Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your point of view please!

Your point of view please!

Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

lucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant future
Smile Your point of view please!

Today received the paperwork we have been waiting for in order to submit our appplication - deep joy!!!
Just as a matter of curiosity could you tell me the best and the worst about relocating to Canada - It won't change our minds but I read this Forum regularly and absorb the info given on it.

ps. It only took 5 days for police check from Germany and the translation from the Germans Embassy another 2 days - efficiency is lush!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your point of view please!

Originally Posted by lucyspoon
Today received the paperwork we have been waiting for in order to submit our appplication - deep joy!!!
Just as a matter of curiosity could you tell me the best and the worst about relocating to Canada - It won't change our minds but I read this Forum regularly and absorb the info given on it.

ps. It only took 5 days for police check from Germany and the translation from the Germans Embassy another 2 days - efficiency is lush!!!!!!!!
The best part is being in Canada. The worst part seems waiting to get here.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 12:38 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
The best part is being in Canada. The worst part seems waiting to get here.
The best part is having a new outlook on life. New things to see and do and its all still new and exciting to us. And to have more time together as our little family unit is wonderful.

The worst is the feeling of being an 'outsider'. Just not knowing fully, the ins and outs of how things are over here and the time it is taking for it to become familiar and for it to become 'HOME'............But it will come, I'm sure, and we are already feeling more settled with every month that passes.

There are pro's and con's, but at the moment .................the Pro's of living here FAR outway the con's, and we are living the type of lifestyle we wanted.
We are looking forward with excitement about all the things we have yet to see and do, as we have only just scratched the surface. January always does this to me...........................makes me plan ahead and hope the year will bring all that we dream it will.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Just as a matter of curiosity could you tell me the best and the worst about relocating to Canada
Best thing - the chance to evaluate your way of life and make changes to it! Also, our money goes further (the job I do is higher paid in Canada than in the UK, and most things are cheaper or the same).

Funniest thing has been watching the children learn to ice skate! 2 year old hates it, she just cries! 4 year old slips and slides and constantly asks for a hand to hold. 6 year old is getting good - he can move around the ice clumsily and with a few bumps on the way, but has no hesitation at giving it a go. Not bad as today was just the 2nd time they have ever skated!

Worst thing - getting used to the food. A lot of home-cooked food tastes bland. Haven't managed to find Bisto gravy granuals like in the UK. You've got to make it in a pan, bring to the boil & simmer. The juice is also weird. Expect to get a plastic container full of concentrated frozen juice that you keep in the freezer. Bizarre. Haven't found any nice UK style dilutable juice

Rob
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Best thing ... so much more time spent as a family ... and the weather ... so much sunshine.

Worst thing ... missing family and friends.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

westchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
I am new to this site and have been reading all the forums for the last couple of weeks with great interest We have lived here (in Alberta, just outside of Sherwood Park) for the last almost 16 years!!! Those 16 years have been the hardest 16 years ever because I suffered from terrible homesickness and what made it worse was that hubbie got a job that involved traveling to Europe on a regular basis! We nearly gave up and went back home to Sussex many times, but we just kept telling ourselves that we had to give it a good try!!!!! It is only the last 2 years that I can honestly say that I am not homesick anymore, but I do still miss certain things from back home, our families that are still there, history and beautiful lush green countryside,pubs, and the huge variety of food available (here it is very limited, but it is starting to get better but it is very very slow)

BUT!!! I do honestly think that we are better off here than we would be in England, crime is no where near as bad here as it is in the UK. The countryside once you get used to the open space is very beautiful in it's own special way.Less traffic! Our daughter who are now grown up have a better chance of owning their own homes here than if they were in England.

It has also helped having food parcels sent occasionally from the UK with all those lovely things that we miss and things like casserole mixes, curry mixes etc. Also keeping in touch with family using a web cam really helps, which is something we have been doing for the past year or so.

We are still finding new things to do and see here even after 16 years, each year here is another adventure.

