Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Young Family! probably headed to NS

Young Family! probably headed to NS

Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Young Family! probably headed to NS

Hi everyone, I'm a 24 YO Architectural Technologist from Newcastle with a wife an kid in tow. PR application in Feb 07, visited twice, once to Ontario and Once to Nova Scotia, had an interview on each visit and got very positive feedback each time however stopping just short of a job offer, however once home I have heard very little from them! Has anyone else had similar experiences? I also have a few queries regarding work culture specifically annual holidays, It appears in the first year there is no statutory paid leave as i'm on 27 plus bank hols that comes as bit of a shock! especially as we would hope by moving to Canada we would have an improved leisure life!
I was hoping to hear from anyone who has had similar concerns and anyone who works in Architecture. :-)
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Family! probably headed to NS

HI,

We are headed to NS too. The annual leave thing is often talked about on here. I think that Canadian ethic is "work hard-play hard".

I have over 8 weeks in total in the UK so it is alot to give up. You just have to look at all the reasons why you are making to move and hopefully the balance falls in the right direction.

Welcome to BE and I hope the decision making goes well.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

Hi there, yes most Brits do worry about holidays, we found that are lives here are less hectic and we don't spend all our time planning our next vacation, there is ample opportunity to enjoy all that this province has to offer in evenings and weekends, there are very few people compared to Uk and also no traffic on the highways when planning a long trip. Have you tried HRM for a job? most employers here would not necessarily be familiar with the process involved to process an application for you so will hold off until they have done it once or twice ..also if you go to the Immigration Office on Brunswick Street Halifax they will give you an employers package to help explain the Provincial Nominee Program to them or you can keep contacting the employer yourself..something that might feel strange to you in UK..its a less sophisticated way of doing things here and a telephone call asking as to when you might hear back from them would not be considered strange...
Let me know if can give you any more info ..
JS
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine it is something that you can negotiate for before you accept a job offer. I found the interview technique very laid back, we had a walk around the block then went to a cafe at the 'Hydrostone Market'! I think I may try and arrange a few more interviews.... don't fancy waiting another 3 years!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic
I imagine it is something that you can negotiate for before you accept a job offer.
Not sure that you can to be honest. My hubby is very in demand in Canada - has been approached by numerous companies over the past couple of years and it's only now that we're seriously considering taking up one of their offers. But even though he's being headhunted into jobs over there, when he's mentioned holiday to them they have said it would absolutely have to be statutory. Simply because if they gave him 5 weeks (which is what he currently gets) everybody else in the company would want the same! They're happy to negotiate on other stuff though but from our experience, negotiating on holiday time is a no go I'm afraid. Just thought I would share our findings.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:37 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Hi and welcome to BE

Depends on your reasons for the uk and why canada
Some companys are good with the holiday side and others are not

If you are willing to start lower and work up to what you have now in the uk is fine, i know the companys that we have spoke to are alot more secure than what they are in the uk and OH working hours are not as bad as the uk.

We are doing the move for better life for the 3 young kids that we have, i suppose if holidays is a high must, then other countrys offer better holidays from day 1, but sadly canada isnt brilliant unless the employer is willing upset all his other staff

gill
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it sounds like its just something that you have to accept... at least for the first few years!