Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Zoom airlines?

Zoom airlines?

Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Zoom airlines?

A question I'm sure many of us have asked, Zoom airlines? Are they any good? I'm kinda tall 6.1ft so leg room is important to me, are they similar to Air transat? If they are hmmm I don’t think I'll be flying with them!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zoom airlines?

Originally Posted by celine_uk
A question I'm sure many of us have asked, Zoom airlines? Are they any good? I'm kinda tall 6.1ft so leg room is important to me, are they similar to Air transat? If they are hmmm I don’t think I'll be flying with them!
They are similar in that you can upgrade to Club, or whatever, and have lots of leg room while saving against the scheduled fare.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends not on the airline as much as the plane/ configuration you get. Transat uses airbus3xxs now, Zoom has Boeing767s.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 5th 2005 at 6:28 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
I think it depends not on the airline as much as the plane/ configuration you get. Transat uses airbus3xxs, Zoom has Boeing767s.
When we flew Transat it was a 757 and horribly cramped which lead me to swear never to fly them again. We were going to France and that was at the max distance limit for a 757 and coming back we had to stop to refuel because of headwinds. Made a 6 hour flight into a 9 hour flight and total misery.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sysclp
When we flew Transat it was a 757 and horribly cramped which lead me to swear never to fly them again. We were going to France and that was at the max distance limit for a 757 and coming back we had to stop to refuel because of headwinds. Made a 6 hour flight into a 9 hour flight and total misery.
I think the 757s are retired now. Lets face it, Long hail flights with cheap carriers (whether charter or Scheduled carriers) are never going to be much fun for tall people in steerage class. As long as its a newish plane I think they are all much the same as each other, so I go with the cheapest option.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

I think the 757s are retired now. Lets face it, Long hail flights with cheap carriers (whether charter or Scheduled carriers) are never going to be much fun for tall people in steerage class. As long as its a newish plane I think they are all much the same as each other, so I go with the cheapest option.
I am only 5'3" and my husband is 5'6" and we both were miserable. It was only about $100 each cheaper and I now know that price would be well worth the extra room.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:40 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we flew Sept Manc-Vanc. It worked for us regarding times and date of flight versus cost. We had asked around and knew there was a slight service risk involved.

Upgraded to the longer legroom seats. Space was fine and worth the small extra, but seats were cheap leathery stuff and sweaty, tended to fall off front of them. Service and food was fine no probs. Flight staff were fine.

The only hassle we had was a 3.5 hr delay. No compo as this was a charter. Also not covered by our insurance due to less than 8 hour delay. Missed connector flight to Kelowna from Vancouver and had to pay overnight hotel costs. Loads of hassle in Manc from snotty CS bod who had clearly been well trained for her role by watching 'Airline' repeatedly ad naseum. We had 50kg excess baggage and were asked to pay half of that which was OK as we'd budgeted for it.

Basically given the choice of a bagfull of spare cash I'd use Zoom again, no real complaints, ref the delay yeah sh1t happens, it could've been handled better by Zoom but WTH. If the difference in price between Zoom and another airline is minimal go elsewhere but if it's a few hundred quid I'd Zoom it with a slight [known] risk factor.

Rich.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends not on the airline as much as the plane/ configuration you get. Transat uses airbus3xxs now, Zoom has Boeing767s.
Travelled economy GLA - Calgary and it was fine, much better than expected. Flew Transat a few years ago, not as good.

www.airlinequality.com
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by yonk
Travelled economy GLA - Calgary and it was fine, much better than expected. Flew Transat a few years ago, not as good.

www.airlinequality.com
Good link, I was looking for seat spacing info earlier and couldnt find it, but there it is. Zoom 31" in economy, 36" upgrade.

Im 5'11" and just survive in economy, at 6'1" I'd probably pay for the upgrade.

Thos Cook by the way is only 29"!!!

Last edited by iaink; Dec 5th 2005 at 7:08 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Thos Cook by the way is only 29"!!!
35" in standard cabin on most of their Toronto routes though.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yonk

www.airlinequality.com
Though I am really miffed as they are re-routing via Manchester on their Glasgow - Cal/Van flights from next summer rather than direct.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:18 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think the 757s are retired now.
Not quite iain.
Boeing has stopped making them, but they're still about.
continental flies a lot of them to the UK, and BMI flies Washington to Manchester with the 757.

it's like a sardine tin.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
35" in standard cabin on most of their Toronto routes though.
Really! Thats sounds remarkable generous, especially as there prices are usually not too bad.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Really! Thats sounds remarkable generous, especially as there prices are usually not too bad.
It is! You have to check when you book via Canadian Affair that you've chosen a Thomas Cook flight and not a MyTravel one, and that your TC flight has the "extra seat pitch" logo. Same price as their other cheapies, excellent value.

Not only recommended for tall people but also great for avoiding toddlers spending 7hrs kicking the back of the seat in front of them...their legs can't reach far enough
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Manc
Not quite iain.
Boeing has stopped making them, but they're still about.
continental flies a lot of them to the UK, and BMI flies Washington to Manchester with the 757.

it's like a sardine tin.
Transats ditched them though...hopefully not literally, but after running out of fuel and gliding 60 miles to the Azores that time who knows eh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.