Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
"Injun" is an American term, not a Canadian one in the first place. In Canada, Aboriginals have what is called a "Treaty Card", or "Indian Card". I used to employ a "Treaty Indian" and she had a "Treaty Card". In Canada, Indians don't refer to this card as an "Injun Card" - in the US maybe they do, but not in Canada.
I thought the fundamental point about an "Injun Card" (the US usage you say) or an "Indian Card" (the Canadian usage you say) was that it didn't refer to a particular country. Holders of the card may be passport holders in either the US or Canada but have rights in both countries as they of neither. There are a number of reserves/reservations that span the border but, more importantly these days, skilled workers who hold a card are not limited by even the NAFTA limitations on working back and forth across the border, not only that but they're eligible for set aside dollars in either country.

I note from your id that you're in Vancouver and Mexico and suppose you've retired. Perhaps you wanna think about the idea that you may not be up to speed with slang in Ontario.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
In this house it doesn't mean "daft" so much as politically correct to the point of indecision. "Don't be so Canadian" is what I hear when I hesitate about doing something that's illegal here but usual in Europe; say having wine with a picnic or sex in a car.
You have confused me...
This was in a sporting arena when a linebacker cost a touchdown due to some infringement. Also again recently at US customs when some guy kept signing some paperwork in the wrong place, the official said it to me, knowing I was a Brit like I should've understood. More like English abusing Irish type deal.
Maybe its a West Coast thing.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can see... just an irrelevant web site. I wasn't able to Google any "Injun clubs", but there were over 20,000 references to "Newfie Clubs".
You said you'd never heard an Indian, by which I assumed you meant a First Nations person, use the term "Injun" so I found you an example. I suppose I can find more examples if it's important.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Hudman
You have confused me...
This was in a sporting arena when a linebacker cost a touchdown due to some infringement. Also again recently at US customs when some guy kept signing some paperwork in the wrong place, the official said it to me, knowing I was a Brit like I should've understood. More like English abusing Irish type deal.
Maybe its a West Coast thing.
Maybe. I should say that I get nagged as a Canadian by the kids and their mother (Canadians themselves but frequent visitors to Europe) not by the resident American. I'm not aware of Americans using "Canadian" as an insult.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

In this house it doesn't mean "daft" so much as politically correct to the point of indecision. "Don't be so Canadian" is what I hear when I hesitate about doing something that's illegal here but usual in Europe; say having wine with a picnic or sex in a car.

Having wine with a picnic is ILLEGAL?? They really should give us immigrants a fighting chance and pass out handbooks on the law as we land...lol
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Calgal
Having wine with a picnic is ILLEGAL?? They really should give us immigrants a fighting chance and pass out handbooks on the law as we land...lol
I have been fined for :

- wine with picnic

- allowing children to paddle in lake, no permit

both of which left me gobsmacked, and

- pick up soccer in park, no permit

I had to work for that ticket, the cop wanted to let us off with a warning but I was collecting strange tickets as decorations and it was worth $52 to me.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 11th 2006 at 1:51 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:51 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I thought the fundamental point about an "Injun Card" (the US usage you say) or an "Indian Card" (the Canadian usage you say) was that it didn't refer to a particular country. Holders of the card may be passport holders in either the US or Canada but have rights in both countries as they of neither. There are a number of reserves/reservations that span the border but, more importantly these days, skilled workers who hold a card are not limited by even the NAFTA limitations on working back and forth across the border, not only that but they're eligible for set aside dollars in either country.
Wrong! Indians (with an "Indian Card") have no right to a passport in both the US and Canada. If they were born in the US, they are US citizens. If born in Canada they are Canadian citizens. In neither case do Indians of one country have a right to citizenship (passport holders) in the other. Under the Jay Treaty, Canadian born Indians may enter the US and take up employment if they want (a right under the Jay Treaty), but there is no right to US citizenship. Indians born in the US have no "right" to enter or work in Canada - just like any other US citizen. This is because Canada does not recognize the Jay Treaty (a treaty between the US and Britain).

I note from your id that you're in Vancouver and Mexico and suppose you've retired. Perhaps you wanna think about the idea that you may not be up to speed with slang in Ontario.
Don't worry, I'm up to speed on the slang used in Ontario. I was born, raised and educated in Ontario (including university), and most of my family still lives there. We have a cottage outside of Hanover so I visit periodically.

I understand that you spend much of your time in the US. Perhaps you get the slang used in the two countries mixed up at times. That can easily happen when you're not a native of Canada like me.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 11th 2006 at 1:56 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

Wrong! Indians (with an "Indian Card") have no right to a passport in both the US and Canada.
I didn't mean to suggest that they did. "either the US or Canada" was intended to imply one or the other.

Indians born in the US have no "right" to enter or work in Canada - just like any other US citizen.
This is a complex area. US citizens do have a limited right to work in Canada and vice-versa. Status Indians have slightly different rights. Still, I'd just as soon go back to teasing you about Newfoundland, what do you think was Steve and Aggies best song ? How about Buddy Wassiname and the Other Fellas ?

Don't worry, I'm up to speed on the slang used in Ontario. I was born, raised and educated in Ontario (including university), and most of my family still lives there. We have a cottage outside of Hanover so I visit periodically.

I understand that you spend much of your time in the US. Perhaps you get the slang used in the two countries mixed up at times. That can easily happen when you're not a native of Canada like me.
Well no doubt, t'would be a fine thing to be a native of Canada like yourself.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:06 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

You said you'd never heard an Indian, by which I assumed you meant a First Nations person, use the term "Injun" so I found you an example. I suppose I can find more examples if it's important.
"Indian" is a common term in Canada - as in the "Indian Act" of Canada. They generally aren't called "First Nations' person" - you should know that.

Your web site is not even based in Canada, and I didn't see any reference to "Injun".
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:10 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Calgal
Generally, boozing in public is illegal in Canada.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

I have been fined for :

- wine with picnic

- allowing children to paddle in lake, no permit

both of which left me gobsmacked, and

- pick up soccer in park, no permit

I had to work for that ticket, the cop wanted to let us off with a warning but I was collecting strange tickets as decorations and it was worth $52 to me.
LOL Crazy, eh?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

"Indian" is a common term in Canada - as in the "Indian Act" of Canada. They generally aren't called "First Nations' person" - you should know that.

Your web site is not even based in Canada, and I didn't see any reference to "Injun".
That's interesting to note, as I have NEVER heard them referred to as "Indian", only "First Nations" or "Native" (maybe that's just Alberta)
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:17 am
mañana is my busiest day

This is a complex area. US citizens do have a limited right to work in Canada and vice-versa. Status Indians have slightly different rights. Still, I'd just as soon go back to teasing you about Newfoundland, what do you think was Steve and Aggies best song ? How about Buddy Wassiname and the Other Fellas ?
No, US citizens (whether they are status Indians or not) have no inherent "right" to work in Canada - period!

Canadians have no inherent right to work in the US except qualifying Indians due to the Jay Treaty.

Rather than try to tease me about Newf. - you can't because I'm not a Newfie - why don't you just admit that you were wrong about US-born Indian rights regarding living or working in Canada and move on?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 11th 2006 at 2:19 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

Generally, boozing in public is illegal in Canada.
Your equation of "wine with picnic" and "boozing" tells the whole story.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:22 am
mañana is my busiest day

Your equation of "wine with picnic" and "boozing" tells the whole story.
Canadians are opposed to boozing in public so "wine with picnic" is generally prohibited. I didn't write the laws; and I don't booze.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.