Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on a big FAT 4x4...

Your thoughts on a big FAT 4x4...

Old Feb 14th 2006, 4:55 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your thoughts on a big FAT 4x4...

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
We have moose/vehicle interface issues here in NL as well......

IainK, Its not so much the moose avoidance, which granted is likely to be easier in a car. (Although a liberty will handle better than your cherokee). Rather its if you do hit one in a car, you take its legs out (moose being long legged) and its body crashes down on top of the passenger compartment breaking your neck. The theory in a 4x4 is that being higher up the moose impacts with the hood/front of the car giving you a better chance of surviving. Either way the moose is generally screwed.

This may be complete bunkum but its what folks here tell me.

AX
I can see where you are coming from with the moose thing, and i agree.
fwiw i had to go somewhere yesterday that no low down car such as a subaru would have a snowflakes chance in hell of making, my AWD Equinox made it look easy(ish) i was up to my door sills in snow, that would be halfway up the doors on a subaru.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:26 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I can see where you are coming from with the moose thing, and i agree.
fwiw i had to go somewhere yesterday that no low down car such as a subaru would have a snowflakes chance in hell of making, my AWD Equinox made it look easy(ish) i was up to my door sills in snow, that would be halfway up the doors on a subaru.
Not wanting the facts to interfere but...
Ground clearance on an equinox is 8.0"
Ground Clearance on an Outback is 8.4" and a Forester 8.1"

On a reality check basis, the tires are probably the limiting factor in bad condition driving anyway. look at the cops, they get around in atrocious conditions in big torquey RWD Crown Victorias!

Last edited by iaink; Feb 14th 2006 at 5:29 am.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:57 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tires

Yes, agree about tires. Our Dodge SX FWD car on snow tires is actually better on slick ice/compacted snow surfaces than the jeep on all terrain tires. Mind you the jeep makes for much more waheeyy rwd and 4wd powerslides and came in useful for driftbusting after our 40cm last Friday. (forecast 4cm we got 40 cm).
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Vehicle choice should be driven by where you live, how much you are driving, etc etc. Of course thats all nonsense it comes down to emotion most of the time.

I bought a Jeep Liberty 3.7V6 super dooper renegade offroad version with carlos fandango wide wheel arches, rock rails, underbody protection and a trillion watts of roof mounted offroad lights. Do I need all that? Well, the underbody protection came in useful when I parked it in a ditch last winter, the 4x4 comes in useful during snow/ice and driving the dirt roads and surprisingly the trillion watts of lighting also gets used when driving out in the boonies at night. OK, a Toyota yaris would probably do most of what I need but where's the fun in that?!

I do regret not buying the monster truck I really wanted though. I suspect by the time I'm changing the jeep the continued increase in gas prices will make it even more impractical. My wife wore the sensible hat and steered me towards the jeep (Bro in law is a Jeep salesman so we got a deal), although I got my way with the renegade.

For serious consideration for the OP. Kia Sorrento gets rave reviews and is supposed to be reliable. 3.5V6 petrol is relatively economic compared to V8's. The Liberty is not a bad little rig although I find it very thirstry (16l per 100km). If I were to get another one I would get a diesel as the lib' is about the only small 4x4 available with diesel. (2.8 CRD).

For economic and reliable SUV's then you have to look at the 'soft roader' varierty. Rav 4, Nissan Xtrail, Honda CRV etc. Of those I'd go for the Xtrail. Bigger 4x4's, I have a soft spot for the Durango but monstrously expensive to run I'd think. Also drove a Chevy Trailblazer for a couple of weeks last summer and was reasonably impressed. None of these possess any kind of handling characterstics. If you want handling then Subaru Forester or Outback are the way to go.

My several cents....

AX
We had brand new Jeep Liberty 2.5L and it was absolutely powerless.
Before that we had Jeep Laredo and it was a pleasure to drive. The seats were a bit too soft for us but otherwise it was perfect. I would definately buy it again.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
We had brand new Jeep Liberty 2.5L and it was absolutely powerless.
Before that we had Jeep Laredo and it was a pleasure to drive. The seats were a bit too soft for us but otherwise it was perfect. I would definately buy it again.
Dont think the 2.5 is an option here, its either the 3.7 gas or the 2.8 turbo diesel.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:29 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
How is that different in a Jeep? I appreciate that a liberty probably handles better than my Cherokee did, but I wouldnt fancy doing a moose dodge manouver at speed in something that top heavy :scared:
my experiance of drivers "up north" is they don't dodge the moose...

