Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Originally Posted by Iginla
Hi,

What I meant was that although I'm proud to be Canadian I realise that I wasn't born there and still have my own cultural identities. I suppose in some ways I'm a plastic Canadian.

I love Canada but give me (e.g.) a sporting event between Canada and my homeland and Canada comes second.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes, it makes perfect sense Have to say though, I'd probably be rooting for the canucks (maybe summat to do with having been here a while now)

From your name, it's safe to assume you're a Flames fan? We should have brought Stanley home in the last playoffs - and if the darned refs had done their job fairly we WOULD have
Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Hi,

What I meant was that although I'm proud to be Canadian I realise that I wasn't born there and still have my own cultural identities. I suppose in some ways I'm a plastic Canadian.

I love Canada but give me (e.g.) a sporting event between Canada and my homeland and Canada comes second.

Hope that makes sense.

shame on you!!!!! you know of course what one can do with plastic?
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:30 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose in some ways I'm a plastic Canadian.
No, that would make you Pam Anderson.

I know what you mean. I've been to a few (ice) hockey games in Britain and I just support the team with the most Canadians on it.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

nivlass will become famous soon enoughnivlass will become famous soon enough

The hardest sporting event for me in recent years was watching the rowing final in the olympics. The Canadians and the Brits going neck and neck. I was routing for the Brits mostly, but then the Canadians too. My loyalties were severely tested.

As far as a Canadian's sense of humour, sometimes I have found it suspect, but the most part they get it and have a good sense of humour about themselves. (my experience anyway).
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi
This may be 'immigration paranoia' setting in and may sound silly but:

Would Canadians be offended by any of this? I thought some of the bits were so humerous that I pasted some of it to an email to our friends we met out there who I thought were very liberal- and they haven't responded- yet.
Is the Canadian sense of humour up to some of the piss taking from a British persective? I thought it was harmless as I see some Canadians have related to it in a big way without being offended.

Just curious.

D
Honestly this was in no way intending to take the piss out of Canadians at all. I just set up the thread in order to discuss funny things that we find ourselves saying since we moved here. I have no intentions of offending anyone especially the open hearted canadians that i have met since i have been here. I think we also misunderstand the Canadian humour. In fact i did not know how to take some people when i first arrived. I guess thats becuase i am British(stiff uppper lip and all!).
I also felt this forum was strugling to have fun and laughter. Sometimes it was becoming far too serious.
I am more than open to the opposition! what about the things Canadians find themselves doing or saying in Britain?
i am sure there are a few more tales there!

I am glad that many people enjoyed this thread and are still finding time to join in the fun. We all struggle at times with the resettlement process and we need a release.

KEEP UP THE FUN GUYS!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:19 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hey!
I too thought the thread was hilarious, but I got a bit concerned when I didnt get a reply from our Canadian friends after forwarding the best bits!
Which made me raise the question about whether Canadians dont mind having harmless fun poked at them?
We Brits are an odd breed and I was worried that I might have overstepped the mark by imposing our 'odd' sense of humour.
Like I said, probably paranoia, our friends might not have picked up there email recently. But the last thing I want to do is unintentionally upset someone who has shown such warmth and kindness to us, over a 'cultural misunderstanding'?

Cheers
D

Originally Posted by babyblue
Honestly this was in no way intending to take the piss out of Canadians at all. I just set up the thread in order to discuss funny things that we find ourselves saying since we moved here. I have no intentions of offending anyone especially the open hearted canadians that i have met since i have been here. I think we also misunderstand the Canadian humour. In fact i did not know how to take some people when i first arrived. I guess thats becuase i am British(stiff uppper lip and all!).
I also felt this forum was strugling to have fun and laughter. Sometimes it was becoming far too serious.
I am more than open to the opposition! what about the things Canadians find themselves doing or saying in Britain?
i am sure there are a few more tales there!

I am glad that many people enjoyed this thread and are still finding time to join in the fun. We all struggle at times with the resettlement process and we need a release.

KEEP UP THE FUN GUYS!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Hey!
I too thought the thread was hilarious, but I got a bit concerned when I didnt get a reply from our Canadian friends after forwarding the best bits!
Which made me raise the question about whether Canadians dont mind having harmless fun poked at them?
We Brits are an odd breed and I was worried that I might have overstepped the mark by imposing our 'odd' sense of humour.
Like I said, probably paranoia, our friends might not have picked up there email recently. But the last thing I want to do is unintentionally upset someone who has shown such warmth and kindness to us, over a 'cultural misunderstanding'?

Cheers
D

I'm canadian, and find this thread to be one of the funniest i've read in a very long time. i may not always catch the "english humour" on first go.....but eventually.....I do.....keep this thread going......it's hilarious!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Hey!

Cheers
D
No worries!
i am sure that they are probably laughing at us brits too. To them we say some strange things. I have had that paranoia myself at times but i think that is us brits!
I think the only way we could possibly upset our friendly Canadians is when we accidently say a british word that means something offensive to them.
I called my boyfriend a wally in fun the other day and he looked at me really startled! ooops! i think he thought i was being really nasty.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

That is great to hear!

Cheers mate!
or should i say!

right on!

Originally Posted by willmore
I'm canadian, and find this thread to be one of the funniest i've read in a very long time. i may not always catch the "english humour" on first go.....but eventually.....I do.....keep this thread going......it's hilarious!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have just thought of something else!

making a sandwich that resembles the CN tower! instead of bread, butter and a slice of tesco's sandwich meat!
having cheese in every sandwich or else it is not a sandwich!

watching the children that i care for suddenly talking with an english accent and the parents having to ask me to interperate what they are saying. That is funny EH?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

carrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud of

I have just thought of something else!

making a sandwich that resembles the CN tower! instead of bread, butter and a slice of tesco's sandwich meat!
having cheese in every sandwich or else it is not a sandwich!

watching the children that i care for suddenly talking with an english accent and the parents having to ask me to interperate what they are saying. That is funny EH?
come on keep this thread going its been great to read
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carrieann
I am so glad you have enjoyed reading this thread. I must admit there were some really funny threads!
Keep it up guys!

YOU KNOW YOU'RE BECOMING CANADIAN WHEN?..........
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carrieann
thanks for the support but i think the thread died! Like you, I was actually enjoying the fun stories. maybe there are no more!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

carrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud of

thanks for the support but i think the thread died! Like you, I was actually enjoying the fun stories. maybe there are no more!
i know what a bummer eh!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:17 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to like words like ASSHOLE rather too much for my own good. I also say "that sucks" fairly regularily. Blokes are becoming guys, Going out with someone is dating, and hooking up may become an option...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.