View Poll Results: How is your Canadian accent?
I still speak 100% British
20.69%
I have taken up a few Canadian words
55.17%
I have a Britadian or Canatish accent
17.24%
I sound just like the locals!
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Your accent

Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:58 am
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your accent

Quick poll about your accent, the way you pronounce words!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:09 am
Glaswegian

My accent varies - people I work with on a daily basis don't always recognise my telephone accent.

One guy got really confused because I "didn't have any accent at all".

Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:09 am
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add...

I thought I was still quite British sounding, and I certainly feel very British when speaking to the locals, but when I went back to England for a holiday everybody was telling me I sounded like an American!

Now my wife has instructed me to watch Eastenders all the time just to ensure I keep my accent
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:19 am
Glaswegian

My problem is knowing which accent to use - I'm a Glaswegian who spent 15 years in Leicester - I'm a bit "och aye me duck".

Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:52 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I have the ubiquitous Saaaarf London accent.... Can't shift that one very easily...lol
Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:43 am
Glaswegian

Been watching Corrie??

I almost need subtitles ......

Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

My accent? After 5 years it's all over the place. It always was before as I was Bournemouth born & bred but my Dad was from Yorkshire....

Apparently, I speak w/ a more English accent to friends on the phone etc but my accent slips towards Canadian when I'm playing with my kids. My Canadian wife notices this, but her mother still has some trouble understanding me and thinks I am 100% english - speakveryfastoopnorth as my dad used to say
Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:49 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Glaswegian
Been watching Corrie??

I almost need subtitles ......
I haven't watched it for about two years - but I do sneak a peak at Eastenders (lmao, that is soooo bad) and I love My Family with
the ever funny "Wolfie" from the seventies....and all that BBC Canada can throw at me.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

goatee is an unknown quantity at this point

our teenager picks up words and accents more than we do

and causes laughs at home
he was running round getting ready for school yelling wheres my green pants
i am yelling you have no green pants ( underwear)
and he gave me stupid mother look as he meant trousers

i think we use certain words for ease but still use british in family
flatware = cutlery
its caused some confusion at school multiply we use x they use a . dot work that out in algebra ?

i have to spell my name over for people and they call full stops period which i dont get

i still run my Uk business by phone and email so talk proper oxfordshire english for that and grunt in canada!
haha

Originally posted by dingbat
I haven't watched it for about two years - but I do sneak a peak at Eastenders (lmao, that is soooo bad) and I love My Family with
the ever funny "Wolfie" from the seventies....and all that BBC Canada can throw at me.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:04 am
Glaswegian

Originally posted by goatee
our teenager picks up words and accents more than we do

and causes laughs at home
he was running round getting ready for school yelling wheres my green pants
i am yelling you have no green pants ( underwear)
and he gave me stupid mother look as he meant trousers
This reminds me of my son's first week in kindergarten and the teacher came to my wife after class to tell her that our son had been "pulling his pants to his knees". My wife was utterly shocked until she realised the teacher actually meant "rolling his trouser legs up to his knees".:scared:

The excuse given by the 5year old was that the school was way too warm!

Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:57 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

On our recent visit we found people couldn't understand my wife's name 'Natalie'. She'd tell them (in an English accent) and they didn't have a clue what she was saying, kept on asking her to repeat it usually resulting in her having to spell it. In the end she gave up and started calling herself "Nadalee"
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:18 pm
Glaswegian

You spread budda on your bread here ...

Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:31 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

When we came over the four your old (Chloe) was told she has a wonderful accent, she said she didn't that the canadian had the accent. Should have seen her face. Then when the Canadian tried to tell Chloe she has the accent as she doesn't sound the same as everyone else.

There was the six of us and 1 Canadian in the subway store so Chloe said "we all sound the same and you don't, so you have the accent."

Smart mouth moo, hasn't gotten any better. She is now 10 going on 19, hair flicks and looks with all the attitude you can imagine.

Last edited by Grah; Jul 15th 2004 at 8:22 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:38 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I recall back in University one physics prof (an expat Brit) told the class about how his children would correct his accent on words like tomato.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

donglemouse is an unknown quantity at this point

"On our recent visit we found people couldn't understand my wife's name 'Natalie'. She'd tell them (in an English accent) and they didn't have a clue what she was saying, kept on asking her to repeat it usually resulting in her having to spell it. In the end she gave up and started calling herself "Nadalee""

Interesting when I give my name as Andew or Andy - they often seem to insist that I have told them my name is Andre (often followed by some comment like where the hell are you from)

I have now had to adopt the tactic of calling myself An-dru to avoid confusion

Glad to see your post I thought I was the only one who had this problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.