Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You can now cancel a cell contract after 2 years + more good news!

You can now cancel a cell contract after 2 years + more good news!

Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:49 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up You can now cancel a cell contract after 2 years + more good news!

Three year contracts are being kicked out. No matter if you signed a three year contract you can dump it after 2 years.

Providers will have to allow their customers to unlock their devices after 90 days, or immediately if they have paid the full amount of the device.

There is also a data price cap being imposed to cut out type of bills.
The regulator is capping extra data charges at $50 per month and international data roaming charges at $100 per month.

More at: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Cana...313/story.html
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You can now cancel a cell contract after 2 years + more good news!

Originally Posted by james.mc
Three year contracts are being kicked out. No matter if you signed a three year contract you can dump it after 2 years.

Providers will have to allow their customers to unlock their devices after 90 days, or immediately if they have paid the full amount of the device.

There is also a data price cap being imposed to cut out type of bills.
The regulator is capping extra data charges at $50 per month and international data roaming charges at $100 per month.

More at: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Cana...313/story.html
The way it was debated on the national news last night made it sound much less advantageous than that article did. The news made it sound like the providers would simply have to notify customers once those data and roaming limits were reached each month; not that they couldn't charge more. As with most things, I suspect the devil will be in the detail.

I wonder how much new phones will now cost
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:58 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I need to add: The code will apply to new contracts starting 02 Dec 2013.

Kid me not, I am sure the 'providers' will find some other way to jack their revenue slice upwards and continue to 'provide' amply for themselves.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The way it was debated on the national news last night made it sound much less advantageous than that article did. The news made it sound like the providers would simply have to notify customers once those data and roaming limits were reached each month; not that they couldn't charge more. As with most things, I suspect the devil will be in the detail.

I wonder how much new phones will now cost
Less. Unless, you mean just upfront costs, then more.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Less. Unless, you mean just upfront costs, then more.
I meant the dollar amount charged for the phones. Presently, it appears that they are all using the Virgin's tab, for the phone. A set amount is set aside each month to pay for the phone over the duration of the contract. This is a farce, but it works for them as they hook you for 3 years. Clearly, if you cancel early, you have to pay the outstanding balance to them.

With only 2 year contracts, I cannot see that they will increase the amount paid off the tab each month. To ensure that they do not have to chase their customers for the balance, it appears to me that they will charge the customer the difference at the outset. I assume that that is what you meant by "upfront costs".

Why do you say less? Do you believe that the contract monthly payments will decrease significantly?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why do you say less? Do you believe that the contract monthly payments will decrease significantly?
A 3 year contract phone will (usually) work out more expensive when you compare the total amount spent over that time.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:50 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

My reading of it suggested it was so sloppily thought out that it will be easy for the big 3 to carve themselves out lovely profits through loopholes and more mean spirited applications of the regulations.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 2:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
My reading of it suggested it was so sloppily thought out that it will be easy for the big 3 to carve themselves out lovely profits through loopholes and more mean spirited applications of the regulations.
They only needed to stop the bigger firms gobbling up the smaller ones. Competition should take care of the prices.

Last edited by Oink; Jun 5th 2013 at 2:15 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:54 pm
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by Oink
They only needed to stop the bigger firms gobbling up the smaller ones. Competition should take care of the prices.
I'm pretty gobsmacked how Canada is so heavy handed on the consumer when it comes to mobile phone contracts/costs. Way behind Europe IMHO and that's a bitter pill to swallow!

Not sure how they get on south of the border?

Last edited by james.mc; Jun 5th 2013 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by james.mc
I'm pretty gobsmacked how Canada is so heavy handed on the consumer when it comes to mobile phone contracts/costs. Way behind Europe IMHO and that's a bitter pill to swallow!
Same applies to airlines, lawyers, in fact, most things.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

We are just about to move across from Australia in 4wks time and I need a new phone as the one I have currently is rubbish.
Was wondering are the contract-free phones really that expensive in Canada? If they are then maybe worth buying here first before we leave.
I was going to try and avoid a contract this time round and go pay as you go as I have had nothing but bad experiences with contracts (and don't ever use anywhere near the limits on plans I have had).
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:39 pm
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
We are just about to move across from Australia in 4wks time and I need a new phone as the one I have currently is rubbish.
Was wondering are the contract-free phones really that expensive in Canada? If they are then maybe worth buying here first before we leave.
I was going to try and avoid a contract this time round and go pay as you go as I have had nothing but bad experiences with contracts (and don't ever use anywhere near the limits on plans I have had).
They seem pretty expensive from my perspective. I'd have a good google at prices for one type of phone (SIM Free - Unlocked) like an iPhone or Samsun Galaxy and compare like for like in Oz v .ca

You'll have a bit of currency conversion to do, but it could be a worthwhile exercise.

Of course, should your shiny new phone purchased on Oz fail in Canada.... you might have a right old warranty game on your hands. Not that Canada is any great shakes for customer service when to comes to warranty issues.

As for pay ad you go. We are using 7-Eleven Speakeasy. Not a bad option should you be interested.

Last edited by james.mc; Jun 7th 2013 at 12:44 pm.