Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

you've inspired me! What songs or bands should they bring to canada!

you've inspired me! What songs or bands should they bring to canada!

Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:17 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: you've inspired me! What songs or bands should they bring to canada!

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you know who Anthony Bourdain is ? I like his attitude to food. I think one should apply it to everything in life.
I do not. I just googled him and got a picture. He looks a lot like Gilles Duceppe, before he had a red-hot poker rammed......
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: you've inspired me! What songs or bands should they bring to canada!

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I do not. I just googled him and got a picture. He looks a lot like Gilles Duceppe, before he had a red-hot poker rammed......
He'a chef, he wrote an entertaining book, well the first half is entertaining, called "Kitchen Confidential". He'll eat anything.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:33 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

He'a chef, he wrote an entertaining book, well the first half is entertaining, called "Kitchen Confidential". He'll eat anything.
He's clearly never been to my MIL's place for dinner. Some of her creations sap your will to live.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:42 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Arcade Fire - Excellent Canadian band thought they have a long way to go before they make up for the dirth that is Dion !!!

Amazon.ca stocks most major UK bands
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:46 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macadian
repetative and mind numbing
But that's the whole point of commercial radio (and television) isn't it? Kill it all!

Back to the question, I had never heard of Robbie Williams, Kyle Minogue, Cliff Richard or Oasis before moving here either. I wasn't missing much!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

Originally Posted by babyblue
We have just spark a convo in one of my threads about songs. So i though to myself!....."self...... what bands or songs would you like to introduce to canada?"

I came up with a few....

It is amazing the amount of brittish music that never made it here.
I remember at christmas dancing around the living room to slade and
'here it is merry christmas' to my horror nobody else knew who it was.

What about
spandau ballet
status quo
UB40
ELO
slade

Not that i am a fan of these bands but there were some good tracks. Don't think i am a mad brit that is stuck in an era. I just had this convo with someone about bands from england.
this could be a fun thread too...

i am sure you guys will soon lower the tone! or is that tune!
Why introduce EuroTat to Canada when you have the Arrogant Worms Probably the best Canadian band *Ever* !
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JezHarper
Why introduce EuroTat to Canada when you have the Arrogant Worms Probably the best Canadian band *Ever* !
Better than Paul Anka ?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:44 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Better than Paul Anka ?
Yeah it's hard to beat Paul Anka. Have you heard his 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4755657

(scroll down a bit)
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

Better than Paul Anka ?
Yes, definately Especially 'Toronto Sucks!' & 'Canada is really big'
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Yeah it's hard to beat Paul Anka. Have you heard his 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4755657

(scroll down a bit)

He's our very own Lawrence Welk.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JezHarper
Yes, definately Especially 'Toronto Sucks!' & 'Canada is really big'
Oh dear, they seem to one of those ethnic comedy acts like McLean and McLean or Bob and Doug Mackenzie. I'd rather not hear them. Thanks.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Lapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by babyblue
We have just spark a convo in one of my threads about songs. So i though to myself!....."self...... what bands or songs would you like to introduce to canada?"

I came up with a few....

It is amazing the amount of brittish music that never made it here.
I remember at christmas dancing around the living room to slade and
'here it is merry christmas' to my horror nobody else knew who it was.

What about
spandau ballet
status quo
UB40
ELO
slade

Not that i am a fan of these bands but there were some good tracks. Don't think i am a mad brit that is stuck in an era. I just had this convo with someone about bands from england.
this could be a fun thread too...

i am sure you guys will soon lower the tone! or is that tune!
Sorry to burst the bubble around Canadians not knowing 'Britpop' but all of these were very popular in the 80's apart from Slade. Are you talking to people of the right age?

I also have to disagree (at this point - when we move over, it may be a different matter!) about Canadian radio. We loved it!! No more crappy top 10 pop over and over - just good solid rock. Then again, I am Canadian so it could possibly be ingrained and I just don't know any better...
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Lapsed Canuck
just good solid rock.
If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now, once an hour followed by fifty three minutes of Nickelback and Kim Mitchell to meet the cancon rules. All of it spoken over by a flabbier version of Rush Limbaugh. It's hard to know what would be worse, life trapped with Q107 or life trapped with the all Celine Dion station.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lapsed Canuck
Then again, I am Canadian so it could possibly be ingrained and I just don't know any better...
probably not...

revert to the lyrics of one of the Stone's many classics...

'You can't always get what you want, you can't always get what you want, but you find sometimes, ya get what you need...'

Oh yea....
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: you've inspired me! What songs or bands should they bring to canada!

No.

They don't play foreign acts to death here as they are required by law to play local acts to death.

Actually, yes is well known in Canada. He is performing at the Air Canada Centre, in Toronto on May 25th and then in Ottawa the following night.

I know this because I drive his Tour Bus when he is touring through North America.

Jim (Ex-Liverpool).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.