If you dont give Canada a go you will never know

I wish all you Newcomers well and good luck in your new adventures, it does get easier with time
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:20 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Westchilt ...... I presume you hail from West Chiltington! Many's the time I got lost there looking for some patient's house when there is no rhyme or reason to the place at all ..... no house numbers, and the names are mostly overgrown with bushes and stuff.....

...and finally, why do all roads lead to Smock Alley?????

Pretty place though .... I loved the stocks outside the church, and the inside was wonderful too! I think West Chilt epitomises what I will miss about West Sussex in general.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:34 pm
Lost again

john fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rabrol
Haven't found any nice UK style dilutable juice

Rob
If you find some dilutable juice please post, so we know where to go to get it.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:40 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john fisher
If you find some dilutable juice please post, so we know where to go to get it.
You can get Roses lime juice, and Ribena, as discussed on another thread.....

but we're quite happy with frozen and powdered concentrates .... I just make up a big jugful and keep it in the fridge.

It's part of what's different in Canada .... why try and make it the same?
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

westchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Thanks Westchilt ...... I presume you hail from West Chiltington! Many's the time I got lost there looking for some patient's house when there is no rhyme or reason to the place at all ..... no house numbers, and the names are mostly overgrown with bushes and stuff.....

...and finally, why do all roads lead to Smock Alley?????

Pretty place though .... I loved the stocks outside the church, and the inside was wonderful too! I think West Chilt epitomises what I will miss about West Sussex in general.
Hi Morwenna,
Yes indeed I do hail from West Chiltington and funnily enough Smock Alley!!!!
I grew up there lived there until I got married then moved down to East Preston..... it is a small world!!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:57 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by westchilt
Hi Morwenna,
I grew up there lived there until I got married then moved down to East Preston..... it is a small world!!!!!
Hi Westchilt, welcome to our jolly little forum
We are in Sherwood Park and love it here. Its a great family community isn't it. We are a lot newer to it than you though. Only been in the Country since May 05 and Sherwood Park since the end of August, so still in the early stages of adjustment. Just checked out Cooking Lake Blackfoot Recreational area today as it has been such a 'warm' day. Beautiful trails there, love to see it in the spring and summer.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:53 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Rob,

Time to Canadianize - fresh fruit and a good juicer, works every time
Great start to the day.....and good in summer with a variety of strong liquor, good music and friends !

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Jan 23rd 2006 at 1:47 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Are you also applying from Germany...If so You could be here in under a year...If not you'll have 3 + years to wait.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:39 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by westchilt
Hi Morwenna,
Well I'm glad you've found the forum now! It must have been so much harder in so many ways 16 years ago. At least we have the computer age .... we can research, we can talk to people and share experiences, and we can easily keep in contact with the folks back home. Even air travel is cheaper and more available now than it probably was then.... or does that make it HARDER to settle I wonder? ... the thought that you can always go back "home"!

You were almost a pioneer!!! I salute you!!!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by R2D2
Hi Westchilt, welcome to our jolly little forum
We are in Sherwood Park and love it here. Its a great family community isn't it. We are a lot newer to it than you though. Only been in the Country since May 05 and Sherwood Park since the end of August, so still in the early stages of adjustment. Just checked out Cooking Lake Blackfoot Recreational area today as it has been such a 'warm' day. Beautiful trails there, love to see it in the spring and summer.
Hi R2D2,
Thanks for the welcome, this forum is great, wish we had had something like this when we arrived here, I think it would have may it alot easier being able to chat with people in the same situation.
We just moved onto an acreage Aug, 05 just 30 mins south of Sherwood Park, we used to live in Leduc. We have always like Sherwood Park and have been shopping there lots since we moved here, it is a great place and very friendly.
Yes we have lots of beautiful parks and trails in and around Edmonton, some of them we have just visited for the first time recently since we came here!!
My husband and daughters joined the Edmonton Orienteering Club last summer (I am joining this year) and it is a great way to see all the parks in Edmonton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.