Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your opinions please, regarding house sale

Your opinions please, regarding house sale

Old May 2nd 2008, 3:02 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your opinions please, regarding house sale

Hello all

Sorry this may seem such a stupid thread I don't know but I worry so much about things and I would like some opinions on this matter.

Young lads and their footballs! :curse: We are trying desperatly to sell this bloody house. There is a young lad on our estate and plays with his football on the garage door the noise is bloody annoying :curse: I am worried that if I show a buyer round and they hear this it will put them off, or passer by just eyeing the property up.

Just recently the little angel with the stupid ball kept letting the ball roll into MY garden and into my flower bed. I have bedding plants out and it winds me up, the cul de sac is on a slope and they are next door but one to me so hearing the banging for half an hour and seeing the ball roll into my plants was getting to me. I opened the window and said nicely that I didn't appriciate him letting the ball go into my garden. He said sorry i will try not to do it again! Ha as if!

Well a couple of hours later the mother came to my door she said that she was sorry that the ball was going into my garden and that she appricates the fact that I am trying to sell my house but little 'jimmy' is not aloud to go onto the green that is only 1 min away because the big boys use naughty words.

I said well I just don't want my plants being damaged or her child going onto my garden. and left it as that, she has said hi to me since so no fall out.

What I am asking is if you are a viewer to a property would this put you off.

There is also an older group of lads that play football against another neighbours wall not even there own! Pannels have been broken because the ball is kicked at great force and if the ball goes in they just help themselves and climb over his wall.

The level of disrespect for people's property nowadays is so bad it annoys me!

No I don't live on a council estate by the way we live in a very sort after part of town.

Please give your opinions as this does concern me and no nasty comments please I am stressed enough over this house sale.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:10 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your opinions please, regarding house sale

Yes, it would put me off. Can't you bribe one of the "bigger boys" to put the frighteners on the little shit so that he stops being such a pain.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:26 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

They could say a few naughty words that he may hear on the green.

I think he will be hearing naughty words off me if I can't sell this house I have already had to reduce the bloody thing because of the so called credit crunch.

I was thinking of letting my dog run around their garden and throw a tennis ball about and let him bark and see if they like it.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

We had similar problems with the next door neighbours. We lived in a cul de sac and they played in the road directly in front of our house using my front wall as goal posts I had a well planted front garden and they drove me mad! The neighbour on their other side just gave up with plants in their front garden. The big problem we had was that it was the father who was the worst offender - he just wanted to annoy everyone!

We tried to arrange viewings during school hours! It did sell
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:54 pm

Thanks for your comments so far.

I thought I was the one going mad complaining about such a silly thing because you sometimes get the excuse they are just kids and its better for them to play outside rather than indoors on computers. There is also the old chestnut of do you have kids yourself but she knows I don't.

I am not disputing that the kids have to play but I think there needs to be a balance. When the kid was playing before because of 'teacher training day' one of my other neighbours moved his car out of the way because he must have been bothered about it getting damaged (he also checked the side of it).

At the end of the day there are cars parked on the estate and windows could also get damaged I am just wanting my garden to look nice and not have to hear the sound of a ball hitting a garage door.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't complain to the parents about it any more. When I have sold property in the UK I was always asked a question by the solicitors about disputes and arguments with neighbours. So smile away and put up with it.
If it happens while someone is showing then say something about its a phase he will grow out of it. He said he will try not to let it happen again, his mum has been round to talk to you about it. Thats nice, she didnt have to do that.

BTW if our street in Ontario is typical then you will be annoyed constantly here. The kids all play along the street, go across which ever lawn is handy. Hockey out in the road, lacrosse, bikes, football, scooters, mini ATV with trailer full of kids up and down the path, basketball, dogs walk by and pee on the tree in our yard. The postman walks right across the lawn.

Its no big deal, in fact I rather like it. I have to say in the UK it would have bothered me, so maybe you will be fine.

Its the stress of houseselling. Dont worry about it. Kids will be kids.
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:08 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

I too find that the kids here play out all over the place (not in the winter...) and it doesn't bother me like it did in the UK. I've never analyzed why, perhaps I'm just more relaxed since living here but it's a big change from when I was in the UK where the kids used to drive me nuts

I think as a UK buyer it would have been a put off for me although my OH (the voice of reason) always pointed out that it was an area for families - that was inevitably why we were moving there - and therefore I shouldn't be surprised that there are kids out playing

Conversley it disappointed me that in the UK the land available for kids to play without getting into trouble seemed to be being squeezed all the time. Where we live here there are a signfifcant number of parks, play areas and even they can use the school play areas at the weekend, in the evenings and during summer vacation.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Some of our neighbouring kids do play football across several front lawns now and again, but it's never really been a problem; so long as they don't hit the windows or damage the tress I don't mind.

