Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

12 months in Toronto - mixed feelings

12 months in Toronto - mixed feelings

Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Paulious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 12 months in Toronto - mixed feelings

So it's now a whole year in Toronto... with mixed feelings.

The biggest success is being able to explore different places in Canada, the US and the Caribbean. I've met a couple of really cool people and even managed to get a job in my field of study! The great thing about Toronto is the sheer number of things to do, and how generally positive people are about life. Certainly I can see it being a major major city of the world like new york.

Of course, not without some reservations! I haven't made as many friends as I'd like; it's quite a change given I had loads in the UK. Humour makes up most of my friendships, however mine is very gritty, it's been a learning curve holding a conversation without jokes. I do wonder whether I might be more in tune with the Quebecois or other places like Alberta.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Yemmoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 12 months in Toronto - mixed feelings

Excellent!

So you say you've been visiting the Carribean? Where exactly did you go and how long was the flight time?

Shorter flights to the Carribean sounds
like a big bonus to me...
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Hi,

Congratulations on your first year

It can be hard to make friends in a big city and it takes time to get to a level of ease and comfort.

Hope you find some company that appreciates your humour soon.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Congrats on the 12months.
I was in the same place when I was 12months in Canada. I did not make as many friends. But I visited home every year & I slowly realised Canada was a much better place. Stick it out..it gets better.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What about arranging to meet up with people from here? About half the friends I have over here are from expats.com
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

I'm with Geordie Lass! A meet up would be good! I miss people being able to understand my accent!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyxx
I'm with Geordie Lass! A meet up would be good! I miss people being able to understand my accent!
Whereabouts in Canada are you?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:01 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect it's not so much your accent but too much scots vernacular. You probably sound more like a bad Alex Salmond than a Gordon Brown.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Making loads of friends doesn't happen overnight wherever you are, especially in large cities. It takes time. Your network of friends at home didn't happen overnight, remember. Just keep at it and it'll come with time.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

I sound more like a Frankie Boyle than anything else... :O

I am in Guelph!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I've been in Toronto just over 3 years and feel I am making friends - my best buddies are all expats and colleagues.

Keep throwing yourself out there and drop in to the Brit Expat meet-ups to get your dash of humour once a month.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 5:06 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulious

The biggest success is being able to explore different places in Canada, the US and the Caribbean. I've met a couple of really cool people and even managed to get a job in my field of study! The great thing about Toronto is the sheer number of things to do, and how generally positive people are about life. Certainly I can see it being a major major city of the world like new york.

Of course, not without some reservations! I haven't made as many friends as I'd like; it's quite a change given I had loads in the UK. Humour makes up most of my friendships, however mine is very gritty, it's been a learning curve holding a conversation without jokes. I do wonder whether I might be more in tune with the Quebecois or other places like Alberta.
Interesting what you say about humour. I have some Canadian friends here in Australia and to be fair they seem to get most of the jokes - but sometimes you say something and it just a-sailing over their heads. Aussies generally get the gags - but certainly not always.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I sound more like a Frankie Boyle than anything else... :O

I am in Guelph!
Guelph? Where is that?

Might be a bit far for me?

I just looked it up... It's a bit far to go for a meet up for me!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:36 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulious

I am not far behind you in time and I have similar feelings.

When people ask me whether I like Canada, I apologise and say I am not being rude but I have mixed feelings. It is still early days for me and I still miss a lot about England - friends, pastimes, just being unfamiliar with daily life is still unsettling.

I also have to say that we seem to have come up against a few bad sorts here (including our former landlord who is currently making bizarre and untrue allegations of "sabotage" on our rental after saying at the end-of-tenancy walkthrough all was fine and who is now trying to withold our damage deposit!)
That sort of encounter has soured our view of Canada at times but I try to think that it is just because back in the UK our circle of friends and contacts had already weeded out the bad types a long time ago.

I miss knowing who to trust, who to ask about things for an honest reply and good advice or which tradesmen to call.

I miss not knowing things - basic things.

But I am trying to be philosophical about it all.
A year certainly isn't enough to rebuild a whole life, friendships and career, so IMHO, we "newbies" shouldn't feel too bad about admitting to ourselves or anyone who asks that the jury is still out.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt the same be true for Canadians who have moved to the UK.
Imagine a bunch of Pikeys turning up on their doorstep and offering to do their driveway or roof for a reasonable rate
They even have series on HGTV on cowboy type tradespeople in both countries.
BTW if interested I have some property for sale in Florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.