Reload this Page >

Job Search - Foreign Applicants

Job Search - Foreign Applicants

Old Aug 9th 2012, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Laureluk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Search - Foreign Applicants

Hi

I'm looking at avenues to emegrate to Canada and would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer.

I was originally hoping to apply as a Skilled Worker, but my occupation (draftsman / drafting technician / design engineer) was cut from the list following the credit crunch, and the Federal program appears to have been suspended at the moment anyway.

It would appear that the only avenue available to me is to try to obtain work first, and this is where the problem lies (as I'm sure has been expressed by many people before). I have no problem applying from the usual sites (Workopolis, Job Bank etc) but is there a way (short of applying) that I can determine whether the employer would consider applicants from abroad? The last thing I want to do is waste my time, and of course that of the employer / recruiter.

Are there any suggestions that anyone can make that might point a foreign applicant in the right direction?

Thanks very much for reading. Be gentle
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

geo_1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Search - Foreign Applicants

Hi like yourself i also am trying to look at different avenues. Unfortunately i joined the police when i was 16 as a cadet in Scotland so i don't have a trade i can fall back on. It would seem however that the police forces in Canada are also not recruiting from the Uk anymore. I have many skills from my current job but not sure if these would be recognized.

Geo
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin in in the Scottish police force,passed all his tests for the Canadian police force,then at the last minute bottled out of it.
He regrets it now,especially since a couple of years later I started talking about Canada,and have been looking into work.I find out the end of this month if I get the job that I am after.

I have found that most companies simply ignore emails,only two replied to the 40+ that I have sent out,and one of those told me that an LMO was too much paperwork to deal with,even though in their ad they said 'Authorised to hire foreign workers'.
I eventually just chanced it and phoned a company that had twenty five vacancies to fill,to my joy I found out they had just applied for a bulk load of LMO's to fill the vacancies.

I was searching indeed.ca,kijiji,etc..

I've found if you look at vacancies on these sites and look more at employers who are offering several positions or more,these tend to be more likely to be willing to obtain an LMO to fill vacancies.

Phoning certainly gets more response,I phoned one company got a positive response,and am waiting to talk to the top boss now(who happens to be on holiday!).
I have been offered higher than the advertised wage,subsidised flights,hostel accommodation,and a 2year contract,the HR woman called me an 'Ideal Candidate',but again its up the top man at the end of the day.

Good luck and all the best on your hunt!!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:51 am
Just Joined

dencho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Canada

My lease at my medical practice is up and I am looking for a new
home? Can somebody help?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Herbers is an unknown quantity at this point

I work for an Autobody company (panel beating) and we struggle to hire Canadian skilled workers from time to time. I know they have done LMO's in the past.