View Poll Results: How is your Canadian accent?
I still speak 100% British
20.69%
I have taken up a few Canadian words
55.17%
I have a Britadian or Canatish accent
17.24%
I sound just like the locals!
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Your accent

Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:43 pm
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Spelling is another interesting one.

You'd be amazed how many Canadians think Colour is spelled 'Color' in Canada. According to this site, the real spelling here is Colour - just like us Brits.

Same with the pronunciation of the letter "Z". Plenty of Canadians (usually teens) think it's pronounced 'Zee', when the real pronunciation is in fact 'Zed'. (Got my facts from the Nationmaster encyclopedia on that one!)
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:07 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by donglemouse
"On our recent visit we found people couldn't understand my wife's name 'Natalie'. She'd tell them (in an English accent) and they didn't have a clue what she was saying, kept on asking her to repeat it usually resulting in her having to spell it. In the end she gave up and started calling herself "Nadalee""

Interesting when I give my name as Andew or Andy - they often seem to insist that I have told them my name is Andre (often followed by some comment like where the hell are you from)

I have now had to adopt the tactic of calling myself An-dru to avoid confusion

Glad to see your post I thought I was the only one who had this problem
I know a Martin (Brit) who became Monty in a transatlantic move. how can people say that the youngsters of today know nothing about history, Europe and the war ;-)
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:49 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Glaswegian
You spread budda on your bread here ...
Actually, we say "butter" not "budda"! Maybe it was an American saying that.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 6:00 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by simonhouse
Spelling is another interesting one.

You'd be amazed how many Canadians think Colour is spelled 'Color' in Canada. According to this site, the real spelling here is Colour - just like us Brits.

Same with the pronunciation of the letter "Z". Plenty of Canadians (usually teens) think it's pronounced 'Zee', when the real pronunciation is in fact 'Zed'. (Got my facts from the Nationmaster encyclopedia on that one!)
Actually, Canadians were (and are) taught to spell color as "colour". However, the Americans spell it as "color", and adding the "u" is just an extra keystroke, so some of us (like me) have opted to use "color".

Canadians say "zed" for z. Americans say "zee". I didn't know that teenagers are starting to say "zee" in Canada. We'll have to wash their mouths out when we catch them!

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jul 15th 2004 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:10 pm
Glaswegian

Originally posted by oceanMDX
Actually, Canadian were (and are) taught to spell color as "colour". However, the Americans spell it as "color", and adding the "u" is just an extra keystroke, so some of us (like me) have opted to use "color".

Canadians say "zed" for z. Americans say "zee". I didn't know that teenagers are starting to say "zee" in Canada. We'll have to wash their mouths out when we catch them!

Actually this is not technically correct. I have been a school volunteer marking grade one spelling tests - I had no idea which was correct for colour/color. After checking with the teacher I now know that at least in our school that both are acceptable.

I have also just asked both my children separately to tell me the last letter of the alphabet. Both said 'zee'. The older one wanted to know why and when I told him I was informed that 'zed' would be English but either would do in Canada!

Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:07 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Actually this is not technically correct. I have been a school volunteer marking grade one spelling tests - I had no idea which was correct for colour/color. After checking with the teacher I now know that at least in our school that both are acceptable.

I have also just asked both my children separately to tell me the last letter of the alphabet. Both said 'zee'. The older one wanted to know why and when I told him I was informed that 'zed' would be English but either would do in Canada!
You should understand that I am a native Canadian (i.e. born in Canada), and I was raised and educated in Canada (including a University degree). However, things may be changing for the kids regarding pronunciation. I have noted over the last few years in the Canadian print media that "xxxx". has change to "xxxx." - as the Americans do it.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jul 15th 2004 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:27 am
Glaswegian

You should understand that I am a native Canadian (i.e. born in Canada), and I was raised and educated in Canada (including a University degree). However, things may be changing for the kids regarding pronunciation. I have noted over the last few years in the Canadian print media that "xxxx". has change to "xxxx." - as the Americans do it.

I do realise that you were born and educated in Canada - however I was refering to your comment that "children were and are" taught a certain thing. I did specify that my comment could only relate to the school my children attend and therefore by definition is a very small population to sample. Hence why I started by saying your comment was not "technically" correct as your comment related to all Canadian school children.

Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:35 am
mañana is my busiest day

Good point, and I have to admit we are slowly slipping into some American habits. However, if you were to check out a Canadian-version, English language dictionary, you would see what I mean.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:34 am
Glaswegian

Good point, and I have to admit we are slowly slipping into some American habits. However, if you were to check out a Canadian-version, English language dictionary, you would see what I mean.
I think we are actually in agreement over this! In another post I have stated that our local teachers comment that our school uses "true Queen's English" is quite inaccurate. For example
zee/zed
color/colour
pants/trousers
underpants/pants
sidewalk/pavement
pavement/road
soccer/football
football/Canadian football

It can lead to quite a lot of confusion when talking to a Canadian - I still maintain we dont speak English over here just like those Quebec dont speak French.

Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:56 am
mañana is my busiest day

We have alway called soccer, soccer - well as far as I know anyway. But we use terms that the Americans don't know. I had a hilarious experience one time in a shopping mall in Houston, Texas. I was in a Sears store and asked a Black woman (a clerk) where the "washroom" was. She looked dumbfounded and asked if I needed to wash my clothes! So I asked for the "restroom" and she understood right away. Also, walk into any furniture store in the US and say you want to buy a "chesterfield" - they won't have a clue. They call it a sofa, we use the word sofa a lot too now, but not when I was a kid.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:00 am
Glaswegian

Is a chesterfield a brand? - it was a settee where I grew up, but a sofa in England.

Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:01 am
mañana is my busiest day

Is a chesterfield a brand? - it was a settee where I grew up, but a sofa in England.
Now that you ask:

chesterfield (chès´ter-fêld´) noun
1. A single- or double-breasted overcoat, usually with concealed buttons and a velvet collar.
2. Chiefly Northern California & Canada. A large, overstuffed sofa with upright armrests.

[After a 19th-century earl of Chesterfield.]

Regional Note: Chesterfield, a term for any type of sofa, was probably brought down from Canada, where it is common. According to Craig M. Carver in American Regional Dialects, this regionalism is "unique to northern California." The word probably comes from the name of a 19th-century earl of Chesterfield and originally referred "specifically to a couch with upright armrests at either end." It appears to have come into use in Canada around 1903 and in Northern California at about the same time.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:02 am
mañana is my busiest day

How was that for a fast and detailed answer. I feel entitled to a prize! Yes, I want a prize.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:05 am
Glaswegian

Where I come from Chesterfield is a small town with a church with a very obvious crooked spire.

They say the spire will straighten if a virgin ever get married in the church - it's been crooked for as long as I've known.

Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:25 am
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

It's always been 'Sofa' for me. Or three-piece suite when accompanied with two chairs following the same design.

But I understand Settee and Couch.

Never heard of Chesterfield before, apart from the town Glaswegian mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.