Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Apr 20th 2005, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Originally Posted by Iginla
... Love the national anthem!

Get a tingle with it that's close to your own.

Realise the pride they have in their national game and how much it means to them

Stand with thousands of Canadians and share a part of the tingle their pride (although you know you're not, and never will be a Canadian) at the song.

Enjoy it so much you can become a critic of a good and bad rendition.

Stand listening to it with your cell phone on so your partner can share the live version whilst watching it on TV (meanwhile you're promising her you'll be home by 2300).

Make up your own silly version of it from the first time you hear it in Canada and make it your own little anthem.

OHHH Ca-na-da,

You'-ve GO-OT BIG roads. (that's it! for the moment)

don't know whether to support your local hockey team or not because the other team has a player on it that's signed to your local NHL team.

Realise that fighting is normal behaviour and part and parcel of a physical sport and worth a 2 minute penalty and not a couple of tabloid/broadsheet headlines and an inquiry.

In conclusion (IMO)

You know you're becoming canadian when you...

realise it's the American lifestyle without the shite.
that's funny right there!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

nivlass will become famous soon enoughnivlass will become famous soon enough

when you actually like Canadian beer more than English.

you develop a molson muscle instead of a beer belly

you never walk, always drive

you think nothing of driving four hours to go shopping for a couple of hours

cider is no longer considered alcoholic

you winterize your car

a normal winter safety tip is now never lick a metal pole
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

=IginlaStand with thousands of Canadians and share a part of the tingle their pride (although you know you're not, and never will be a Canadian) at the song.

Ooooooooh sorry, but that part couldn't be MORE wrong!! The majority of Canadians ARE 'immigrants'. It's what being 'Canadian' is all about! I am very proud to be, and consider myself a 'Canadian', and yes, I get that tingle, too!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

nivlass will become famous soon enoughnivlass will become famous soon enough

I agree with Calgal on that one. Canadians embrace people's differences (for the most part), it is what it is all about.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
Ooooooooh sorry, but that part couldn't be MORE wrong!! The majority of Canadians ARE 'immigrants'. It's what being 'Canadian' is all about! I am very proud to be, and consider myself a 'Canadian', and yes, I get that tingle, too!

You need to study your history more. Before Trudeau came to power, Canada was VERY British and most of the the immigrants outside of Quebec were British.
Before Trudeau took power we were a MELTING POT of British and French. This multicultural crap started in 1968 for your information. Trudeau wanted to erased "British Canada" but preserved French Quebec.

When Trudeau came to power, British Canada was gone.

Last edited by iwanttotalktoyou; Apr 20th 2005 at 4:54 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:52 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

My folks are staying with me for a week and I took them to Loblaws yesterday.

They didn't know what club sized products were, or that the cashiers bag stuff up for you too...

I just took all this for granted. Does this mean I'm becoming a Canadian too??
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:33 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iwanttotalktoyou
You need to study your history more. Before Trudeau came to power, Canada was VERY British and most of the the immigrants outside of Quebec were British.
Before Trudeau took power we were a MELTING POT of British and French. This multicultural crap started in 1968 for your information. Trudeau wanted to erased "British Canada" but preserved French Quebec.

Your not making any sense... at least to me and I can't be the only one. Calgal is accurate in saying that "the majority of Canadians ARE 'immigrants'" yet you disagree and then seem to contradict yourself and then bring Trudeau into it? I'm confused!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

Your not making any sense... at least to me and I can't be the only one. Calgal is accurate in saying that "the majority of Canadians ARE 'immigrants'" yet you disagree and then seem to contradict yourself and then bring Trudeau into it? I'm confused!
Of course we're all immigrants (expect First Nations people). I was refering to this "multicultural" Canada that so many people talked about. sorry.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

I stated a simple fact - most Canadians ARE immigrants - whether French or British, or any other origin. Whether first, second, third, or more generations! The only true 'Native Canadians' are the few remaining Indian tribes. Maybe you should do YOUR homework
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:52 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course we're all immigrants (expect First Nations people). I was refering to this "multicultural" Canada that so many people talked about. sorry.
I still don't know what your point is or was.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:55 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by babyblue
That is totally awsome!

right on Buddies!

this is starting to be a funny thread EH!
Hi
This may be 'immigration paranoia' setting in and may sound silly but:

Would Canadians be offended by any of this? I thought some of the bits were so humerous that I pasted some of it to an email to our friends we met out there who I thought were very liberal- and they haven't responded- yet.
Is the Canadian sense of humour up to some of the piss taking from a British persective? I thought it was harmless as I see some Canadians have related to it in a big way without being offended.

Just curious.

D
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi
This may be 'immigration paranoia' setting in and may sound silly but:

Would Canadians be offended by any of this? I thought some of the bits were so humerous that I pasted some of it to an email to our friends we met out there who I thought were very liberal- and they haven't responded- yet.
Is the Canadian sense of humour up to some of the piss taking from a British persective? I thought it was harmless as I see some Canadians have related to it in a big way without being offended.

Just curious.

D
I really don't think so
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

While on the 'phone to my cousin she said that she fell on her "Fanny" and I spent half an hour trying to figure how she managed that!
In Scotland the 'phrase "getting it tight" means getting a hard time from the better half, in Canada, it apparently means something totally different!
Kenny
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:22 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reality check!
Alarm bells rang when they were raving over the British comedy "Are you being served"!?

D

(QUOTE=Calgal]I really don't think so [/QUOTE]
Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:34 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Hi,

What I meant was that although I'm proud to be Canadian I realise that I wasn't born there and still have my own cultural identities. I suppose in some ways I'm a plastic Canadian.

I love Canada but give me (e.g.) a sporting event between Canada and my homeland and Canada comes second.

Hope that makes sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.