Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

your opinions please.

your opinions please.

Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: your opinions please.

Well caught dbd33.

When my brother moved to Ontario his wife insisted on the full Canadian experience. He sold his house in Dukinsfield and bought a house on a couple of acres outside Kingston. It's squared off logs, has a fireplace. He cuts down a tree and chops it up for fuel every winter etc etc. He taught his kids to skate on a rink he flooded every winter. Is that the real experience, or a caricature?

I would respectfully suggest that TO, Missisauga, Brampton etc are just huge, soulless suburbs and offer no advantage over the UK except, maybe for the size of the house.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:22 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Is that the real experience, or a caricature?
One needs to know if he still drinks PG Tips tea and watches Premiership "football" before deciding.

R.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:22 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
For that you have to move to a small town. Perhaps a small town in the UK would offer the same.
I already live in a small town...and you DON'T get that..I live in a close of just ten houses, I've been here for 9 years and I hardly know any of them by name and thats not for the lack of trying...most peeps just like to keep to them selves around here...Now thats sad
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:26 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swoops
I already live in a small town...and you DON'T get that..I live in a close of just ten houses, I've been here for 9 years and I hardly know any of them by name and thats not for the lack of trying...most peeps just like to keep to them selves around here...Now thats sad
Small town Canada has lots of that homely, friendly feel.

It just depends if you want everyone to know your business and know who has the basement grow op, who sells the best weed, who's connected to the Hells Angels, who has a nasty coke habit, who's screwing who, etc.

"The only good neighbour is a dead neighbour".

R.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

It just depends if you want everyone to know your business and know who has the basement grow op, who sells the best weed, who's connected to the Hells Angels, who has a nasty coke habit, who's screwing who, etc.

R.

It's not all like that - he's kidding folks. In Quebec it's the Banditos!

Re: my bro and the caricature Canuck: he drinks Tetleys and watches Man City live
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:31 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

R.
You've been watching to much of desperate housewife's....
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well caught dbd33.

When my brother moved to Ontario his wife insisted on the full Canadian experience. He sold his house in Dukinsfield and bought a house on a couple of acres outside Kingston. It's squared off logs, has a fireplace. He cuts down a tree and chops it up for fuel every winter etc etc. He taught his kids to skate on a rink he flooded every winter. Is that the real experience, or a caricature?

I would respectfully suggest that TO, Missisauga, Brampton etc are just huge, soulless suburbs and offer no advantage over the UK except, maybe for the size of the house.
Toronto's not a suburb and I suggest it's not soulless at all, Little India, Greektown, Little Italy, the many Chinatowns are all very much alive, they're not of Canada, just in Canada, but they don't lack soul. Mississauga, Brampton, all the sprawl outside the 427/DVP/Bloor St box, sure, it's just Plano but colder.

Chopping down trees for fuel is neither caricature nor a real experience, it's just routine for us donkey keepers.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:41 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Petrol is cheaper
food is cheaper
cars are cheaper
houses are cheaper (comparing apples to apples)

I don't see the cost of living being higher.
And to balance those comments...

Many vehicles are less fuel efficient, so the pump price becomes irrelevant. Distances to places are further, so you can end up spending proportionally much more in gas.

Food - I think it's comparable overall, not cheaper.

Cars are cheaper, though salaries are often lower, so maybe no saving there.

Houses - very dependent on your location. They're certainly not out west.

Broadly speaking, I believe the cost of living is similar. Factor in some luxuries and some internal flights, and it's dearer here.

Last edited by R I C H; Nov 20th 2008 at 9:44 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:48 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6 limes
Hi all. I have asked many questions and read and read and read everything I can find on the subject but I remain a bit unsure.
Now heres the thing;
Lots of people praise Canada highly, while pointiing out the realities, eg. cold,expensive etc. Many of these people have expressed that despite the drawbacks experienced living in Canada it has been worth it for many reasons, eg. quality of life etc.

On the other hand there are many criticisms of Canada, eg. behind the times, very cold winters, high cost of living etc.

Now my problem is arising because I like to have all possible information before making any decision ,but with such contrasts in opinions I am at a bit of a loss.
So once again Im calling on you experienced folks to point out which issues I should be concerned about and which I should discount.

I am aware that everyone views things differently, one mans meat is another mans poison, and all that, but we are a fairly down to earth family looking for a better life that we have in Northern Ireland but want to go in with our eyes wide open.

Sorry for rambling, hope Im not too confusing. Thank you.
Have you been here to check it out? Got a particular area in mind? The thing is, asking for opinions on here is only going to confuse you more. Canada is huge, very diverse; you will get disgruntled expats who hate it, others who will sing the praises to convince themselves they've done the right thing. The ones in between may live in vastly different climes. So, what one says to discount it may be very important for you to consider, if you get my drift. But, good luck with it, anyway.

Oh, and I live in the best place in the world, beautiful BC, and I love Vancouver!!!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Again I agree with dbd33!!!

Let me finesse my statement about TO. The burbs are soulless. The city of TO proper does have real neighbourhoods, often ethnically based which gives a true cosmopolitan feel to the city.

But this is all the new 21st Century Canada.

I think my point about my brother really was that if you know what you are looking for (and it really is here), it's achievable.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:54 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by swoops
You've been watching to much of desperate housewife's....
Desperate Housewhores has nothing on life in Kelowna.

R.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:22 pm
swoops

Desperate Housewhores has nothing on life in Kelowna.

R.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

But you're not a typical migrant, and you're giving people a rose tinted view of life here.

I'm sure we'd all like to be organic goat herders earning a buck a day for an easy life but it just doesn't happen.
I couldn't agree more that I'm not the typical migrant. I met/married a Canadian and that's the only reason I'm here. I am not highly skilled/highly qualified so I am not someone who commands a high salary and the trappings that go with it.

But I am no more giving a rose tinted view of life here than you are giving a moronic view of what you seem to perceive as my lifestyle.

As a family we live in a house in a reasonably sized city, the teenage kids are normal teens, they go to school and do the things teens do. We watch TV, go to the movies, read, play computer games, surf the net, shop, eat, write, edit, enjoy wine, whisky, G&T.

We don't farm, grow our own, herd goats, keep chickens or anything like that.

Sound pretty normal don't we (except for not having a car)? You wouldn't, perhaps, be jealous that we can manage comfortably without the need for working would you?

I believe the original poster is considering living in this part of Canada. Perhaps my experience/lifestyle has some relevance.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Debt free in the Maritimes? Yep you can live damn cheaply. Plus you can fish in the Atlantic!!!

Lifestyle is more than the size of your house. Peace of mind, lack of worry, time to enjoy life, family, health etc are invaluable!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:43 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sound pretty normal don't we (except for not having a car)?
Exactly. You're not normal. Normality in Canada is 2.3 automobiles per household and 1.9 of those is a truck.

And jealous ? Piss off. I wouldn't swap my lifestyle for yours, even if you did have organic goats and a remote wool shack. When you're up to the top of your "I'm a Fisherman" ball cap in snow I'm lounging around in t-shirt and shorts.

R.

Last edited by Rich_007; Nov 21st 2008 at 1:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.