Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your life in a box

Your life in a box

Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:56 pm
Glaswegian

Seems to be a feature of Canadian houses.

Like not enough water pressure to have a shower and refill the toilet cistern at the same time .....

Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:07 pm
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Glaswegian
Like not enough water pressure to have a shower and refill the toilet cistern at the same time .....
Do not EVER flush the toilet whilst having a shower in a Canadian home - it can become VERY painful !!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:18 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by simonhouse
Slightly O/T:

I know very little about electricity, but is there a way to stop the lights in our apartment from dimming every time my wife uses the hairdryer, or when the microwave is in use.

It's happened everywhere we've lived in Canada, but never happened in the UK! I guess it has something to do with 120v vs 240?
That can be corrected by putting those appliances on separate circuits. I think that 240 volt systems would be less affected by having several appliances on one circuit. We use 220 volts to run bigger motors - like in an industrial setting. 110 volts would not turn these bigger motors.

I don't know if I would want 240 volts in my home - because it's more dangerous, and not necesssary.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

There is a way but its long winded.....

The problem is the lights and sockets nearly always share the same electrical route in Canada..

In the UK the socket and lights are on separate circuits. And often the power is on a ring main (loop) to assist in the power sharing…..

The solution is to re-wire… in some older houses this may not be so difficult..it may even be a good idea to re-wire… but in newer houses this could be a nightmare
Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant future
Default Re: Your life in a box

Originally posted by Tom Masters
We decided to take it all with us and are glad we did. We had the kids toys to take which would have cost a fortune to replace and the kids were kind of attached to anyway! By the time we worked out all the stuff we really wanted to take with us, it was cheaper just to take all of it. We didn't think we would get much if we sold it anyway!

There isn't a great deal of choice out here unless you like big, dark and ugly!

If I was doing it again, I would buy more duvet covers etc. as they are hard to find out here and the choice is limited.

Obviously we didn't take the electrical things with us!

Hello there,

Are the duvets or the covers in canada a different size from the uk as i remember correctly when i was sent a duvet as a gift from Canada my UK covers did not fit it.

Thanks
Sher
Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:56 pm
Glaswegian

They are different sizes

Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant futureSher has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Glaswegian
They are different sizes
Thanks you, I thought so.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:41 pm
Glaswegian

The beds appear to be different sizes too - but then its a long time since we saw a UK bed!