Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your driving experiences in Canada

Your driving experiences in Canada

Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Emigre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your driving experiences in Canada

I am from London, as I am sure some people on this forum are as well, and anyone from here or who has driven here on a regular basis will know that there are a number of nutters on the roads who either don't believe in signalling, or believe that there is a constant need to drive at high speeds, or that 'tailgating' is a perfectly normal split-second gap between bumpers.

To me, this reflects a culture that is becoming increasingly impatient. A culture that expects everything in an instant and that any kind of waiting is too long, and consideration for other drivers is just not necessary because, as it goes, a Londoner is responsible to their own self only and sod everyone else .

As a number of forum users here are from a variety of Canadian cities, and given that the car is king in Canada [from what I have read anyway] what are the driving habits generally like in this regard? Of course, when I mention London's problems not ALL drivers are such but there are certainly plenty of them about.

Just wondered how Canadian habits compared in your experience.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:45 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your driving experiences in Canada

Pulls up a chair for this one.....
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Having driven in and around Toronto for years I now find the M25 to be blissful. Not only London but Chicago and, indeed, all American cities with the exception of NYC now seem havens of courtesy, discipline and competence.

(Well, maybe, the who-goes-first-at-this-corner puzzle in Boston is less than relaxing.)
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:49 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emigre
I am from London, as I am sure some people on this forum are as well, and anyone from here or who has driven here on a regular basis will know that there are a number of nutters on the roads who either don't believe in signalling, or believe that there is a constant need to drive at high speeds, or that 'tailgating' is a perfectly normal split-second gap between bumpers.
I didn't read this properly and just assumed you were talking about Canada. You'll go mental out here. The "number of nutters" is in fact everyone apart from British Expats (who are apparently paragons of driving virtue).
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:52 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
I didn't read this properly and just assumed you were talking about Canada. You'll go mental out here. The "number of nutters" is in fact everyone apart from British Expats (who are apparently paragons of driving virtue).
It wasn't until the end that it was obvious that it was London, England he was referring to and not London, Ontario....
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Emigre is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I sure as hell was not expecting this response...do they have any 'road rage' problems in Canada as well? Swearing, shouting, fighting etc....given that Canadians are always considered a polite bunch?

I know the same politeness is considered about the English too, but that is usually linked with our good-old class system i.e. the 'English gent' has always been linked to an 'upper-class' archetype....
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

To me, this reflects a culture that is becoming increasingly impatient. A culture that expects everything in an instant and that any kind of waiting is too long, and consideration for other drivers is just not necessary because, as it goes, a Londoner is responsible to their own self only and sod everyone else .

As a number of forum users here are from a variety of Canadian cities, and given that the car is king in Canada [from what I have read anyway] what are the driving habits generally like in this regard? Of course, when I mention London's problems not ALL drivers are such but there are certainly plenty of them about.

Just wondered how Canadian habits compared in your experience.
Sweeping generalisation here, I know, but I find most Canadian drivers to be of a poorer standard than I encountered in the UK. Not as agressive/pushy, maybe, but making more risky & stupid decisions (specifically referring to choices of overtaking places, number of people I know who will drive after drinking alcohol, driving way too fast for the road conditions, etc.)
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not only London but Chicago and, indeed, all American cities with the exception of NYC now seem havens of courtesy, discipline and competence.
My own two million microcents - I live in Ohio, my parents in Toronto. To drive to Toronto I take I-90 to Buffalo, then cross the border and take the QEW. The difference between the I-90 stretch and the QEW stretch is amazing. On the QEW the only cars traveling less than 80 mph and not weaving or tailgating have American plates. On the way home I can't wait to get off Ontario roads.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
The "number of nutters" is in fact everyone apart from British Expats (who are apparently paragons of driving virtue).
Oh, I routinely drive at the speed limit, expressed in kilos, but in miles. On highways I never a car length between me and the next car, regardless of speed, as someone will cut in. I pass as many cars on the right as the left (on all types of roads). I drive like a London boy.

Still, I shake my head at the typical driver here. I don't pass on the hard shoulder of highways, I indicate the direction I intend to turn rather than the other, I know how long my car is and can back into parking space. I can open and close my phone while staying in approximately the same lane. Frankly, I'm relieved when I see that a driver is Asian, I'm then calm, though disturbed over the idea of race as a cultural concept.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:03 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Sweeping generalisation here, I know, but I find most Canadian drivers to be of a poorer standard than I encountered in the UK.
Hah, you never encountered my driving in the UK (good thing too, as you'd probably be looking for a new car).
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:04 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Google just turned up this gem :-
The fact that the four way stop system works so well, with so few accidents, is a very good illustration of the difference between driving in the USA/Canada and in the UK.
Discuss.....

http://www.johncletheroe.org/usa_can...ng/fourway.htm
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well I sure as hell was not expecting this response...do they have any 'road rage' problems in Canada as well? Swearing, shouting, fighting etc....given that Canadians are always considered a polite bunch?
Every day I see a raised fist on the highway.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:06 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadians I know here think its hilarious that I won't answer my cell phone when I'm driving.

They also think its absolutely fine to get in the car and drive after three cans of 7% lager.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Bill_S
My own two million microcents - I live in Ohio, my parents in Toronto. To drive to Toronto I take I-90 to Buffalo, then cross the border and take the QEW. The difference between the I-90 stretch and the QEW stretch is amazing. On the QEW the only cars traveling less than 80 mph and not weaving or tailgating have American plates. On the way home I can't wait to get off Ontario roads.
On the last trip back from the p-i-l in western Colorado the first vehicle we saw driving in the wrong lane was in Chicago. It had Ontario plates.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
They also think its absolutely fine to get in the car and drive after three cans of 7% lager.
Oh, even I do that, the locals drink spirits from the bottle while driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.