10 Years Today

Old Aug 29th 2018, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice
Smile 10 Years Today

I don't post on here very often anymore, I seem to have become a lurker but just wanted to share - it's 10yrs ago today that we landed at YYC.

What a fantastic experience its been. We really are settled into the Canadian way of life. Not all been plain sailing, but it probably wouldn't have been if we had stayed in England either. Miss old friends and family still but also have a lot of really great people in our lives here. Miss Fish and Chips but love poutine and wings. Everything balances itself out really.

My advice if you're thinking about making the move - Do it - You can always go back if it isn't right for you. Doesn't mean means you failed it means you had the balls to try - left wondering 'what if' has to be the worst feeling.

Happy Canniversary to us
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Warwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 10 Years Today

Originally Posted by KAT16
My advice if you're thinking about making the move - Do it - You can always go back if it isn't right for you. Doesn't mean means you failed it means you had the balls to try
What great advice. Congratulations!
Old Sep 4th 2018, 3:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your 1st decade in Canada! Glad to see you stuck it out despite the ups or downs.. if nothing else it makes life interesting, lol.

Indeed, swings and roundabouts.. we lose but gain - but the journey is enjoyable non the less.

Would love to hear more about how you have found your time in Canada so far - what you would have done different in hindsight - or not, as the case may be.

Don't be a stranger...
Here's to the next 10!
Old Sep 4th 2018, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice

Thanks Siouxie. Ok so if anyone is interested here goes.

We visited Canada 6 times over 2 years before making the move. Most times to Alberta which is where we decided to make our home but also Toronto to visit husbands family. We did some good research. We rented a home through rentfaster for a year because we didn't know where we wanted to live. However, within 6 months we had purchased a brand new house. We got the keys 11 months after we made the move and have been in the same house since. Glad we bought brand new. We were able to make it our own and meant that we didn't have boiler issues or older applicances as perhaps you may find in an older house.
I've had more jobs in my 10yrs here in Canada than I did in my 40 yrs in England, I've been laid off twice but pretty grateful as I have never been out of work for longer than 3weeks. I've left and returned to my current employer 3 times now, very lucky that they took me back. I wish I had used this opportunity, a fresh start, to perhaps change up my career, however, I do like what I do and I guess stick with what I'm good at. OH has been in the same job for all of those 10yrs and is happy.

I play slo-pitch in the summer and am trying to get better at skating. OH threw himself into Canadian life immediately, played shinny hockey, slo pitch and tried coaching a start up womens rugby team.

Wish I'd tried harder to learn to ski and go camping and be more outdoorsy when we first arrived - 10yrs on and I'm scared of breaking a hip now and the thought of sleeping in a tent doesn't thrill me at all. But that being said I've decided this year is the year and I'm determined to do it. We're even talking about buying a trailer next year, so it won't be quite as hard! We live in such a beautiful part of the world and I don't want to look back and wish I'd got off my ass and seen more of it.

Yes we miss family and friends but technology these days means you don't miss out too much and I probably speak with my family more now than I did when living around the corner from them. We've had so many visitors and alot of comments from them about how great our life is here.

Both my OH's parents passed away last year (within 3 months of each other). Not going to lie that was ridiculously hard, the feeling that you have deserted your family isn't the greatest. However, you get through it.

We're both pretty easy going people and came with the mindset that we will fit in with the Canadian way, we never expected them to adapt to us and have been welcomed by some pretty incredible people.

I wish anyone making the move the best of luck and if anyone has any questions about our time here i am more than happy to answer. It's the best, fantastic feeling when you hear the customs officer say 'Welcome to Canada' for the first time.

KAT
Old Sep 15th 2018, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Warwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to behold

Old Sep 20th 2018, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your 10 years - sounds like it has worked out pretty well!