They hit it and put on the roof to cut up later...
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:53 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Dont think the 2.5 is an option here, its either the 3.7 gas or the 2.8 turbo diesel.

Liberty's come in 2.4 4cyl and 3.7 6cyl gas plus 2.8 diesel. The 2.4 couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding and is to be avoided. The 3.7 is quite nippy but thirsty, the diesel is also reasonably torquy but with better consumption. I dont know about the rest of Canada but not all gas stations sell diesel here in NL so that might be a consideration.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

little-beauty is on a distinguished road

Guys - this is just the sort of information I was after. Very useful indeed....

I was hoping to avoid the whole time-honoured "what d'ya want one of those for then?" thing. To clarify...I wasn't debating about the virtues of procuring a big FAT 4x4 but specifically which one to get, based on your experience in the field, as it were I immensely enjoy driving this type of vehicle and have no issue paying the associated premiums at all.

The only reason I cited the location, was not because of the weather but because of the dealer network availability. The specific location is Barrie - so the 'Southern North' as it were.

I'll do some good hard surfing, to further research what's been said.

Thanks.

Little-B.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:00 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by little-beauty
To clarify...I wasn't debating about the virtues of procuring a big FAT 4x4 but specifically which one to get, based on your experience in the field, as it were I immensely enjoy driving this type of vehicle and have no issue paying the associated premiums at all.
Oh well with that positive attitude then, my recommendation is a Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat 5.4l triton V8. Supremely comfortable and with enough room for your skidoo or ATV in the back and your boat/horsebox hitched up behind!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:01 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys - this is just the sort of information I was after. Very useful indeed....
So you've decided on a Capri then!

Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

An excellent source of information regarding - prices, engine size etc. is -

www.autotrader.ca

You will see that the 2.0L & 2.4L are 4pots.

6 & 8 pots are 3.0L upwards.

Japanese badges are more expensive, although most are assembled in the North American continent now.

As most vehicles are Automatic, it`s the transmissions that fail, more then the engine.

Having been here for two winters, i would suggest the following -

Buy from a franchised dealer a 3-6 yr old vehicle - avoid depreciation pain!

Higher mileages (unlike the UK) are fine, as long as supported by a service record, as most vehicle travel is on open roads at a constant "cruise control" speed ( not up and down the manual gear box - like the UK).

Of course Far East and German badges carry some "weight".

Concentrate more on these -

Keep engine size below 4.0L

Disc Brakes all round.

Engine Block Heater.

4 or 5 Star Safety Rating (Air Bags etc).

I would suggest a 6 pot, so you can enjoy quiet highway motoring.
As long as you do not use "aggressive" kick-down, it is no more expensive then a 4 pot.

If you choose a 4x4, get one with very high ground clearance - simply because when on some winter mornings - the snow is very deep - you don`t have to worry!

I would just as happily run a 5 yr old Chevy Blazer, at half the purchase cost of an equal Toyota or Nissan.

Remember - all modern cars are controlled by computer chip/s. If it was going to play up, it would do so from day one. If you buy a car that`s 5 yrs old, after a satisfactory road test.
There no more or less risk in either - Toyota or Chevrolet !!!!!!!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:35 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I wasn't debating about the virtues of procuring a big FAT 4x4 but specifically which one to get
**** it, get a Hummer then. Its only money

Last edited by iaink; Feb 14th 2006 at 8:57 am.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:08 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Not wanting the facts to interfere but...
Ground clearance on an equinox is 8.0"
Ground Clearance on an Outback is 8.4" and a Forester 8.1"

On a reality check basis, the tires are probably the limiting factor in bad condition driving anyway. look at the cops, they get around in atrocious conditions in big torquey RWD Crown Victorias!
Also not wanting facts to get in the way, i specificaly said a "low down car"
The cops don't have to go where i did, no Crown Victoria would have gone where i went yesterday.