Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I'm starting to like words like ASSHOLE rather too much for my own good. I also say "that sucks" fairly regularily. Blokes are becoming guys, Going out with someone is dating, and hooking up may become an option...
When you have had the experiences i have had, you find your self using the word asshole allot. hehe!

Good to see we are back in business1
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

When you can eat a complete meal only using the fork!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

zider is an unknown quantity at this point

When you see CA and think of Canada rather than a state full of crackpots
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zider
When you see CA and think of Canada rather than a state full of crackpots
Actually, when i read your name it reminded me of my home county.... Zummerzet
Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

zider is an unknown quantity at this point

Not Ye Olde Ville? (Yeovil)
Old Apr 29th 2005, 11:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

when the man you hate most is no longer a footballer or politician but the Canadian Tire guy.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zider
Not Ye Olde Ville? (Yeovil)
Actually 4 of my family members live in yeovil and i also lived there for a while.

yer tis! Cheers me dear
Old Apr 30th 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by babyblue
Actually 4 of my family members live in yeovil and i also lived there for a while.

yer tis! Cheers me dear
Sorry guys been busy only catch up on the foru twice a week

well im in england at the moment had to come back for 6 months to work while visa processing :scared: got it through now landing in september would be sooner but need money

Any way my friends over here have found i talk to there children and say canadian terms to them like garbage and get the Mickey taken out of me for it but i simply explain that when i come home (Canada) i dont want to teach my kids brit speak so they dont have problems at school!

Keep it guys and girls for us Brits in Brit waiting to come home

Oh i do miss the mistakes though where someone think your austrailian in canada and says "put nother shrimp on the barby" or "good day mate" then explaining wrong country.

likewise its only after living in canada you can tell the difference between the american accent and the canadian, so if i meet a canadian, they dont like it when you say "are you american" lol even on purpose

Catch ya all later NO DOOT ABOOT IT

matty266
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matty266
Sorry guys been busy only catch up on the foru twice a week

well im in england at the moment had to come back for 6 months to work while visa processing :scared: got it through now landing in september would be sooner but need money

Any way my friends over here have found i talk to there children and say canadian terms to them like garbage and get the Mickey taken out of me for it but i simply explain that when i come home (Canada) i dont want to teach my kids brit speak so they dont have problems at school!

Keep it guys and girls for us Brits in Brit waiting to come home

Oh i do miss the mistakes though where someone think your austrailian in canada and says "put nother shrimp on the barby" or "good day mate" then explaining wrong country.

likewise its only after living in canada you can tell the difference between the american accent and the canadian, so if i meet a canadian, they dont like it when you say "are you american" lol even on purpose

Catch ya all later NO DOOT ABOOT IT

matty266
How true is that? I am always being asked if i am from Australia.
I think it is also becuase i have a somerset accent on top of british. I guess this would be confusing.
Kindda like us brits knowing the difference in county accents. I have no clue at times here. I am recongnising Newfie's and scotians now but don't ask me which part of canada one person is from.
Welcome back! i thought i would say it early
Old May 2nd 2005, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

WHERE ARE YOUR FUNNY STORIES?

EH EH EH? or is that scouse? no offense intended.
Old May 2nd 2005, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough

How true is that? I am always being asked if i am from Australia.
I think it is also becuase i have a somerset accent on top of british. I guess this would be confusing.
Kindda like us brits knowing the difference in county accents. I have no clue at times here. I am recongnising Newfie's and scotians now but don't ask me which part of canada one person is from.
Welcome back! i thought i would say it early
That is so true for me also, I am asked every day if I'm Australian! Last week a courier guy asked me the same thing - and he was from Manchester!!

I'm from Norwich, so I have that Norfolk thing going on also, although thankfully the "norfolk" part of me is disappearing, but I'm scared of having that "mid-atlantic" accent that I used to think sounded so fake, but you cant help it can you?

But, thinking of Canadian-isms(?)Once, in a meeting at work, to liven up the proceedings, we were handed "wank-word" bingo cards (I kid you not!), I thought they were having me on.

Its like a bingo card that instead of numbers has all sorts of "cliches"
e.g "bang for your buck", "from the get-go" etc etc. Everytime someone said a "cliche" in the meeting, you got to cross a word off and the first one to completely fill their card is the winner.

After my initial shock, I asked someone what the word "wank" meant in Canada - apparantly it doesnt mean anything, so why they chose that word for the bingo I have no idea. It gave me a real laugh anyhow!
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:52 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Hehehe, I love this thread!

I realised (realized?) I was becoming Canadian when a friend from the US told me I'd picked up a 'Canadian way of speaking', as he put it. I'm Norwegian, so it was kind of funny to hear I sounded like a Canadian. A couple of days later, I heard myself tell the kids to 'stop running arOUnd in the hOUse, and go OUtside', and I knew exactly what he meant.
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flatty38
But, thinking of Canadian-isms(?)Once, in a meeting at work, to liven up the proceedings, we were handed "wank-word" bingo cards (I kid you not!), I thought they were having me on.

Its like a bingo card that instead of numbers has all sorts of "cliches"
e.g "bang for your buck", "from the get-go" etc etc. Everytime someone said a "cliche" in the meeting, you got to cross a word off and the first one to completely fill their card is the winner.

I know it as "Bullshit Bingo". Every time you hear one of the phrases mentioned in a meeting you cross it off and when you get a complete line you shout "Bingo" (just do a Google search for more info) . It is intended to reduce the number of cliches used in meetings.
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flashman
I know it as "Bullshit Bingo". Every time you hear one of the phrases mentioned in a meeting you cross it off and when you get a complete line you shout "Bingo" (just do a Google search for more info) . It is intended to reduce the number of cliches used in meetings.
I have never heard of this Bullshit Bingo. I died laughing when i read this post. That is really funny. Maybe someone could invent one for here or the Expats meet-up. That would be a great laugh.
My 14 year old son thought it would be cool to call his friend a Wanker the other day infront of me. Well i was not to impressed, let me tell ya!
He then said "it is ok mum cos it does not mean anything here at all. Maybe not but i do still have british in me. soon straightened that one out. :scared:
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard of this Bullshit Bingo. I died laughing when i read this post. That is really funny. Maybe someone could invent one for here or the Expats meet-up. That would be a great laugh.
My 14 year old son thought it would be cool to call his friend a Wanker the other day infront of me. Well i was not to impressed, let me tell ya!
He then said "it is ok mum cos it does not mean anything here at all. Maybe not but i do still have british in me. soon straightened that one out. :scared:

A while back msn published a column by a stock hustler out of Vancouver called John Casper, he's still around peddling "yummy tax advantages". The column I enjoyed announced that we, the public, would be hearing a lot of wanking about some financial instrument. I immediately wrote to Mr. Casper congratulating him on making explicit what I had long assumed to be his habit as regards financial statements and referring him to Roger Daltrey's famous quote about tax exiles "wanking over their bank books". He never replied but, in his pictures, his hands are concealed and he's squinting so, I guess, stocks and bonds are still his thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.