I'd guess that once the park is finished (currently it's a few paths with dirt between them) they may have a better place to do it .
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all
Smile Re: Your opinions please, regarding house sale

Well, there is always the possibility that a potential buyer might have children and not have the same reaction that you have to the situation . . . might even be pleased to have children of similar ages living next door!

I do sympathise. Occasionally my next door neighbour's son plays footie on the tiniest front lawn with his mate ... (and yes there is a lovely piece of common land 10 seconds away with no bigger kids saying naughty words).

One Saturday, he put his 'goalposts' adjacent to my property so that when the ball wasn't saved, it flew over onto my garden and hit my car and so the ball had to be retrieved. This happened a few times and I was getting cross.

I went out and asked them very nicely to move the goal posts so that they were facing outwards and this did the trick - they complied - I wasn't actually asking them to stop completely.

I have my first viewer on Sunday so hope that the little darling isn't out there with his ball!
Old May 4th 2008, 3:25 pm

I don't want to come across as a cranky old woman, daft batty because I am not. I am only 27 but I like to look after my house and garden keeping it looking nice for the house sale.

I have said once that I understand that the kids have to play somewhere but why in peoples gardens.

I can see that this subject may cause a big debate and I was a little concerned about posting the thread in the first place. I wanted to know other peoples opinions and most of you agree with me and thank you for your comments.

I am not a total child hating person and I do enjoy watching children having fun but they also need to realise that other people's property needs to be respected as well.

I am also aware of the fact the hockey is played in the street etc etc but because the houses in Canada are larger and more spaced out and further away from the pavements I am sure it is much better than in England.

English homes are more or less built on top of each other with no personal space from your neighbours, we have neighbours all round our house and saying this I have lived in this house for over six years now with no complaints until recently.

Last edited by Cassie 10000; May 4th 2008 at 3:30 pm. Reason: spelling
Old May 4th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough

I can fully understand your worries. We came back from a 2 month reccie needing to sell our house as we have a June 27th completion date on our new Canadian property. We have had to drop our price by 12.5% in order to get an offer (which we have accepted).

You must be desperate to sell - I know we were - and the stress of knowing that you just want to be in Canada, and living with the harsh fact that you're living in the UK (where you have already decided you do not want to be), is horrible.

So you don't need the little scrote to be ruining your chances of selling. I understand that - we have a kid 2 doors away who likes to throw the little plastic balls from a ball pit into our garden. As this does not cause any damage we just put the balls in the rabbit's run for it to play with. Yesterday, however, the little b****d was using a tennis racket to hit stones into our garden, hitting our windows in the process. I ended up going to see his parents (Nigerian) and complaining to them. Of course, they were very apologetic, but I'm sure it will happen again.

I agree with the other person who replied to you - schedule all viewing appointments to either schooltime or after dark if you are worried it will be a problem (it would certainly put me off).

I do wish you good luck but be prepared to drop your price, especially the way the market is at the moment. - we are gonna be $50k worse off than we thought, but at least we'll get to follow our dream. It just means that you don't get all the toys straight away. I have had to concede that my John Deere sit-on lawn mower is just not gonna happen straight away, or the pool table and boat!

Anyway, once again, all the best of luck in selling your house.

Steve
Old May 5th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

fedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nice

Hi there,

People buy houses next to train lines, airports, shops, pubs, motorways because everyone is different and looking for something that suits them. Don't fret over this and end up falling out with your neighbour because that will be worse for you. Legally in your pre-contract enquiries you have to answer whether you have ever had any problems/confrontations/disagreements with neighbours. That would look far worse and put off any potential buyer. Personally, it would bother me seeing little johnny kicking his balls around ("because he can!") however, for my football mad son this would be a blessing. If however, the agents when asking for feedback from viewers mentions this kid's behaviour then go and have a quiet word with mother but don't force it. Good luck with your sale and move - its never an easy time.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:36 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Good luck with the house sale, i think when you need to sell its hard

We thought it was the house, the neighbours, the area etc etc
but when looking at the bigger picture it is just the way the uk is on the house selling front

We have re-looked at everything and now even the estate agent has said that our house is well cheap, but we have the interest now and that is all that counts.
When your heart has gone out of the uk its hard, try and take your mind off it and get away from the house when you can.
Karma sent, we are the same and now a few more greys have shown :curse:

But just remember why you are doing it.keep that picture in your head

Gill