Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

YOUR economic outlook?

YOUR economic outlook?

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YOUR economic outlook?

Feeling good right now as just got a nice promotion last week (and the nice pay raise to go with it). Company is in the oil & gas industry though, so although we are doing well, we could do with oil prices raising again and natural gas to actually be worth drilling for!
Personally I feel pretty good about my short term future and hopeful of setting myself up long term too.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say at the moment my economic outlook is very poor. Haven't worked in 8 months, I send out applications and resumes and go to employment centers but I just dont get interviews.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:45 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

After the mare ive had regarding downturnage in the last 4 years... in the words of Yazz, the only way is up, baby.

Would love Ireland to turn completely around so we could head back to Dublin. God, i miss it so.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

now I am curious about something else. Those that replied being out of work for longer time, what is your area of work..and have you thought of giving a different province a try?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manitobain
now I am curious about something else. Those that replied being out of work for longer time, what is your area of work..and have you thought of giving a different province a try?
I'm an administrator with experience of office management and book-keeping but have applied for everything from check-out girl, sales assistant, shelf stocker to clerical assistant, book-keeper, administrative assistant and everything and anything else I can do with one hand tied behind my back and a blindfold on... it's very frustrating. I have also registered with all the agencies in town, employment services and have walked around with resume in hand giving it out to anyone who would give me 5 minutes of their time.

For me changing province isn't an option at present, my son and I bought a house together and without a job I won't be able to get another mortgage, he left his life in England to join me and he is very happy (and employed) in Ontario so I wouldn't feel very happy about having to relocate - I just got my son back after 9 years!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 4th 2012 at 2:20 am.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

fair enough siouxie , sure can't blame you. Can hear your frust ..and wish I could suggest something smart. I noticed here that in our little town there are several smaller employers (or self employed ppl) that are looking for help with admin/accounting work, but can't afford f/t help. I often thought if someone would come along and offer contract work for a few hours a week..they might be very interested. Don't know if that applies to your area though...

Ilse

Originally Posted by siouxie
I'm an administrator with experience of office management and book-keeping but have applied for everything from check-out girl, sales assistant, shelf stocker to clerical assistant, book-keeper and anything else I can do with one hand tied behind my back and a blindfold on... it's very frustrating. I have also registered with all the agencies in town, employment services and have walked around with resume in hand giving it out to anyone who would give me 5 minutes of their time.

For me changing province isn't an option at present, my son and I bought a house together and without a job I won't be able to get another mortgage, he left his life in England to join me and he is very happy (and employed) in Ontario so I wouldn't feel very happy about having to relocate - I just got my son back after 9 years!

Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:46 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to read that Siouxie
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Fitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really nice

fair enough siouxie , sure can't blame you. Can hear your frust ..and wish I could suggest something smart. I noticed here that in our little town there are several smaller employers (or self employed ppl) that are looking for help with admin/accounting work, but can't afford f/t help. I often thought if someone would come along and offer contract work for a few hours a week..they might be very interested. Don't know if that applies to your area though...

Ilse
Manitobain is on to something there; thinking of yourself as a solution provider and problem solver, on a p/t basis if needed, rather than a f/t someone to hire. That moves the question from 'do i really need the hassle of hiring this person' to 'how do i use what they can do in a way that pays me back'.

95% of resumes fail to get that bit right. I have just finished hiring for positions in the UK and US for (I work at HQ in Montreal), and the quality of the CVs I have seen is shocking. They still think this is a pre-internet age and with time to slowly peruse each page; of the 40+ I saw there was no mention of value add, no gripping opening, and no reference to online evidence (linkedin or your own portfolio of work).

Apart from the 2 i ended up hiring that is. Good luck and think of the value you deliver, not what you do.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have done nothing outside airlines and hotels, and I hate working in hotels with a passion, but I have tried the few in my area but not currently hiring, and there is no airline service to my area aside from Westjet which is difficult to get hired on with, and I have tried many times over the past 6 years.

I can't relocate as I have no funds to do so. I participate in all the programs welfare requires me to do, and I provide them with my list of jobs and companies I have sent resumes to, and the employment center redoes my resume and I have redone it as well.

The employment center place theory is a lack of education and skills since all I have it grade 12.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all

I am in the midst of a career change so looky rosy.

Being in Alberta as long as WTI stays north of $85 things will be fine, north of $100 things will be great. South of $80 for a prolonged time I don't want to think about.

A pipeline to export our oil to diversify away from the US is much needed
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

douglasgrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fitzer
Manitobain is on to something there; thinking of yourself as a solution provider and problem solver, on a p/t basis if needed, rather than a f/t someone to hire. That moves the question from 'do i really need the hassle of hiring this person' to 'how do i use what they can do in a way that pays me back'.

95% of resumes fail to get that bit right. I have just finished hiring for positions in the UK and US for (I work at HQ in Montreal), and the quality of the CVs I have seen is shocking. They still think this is a pre-internet age and with time to slowly peruse each page; of the 40+ I saw there was no mention of value add, no gripping opening, and no reference to online evidence (linkedin or your own portfolio of work).

Apart from the 2 i ended up hiring that is. Good luck and think of the value you deliver, not what you do.
Interesting post -- I guess it depends what type of position you apply for. In my industry personal web sites and linkedin are a big no no; unless you are a web designer/developer and plugging your portfolio.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by douglasgrant
In my industry personal web sites and linkedin are a big no no; unless you are a web designer/developer and plugging your portfolio.
That seems odd, I thought linkedin was well established in all areas of white collar work. What industry are you in?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by headingwest
A pipeline to export our oil to diversify away from the US is much needed
pfft
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:26 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Ilse
I think this is a bloody good idea too. If you are proficient with Simply Accounting and/or QuickBooks (preferably both) there is a lot of opportunity. At least there is in the Vancouver area. I am always being asked by clients if I know of a reliable bookkeeper who can work a few hours a week, or one day a month, or so on. Build up a few of those and you end up with near full time employment and you will likely earn more than as an employee.

It sure beats doing nothing.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I think this is a bloody good idea too. If you are proficient with Simply Accounting and/or QuickBooks (preferably both) there is a lot of opportunity. At least there is in the Vancouver area. I am always being asked by clients if I know of a reliable bookkeeper who can work a few hours a week, or one day a month, or so on. Build up a few of those and you end up with near full time employment and you will likely earn more than as an employee.

It sure beats doing nothing.
Unfortunately there is a dearth of people doing a similar thing in this area - on kijiji I see countless administrators, book-keepers and receptionists advertising their services for part time / full time and contract work. It's the nature of the present economic climate - a lack of jobs and many after the same kind of employment.

Believe me, that was the first thing I considered... I even thought of a virtual office business but there are plenty of them out there too.

I am applying for OSEB (self employment scheme) at the moment in the hopes that I will be accepted to begin to receive complete training on becoming self employed. As you say, it's better than doing nothing.

Thanks for the suggestions - they are all much appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.