British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   -Zellers + (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/zellers-548032/)

McNicoll family Jul 10th 2008 5:50 pm

Re: -Zellers +

On our recce I nipped into the Zellers in West Ed Mall and thought it just like an old fashioned Woolworths.

The guy at the till did not speak at all until someone he clearly knew came over and then he managed a few words, up to that point he was a surly teen!

I was not impressed with it at all and would certainly avoid it like the plague if and when I get to live in Canada. :)

MB-Realtor Jul 10th 2008 6:45 pm

No ones mentioned the delights of Value Village yet. :rofl:

iaink Jul 10th 2008 7:14 pm

Thats because there are none Stewart:)

MB-Realtor Jul 10th 2008 7:40 pm

That indescribable smell when you walk in :eek:

London-England-Lads Jul 10th 2008 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor (Post 6557640)

Are they not an ethical recycling business like oxfam?

Mikey B Jul 11th 2008 12:05 am

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads (Post 6558678)
Are they not an ethical recycling business like oxfam?

Dont tarnish the good name of VV boutique by mentioning Oxfam in the same breath!

Next you will be doing the unthinkable and slagging off GT Boutique ;)

Brownstar Jul 11th 2008 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Mikey B (Post 6558709)
Dont tarnish the good name of VV boutique by mentioning Oxfam in the same breath!

Next you will be doing the unthinkable and slagging off GT Boutique ;)

Ah Value Village...........come buy some dead people`s clothes

AmyDavid Jul 11th 2008 1:20 am

Originally Posted by McNicoll family (Post 6557447)

I was not impressed with it at all and would certainly avoid it like the plague if and when I get to live in Canada. :)

It will tempt you in.....you won't be able to resist....you will become addicted.... :)

Wannabe Jul 11th 2008 1:23 am

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor (Post 6557640)

I :wub: VV. :) You just have to know which one to go to - here in Ottawa there are quite a few, with so-so selection, but last year they opened one in Cornwall, and they have great outdoors stuff (which is what I'm looking for most of the time), and good prices as well.

In my livingroom I have two great armchairs and an old sewing machine table - all from VV - and to the total cost of $25. :)

Biiiiink Jul 11th 2008 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Mikey B (Post 6558709)
GT Boutique

¿Qué?

Butch Cassidy Jul 11th 2008 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Brownstar (Post 6554567)
M&S - not that I've discovered yet, Sears is like Debenhams and The Bay is House of Fraser

IMHO
Sears = C&A with housewares
The Bay = John Lewis (trying to be Frasers but just not making it:sneaky:)

Souvenir Jul 11th 2008 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 6556272)
Future Shop and Best Buy are actually owned by the same parent company..you wont often find them competing against each other.

The two seem almost identical. It Gatineau they are practically next door to each other. The main difference, supposedly, is that staff in Future Shop are on commission and those in Best Buy are not. The latter group are very quick to point this out, just before they launch into a heavy-duty pitch on extended warranties etc.

That being said, I have always found the staff in both to be very helpful, attentive and knowledgeable.

Biiiiink Jul 11th 2008 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 6558941)
IMHO
Sears = C&A with housewares
The Bay = John Lewis (trying to be Frasers but just not making it:sneaky:)

Does that mean you rate Frasers above John Lewis? I would have about 20yrs ago but not now.

I'd say Sears was BHS ;)

Souvenir Jul 11th 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6560348)
Does that mean you rate Frasers above John Lewis? I would have about 20yrs ago but not now.

I'd say Sears was BHS ;)

I was amazed when I went into a BHS a couple of years back, after a gap of several decades. What a difference!!!!!!

iaink Jul 11th 2008 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 6560343)
The two seem almost identical. It Gatineau they are practically next door to each other. The main difference, supposedly, is that staff in Future Shop are on commission and those in Best Buy are not. The latter group are very quick to point this out, just before they launch into a heavy-duty pitch on extended warranties etc.

That being said, I have always found the staff in both to be very helpful, attentive and knowledgeable.

I was told by staff here at future shop that they only get commission on the extended warranty sales, not the goods themselves....