Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

your opinions please.

your opinions please.

Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: your opinions please.

Originally Posted by Rich_007
When you're up to the top of your "I'm a Fisherman" ball cap in snow I'm lounging around in t-shirt and shorts.

And you say your lifestyle is more "Canadian" than mine?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:03 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And you say your lifestyle is more "Canadian" than mine?
Not really, I implied that for a family to live mortgage free on $20k a year income was unrealistic and gave a rose tinted (actually, read ridonkuluz) view of average family life in Canada. Rising indebtedness, employment insecurity, lack of welfare support, etc. Yeah, its a bed of roses for Joe Schmoe Canuck isn't it.

I suppose it's people like you who give the impression of a Canadian wonderland and leave people befuddled when they end up disappointed, skint, unemployed or hopelessly adrift.

But let's not be realistic, eh. That'd ruin the glossy relocation brochures wouldn't it.

R.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, I implied that for a family to live mortgage free on $20k a year
Ludicrous. While at high school and university my kids each made more than that. It got them through school; because I paid for their tuition and books.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

You'r full of sht on this one Mr. Bond.

Are you suggesting he shouldn't be the person he is?

A family can have a house and car on 60K in calgary. In fact the average familiy income in Alberta is 66K.

I bet that debt free and car free I could live on 20k in NB.

It's not the living on 20K that's unrealisitc. It's that most people will not do what it takes to become debt free, or are wiling to handle the debt in order to support their lifestyle. That makes their living of this lifestyle unrealistic.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
You'r full of sht on this one Mr. Bond.

Are you suggesting he shouldn't be the person he is?

A family can have a house and car on 60K in calgary. In fact the average familiy income in Alberta is 66K.

I bet that debt free and car free I could live on 20k in NB.

It's not the living on 20K that's unrealisitc. It's that most people will not do what it takes to become debt free, or are wiling to handle the debt in order to support their lifestyle. That makes their living of this lifestyle unrealistic.
Oh, I believe that the poster does it. But I don't think it works for the long term or for most people. Consider that, one kid in university already costs $10-$15,000 just in tuition.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Everyone has different aspirations, expectations. But different lifestyles are possible here. I just didn't think it fair to castigate one person in particular when that lifetyle isn't appropriate or available for everyone in general.

Most people need to work to support their lifestyle. In order to work most need to live in a suburb and commute by car. Both of these detract from lifetyle.

Most people are nearly broke at the end of each month.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6 limes
Hi all. I have asked many questions and read and read and read everything I can find on the subject but I remain a bit unsure.
Now heres the thing;
Lots of people praise Canada highly, while pointiing out the realities, eg. cold,expensive etc. Many of these people have expressed that despite the drawbacks experienced living in Canada it has been worth it for many reasons, eg. quality of life etc.

On the other hand there are many criticisms of Canada, eg. behind the times, very cold winters, high cost of living etc.

Now my problem is arising because I like to have all possible information before making any decision ,but with such contrasts in opinions I am at a bit of a loss.
So once again Im calling on you experienced folks to point out which issues I should be concerned about and which I should discount.

I am aware that everyone views things differently, one mans meat is another mans poison, and all that, but we are a fairly down to earth family looking for a better life that we have in Northern Ireland but want to go in with our eyes wide open.

Sorry for rambling, hope Im not too confusing. Thank you.

Hi - Have you read all the Wiki articles on different areas?

Do you have an area / province you've decided on?

It's a bit like saying you want to move to Oz, and asking what it's typically like, and getting a reply from one person in Perth and another in Sydney. Both are in Oz, and both are totally different.

What floats your boat, will sink someone elses. It's hard I know as we all have information you can draw from, but at the end of the day, it's not our lives you are living.

You need to narrow down where you can get a job, and then work out where you can get to, and research those areas. Without a job, you can't really get in to Canada, so I'd take that route rather than pinning the tail on the donkey so to speak.

Good Luck and when you know a bit more of where you are headed to, I'm more than happy to give you info on where I am, if that is where you decide.

Beautiful BC and Amazing Vancouver!!!!!

Bx
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it's people like you who give the impression of a Canadian wonderland and leave people befuddled when they end up disappointed, skint, unemployed or hopelessly adrift.
And all because I said we live comfortably on $20k.

How terrible of me.

I don't know why you are so filled with animosity. "People like you"....I suppose on another day you'll be complaining about people who stereotype others. Come to think of it you already did with your Fisherman cap jibe. My, how clever of you.

I was a low paid civil servant. My reduced pension for retiring early is £4k. I came out of my UK house sale with £123k and moved to Canada 3 years before I could even begin to draw my pension.

We have a nice home and a rental. We can manage on our income and can downsize or sell the rental should a large sum of capital be needed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - ridicule me all you like - if I can achieve our comfortable standard of living with such 'limited' resources then many here can do far more with greater resources. Some do, of course. Without belittling and disputing others.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean others can't.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:39 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ludicrous. While at high school and university my kids each made more than that. It got them through school; because I paid for their tuition and books.
I forgot going to university was compulsory.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:50 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, I believe that the poster does it. But I don't think it works for the long term or for most people.
I merely claim it's possible and that it's not a 'given' that one has to have $60+k.

Also remember it is not long term. School is not forever. When the kids have their own jobs, our income will go further than it does now.

I have also pointed out that some can buy a rental to provide an income and because of that income they may not need to 'chase' the high salaried stressful employment. It allows for more options, perhaps even working p/t and giving more time to enjoy life a bit more.

Or even use the rental income for supporting a uni education.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Imao .. the difference of opinions, well you've got to laugh.

We are moving to Canada mostly for the childrens education also space.

We have some savings and hubby is working in Ottawa, i on the other hand dont have a job lined up. I will work when i get there hopefully in a bank but if not i'll work in Zellers if needs be (a wage is a wage afterall to begin with).

We dont have a car as neither of us drive but that will change in the future.

I think im just going into this with the view of "hope for the best but be prepared for the worst" .. what can go wrong?? We have to come back to the UK .. No regrets, at least i did it.

It is good that im not materialistic, i dont need a big house, fancy goods etc .. i've got my family, my health and a bit of cash (if society breaksdown tomorrow, i know i will survive).. Im happy.

I think that is a healthy outlook ..

Please fell free to rip my comments to pieces .. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH YOUR TIME ..