Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your 'must visit' places in Canada

And maybe stay away from Hamilton!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:53 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windward
I'd agree, with the exception of Montreal.
Actually you're probably right. I think it's the only Canadian city I've been too with any sense of its own identity.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:03 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Is that somewhere near Niagara on the LAKE
Oops. Quite right I wasn't driving you see, and they were very free and easy with the vino...

Beg to differ: Lived in Montreal for 28 years and Vancouver is definitely scarier and wilder; you really have to scour Mtl to find junkies shootin' in the street. Sure it has it's strip clubs and drenching bars, but they are mostly regulated now by Gouvernement du Quebec.Vancouver's Chinatown is . . . well, forget it Jake. It's just Chinatown.
Bah. If I want to see junkies shooting up on the street I can head anywhere. London, Birmingham, even down the road to my own town centre.
Point was you can go to Mtl. and find something you won't quite have seen anywhere else in a lifetime's globetrotting. I had much more fun with the 18 year old yanks over the border to get smashed legally for the weekend than I did with the needle-toting junkies in the alleys of Rue de Chomedey. Heroin doesn't make you interesting kiddies.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

phillfin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I'm heading out on the Bunac visa for a year on the 21st April, so only a few days away really!

I'm going to Toronto for the first 10 days and do niagara and then over to vancouver to work for a bit then explore that side, banff, jasper vancouver island etc. If i like Toronto i may head back over there towards the end again. If i have time i would like to explore some of the other areas and maybe head over to alaska also.

A few people have mentioned churchill and the polar bears. I'd like to know a bit more about that if anyone has any info? Whats the best season and is it expensive to do? Sounds pretty impressive .
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phillfin
A few people have mentioned churchill and the polar bears. I'd like to know a bit more about that if anyone has any info? Whats the best season and is it expensive to do? Sounds pretty impressive .
Looks like October/November is the time for polar bears a quick search on Google for "Churchill MB Polar Bears" turned up tons of hits.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:19 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Cape Breton consistently wins awards for being in the top ten places inthe world, never mind Canada - and the North Shore of Nova Scotia is just up the road.
For the love of god give it up man.

R.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
For the love of god give it up man.

R.
what he said....
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Anything "up north" is going to be expensive...its remote and not easy to get too. But, hey you are coming to visit Canada right, and whats more uniquely canadian than the north.

If I had the time and money I would definitely visit the far north, the scenery is truly breath taking, and the isolation fantastic. Just google images of Nahanni or Talus Lake. Traveling the Dempster Highway with the northern lights would be a memory for a lifetime

Last edited by iaink; Apr 11th 2008 at 1:01 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Winnipeg for 2yrs and it was too expensive for us to do We looked at train fare once and nearly fainted. Shame, but there you go. Around Hallowe'en is the best time to see them I think. The bears are so active in the town then that they floodlight the place for kids to go trick or treating, lest they be thought to be seals For flights from Winnipeg look at http://www.calmair.com/ . And get yourself a small mortgage If you are in Winnipeg though, the must-see for me would be Grand Beach and the sand dunes there. Although maybe not at Hallowe'en time, brrrr!

I must be the only one who was underwhelmed by Niagara Falls. Twice. I thought they'd be bigger and in a more scenic surrounding. Don't tell though, I'll have to hand the passport back