you have spent the last 12 weeks effectively on 'HOLIDAY'?..winter's a coming
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
So you have spent the last 12 weeks effectively on 'HOLIDAY'?..winter's a coming

Yes it has been pretty much a holiday!

I am making up for it now as I working and I work nights!! I am being positive about winter and am going to try some winter sports! Will be interesting
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samjr400
Yes it has been pretty much a holiday!

I am making up for it now as I working and I work nights!! I am being positive about winter and am going to try some winter sports! Will be interesting
Have been in Manitoba 4 weeks now and we are all loving it. I'm working for a great employer, we are renting a lovely home in a really friendly hamlet and the young un is loving school.
Besides the cost of car insurance (which we were expecting) we have come across no negatives.
Glad that others are enjoying it as much as us.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Location: Currently: Leicestershire, UK. Hoping: Thompson, MB.
TimandLottie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samjr400
We arrived here in June, to be welcomed by the most beautiful summer. We had already decided we wouldn't look for jobs to start with as the kids were off school until September. This was fab as we have spent the last 12 weeks visiting areas of interest and setting up our new home (which we were very lucky to find in a rural area - I am thankful to kijiji and friends in the area who secured it for us). I am so impressed with beautiful parks here I don't think I expected the scenery to be quite so stunning. When we came on our 2 reccie trips we concentrated on schools, banks, housing etc, so didnt visit the Provincial Parks and Lakes.

We havent had to face the bugs hardly at all which many folks warned us about, which has also been a plus whilst we have been getting used to being here!

We had a few ups and downs during the immigration process, they managed to lose our forms, we had to fill them in again, then they found them and started processing us twice, but hey ho it's water under the bridge now.

We also has a bitter encounter with customs too. We had a ATV/Quad which we researched to ensure it met the requirements but they still wouldn't let it in as the sticker on it just wasn't quite right!!! That cost stung

The kids started school and have both commented on how much they prefer school here, which was great to hear for us. They said the teachers are more fun and it is a better laid back atmosphere than the school they went to in the UK.

All in all things have gone pretty well. I did get upset quite a bit the first month (I didnt expect to so soon, I thought it would be longer) because of missing family and friends, that has been the hardest bit. Nobody else in the house seemed to apart from me!!

But so far it has been a good experience, I love the area we live in, the people are friendly and we are enjoying our new lives here in Manitoba.
I may be being blind, but where in Manitoba did you move to?