Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Young couple looking to make the move

Young couple looking to make the move

Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

joestella28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young couple looking to make the move

Hey everyone, I've had a quick look through here and there is certainly a wealth of knowledge and experience.

I'm a recent Business Graduate (22) and am working full time. My girlfriend (25) is a recently qualified pharmacist (4 years masters degree + 1 year pre-registration year). We are both very keen to make the jump. Are there any UK Pharmacists that have made the move? As it stands, it looks as though my GF will have to undergo a further 32 weeks of study which in itself could be a deal breaker as this would have to be done in Canada. I myself may be able to secure a job before I get there as I work for the UK branch of Hydropool Industries (Toronto based hot tub manufacturer).

I don't have an exact question as such but I'm more just looking to hear of peoples experiences that have made the jump that had similarities to ourselves.

If I don't manage to secure a job before going I can still go to Canada on a 1 year visa can't I? Can someone elaborate on how this works or point me in the right direction of further information?

Any advice etc would be much appreciated, as I'm sure you can guess from this message we still have to do a lot of fact finding (we should be visiting next summer)

At present we have been looking into the southern Ontario area mainly for the prospect of jobs and climate. That said I'm open to other suggestions though I don't think I want to go too far North, the severity of the winter might be a bit too much for my gf

Kind Regards,

Joe
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young couple looking to make the move

If you could persuade your company to give you an inter-company transfer (to their offices in Toronto) it would simplify the process enormously and enable you to work temporarily without having to get an LMO (Labour market opinion) before issuance of the TWP (temporary work permit).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf section 5:31

General requirements
Intra-company transferees may apply for work permits under the general provision if they:
• are seeking entry to work in a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate of a multi-national company;
• will be undertaking employment at a legitimate and continuing establishment of that company (where 18-24 months can be used as a reasonable minimum guideline);
• are taking a position in a Executive, Senior Managerial, or Specialized Knowledge capacity;
• have been employed by the company outside Canada in a similar full-time position (not accumulated part-time) for one year in the three-year period immediately preceding the date of application. Extensions may be granted up to the 5 and 7 year maximums referred to in the tables at the end of this section (5.31) and in the table in section 11.2.

TIP: If the applicant has not had full-time work experience with the foreign company, the officer should consider other factors before refusing the applicant solely on this basis, such as:
• Number of years of work experience with the foreign company;
• The similarity of the positions. For example, is the applicant coming to work for a short period of time versus coming from a part-time position to a full-time longterm position?
• The extent of the part-time position (i.e., 2 days/week versus 4 days/week)
• Does it appear to be an abuse of the ICT provision?
• are coming to Canada for a temporary period only;
• comply with all immigration requirements for temporary entry.

You would have to be a job that was covered by one of these criteria in order to qualify for the above inter-company transfer. (section 5:31 D)

Executives and senior managers
Functional managers
Specialized knowledge workers

However, unless you are in a common law relationship (i.e. have lived together continuously for a period exceeding 12 months) or are married your girlfriend would have to apply separately...

You can visit Canada for up to 6 months (as a visitor) but you would not be permitted to work with out a permit. You can extend your visitor status but must have a good reason to do so.

Your other option would be to come over on a Bunac visa - an open work permit valid for 1 year for all people under the age of 32 and see if you could find a company willing to sponsor you for PR (permanant residency). http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

joestella28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young couple looking to make the move

Thanks for the reply, we have done a little more searching, it turns out there are quite a few companies that will sponsor foreign pharmacists through their training (Walmart etc). This is very good news, I can go over on the BUNAC scheme and hopefully manage to sort something out.

Kind Regards,

Joe