Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:01 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Originally Posted by dbd33
Canada's not just abput granola and horse drawn ploughs you know. People buy stuff here too.
Ooh Canada, where Adbusters and Greenpeace was founded.
I think it reasonably fair to say Canada is a little less consumerist and materialistic than The Great Satan
Else why do all thr Bubba's think we all jes a bunch o' goddamned comm'nist hippies on snowmobiles ?

Rich.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Well thats interesting. On our last trip to the UK this past spring, we were thought to be americans in most major cities and towns. However once we were outside of london and in small cities the folks could distinguish between the accents.

In Ireland they were able to tell we were canadians immediately without even being told!

And yes we met many many americans backpacking as we were who were wearing the maple leaf pretending to be canadians because "they were treated better" if they did!
They're clever these rural Englanders. I can't tell Canadian and American accents apart. That is, I can tell Canadians because of the constant use of eh, but not by sound and, of course, I can tell some of the extreme US accents. However, Cincinnati vs. Brampton, Maine vs. Newfoundland, I've no chance.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
If one 'merican has that much notoriety it must have been G.W. Bush.
Hmmmm - but how could he possibly be so well traveled, yet remain so thi........ errrrrr I mean unaware!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:04 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I don't think your Goggle stats mean very much :

Results 1 - 10 of about 748,000 for Canadians pretending to be Americans. (0.19 seconds

Results 1 - 10 of about 749,000 for Americans pretending to be Canadians. (0.24 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 779,000 for Russians pretending to be Americans. (0.19 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 175,000 for Plumbers pretending to be Americans. (0.21 seconds)
The problem with your analysis is that you failed to notice that whenever "Americans" and "pretending" are combined in a search, the result is links to articles about Americans pretending to be Canadians.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I think it reasonably fair to say Canada is a little less consumerist and materialistic than The Great Satan.
Oh, I don't think that's true at all. My neighbour, a carpenter, is currently building a child's backyard climbing frame for a client out of specially imported teak and mahogany. He's using those woods as every child in Rosedale has a cedar one and the parents want something more expensive. There's lunatic consumerism in every country.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The problem with your analysis is that you failed to notice that whenever "Americans" and "pretending" are combined in a search, the result is links to articles about Americans pretending to be Canadians.
Hold on, I'll just scroll through all 3/4 million of them and demonstrate that that's not the case.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:14 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Try a search of "Canadians pretending" and see how many links to articles about "Americans pretending to be Canadians" comes up.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:18 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Pretending to be Canadian has become a business in the US:

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2554-8534r.htm
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Try a search of "Canadians pretending" and see how many links to articles about "Americans pretending to be Canadians" comes up.
The same would be true if you reduced the query to just "pretending to be". Not that arguing about search engines gets us any closer to a non-Canadian source for the idea that people fake being Canadian.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:22 pm
mañana is my busiest day

The same would be true if you reduced the query to just "pretending to be". Not that arguing about search engines gets us any closer to a non-Canadian source for the idea that people fake being Canadian.
You are living in a bubble.

" American travelers have been disguising themselves as Canadians for 30 years," said one expert in Canadian-American relations at the University at Buffalo, part of the State University of New York. "

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2554-8534r.htm
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:27 pm
mañana is my busiest day

More tips for 'mericans on how to pretend to be a Canadian:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/aaronorear/canadian.html

This is good:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tressay26.html

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 11th 2006 at 5:31 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

More tips for 'mericans on how to pretend to be a Canadian:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/aaronorear/canadian.html

This is good:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tressay26.html
That's two Canadian sources, the UofT and Mr. Cohen. I was looking for something less self-aggrandizing. Still, I accept that there has probably been an American who pretended to be a Canadian, just not that it's anything like as common as Canadians like to think.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Actually the UK is probable more American than Canada due to more

- Focus on style and superficiality

- Consumerism and conspicious consumption

- Personality culture (The Royals, Showbiz ec.)
ouch
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
In my experience Canadians are just as materialistic.

What about superficiality (Cool Brittania) ?

Personality culture (What's the Canadian equivalent of the Royals?)

I only identified three criteria but there's many more.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by flashman
Personality culture (What's the Canadian equivalent of the Royals?)
Any of the people Peter C Newman writes about in McLeans. Actually, all of McLeans is hagiography, mostly in adoration of Conrad Black and Barbara Ameil.

Celine Dion.

Shania Twain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.