Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Yet Another UK Media Shock/Horror Immigration Story

Yet Another UK Media Shock/Horror Immigration Story

Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:56 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all
Default Re: Yet Another UK Media Shock/Horror Immigration Story

Originally Posted by bazzz
Seeing as you don't have a job lined up, you wouldn't want people to accuse you of being workshy.
Luckily i will continue writing software specifications for a living for the same company, as they obviously are happy with my language skills.

so what is the difference between a refugee and an immigrant? or did you forget your facts before you started trolling?

Last edited by marclouis; Feb 13th 2008 at 3:58 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:09 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happy_Feet
posted the link early this morning (pre coffee time) when it was too early for opinions

have added my opinion above, its just a typical recycled UK media story on a slow news day, and a disgrace to have as a major front page headline!

personally I think it's great so many people are moving into the UK, they can make up for all of us who are leaving, and anyone who is considering emigrating from the UK can hardly complain about imigrants can they?
Absolutely. I think from what I read from over here, there is a need to differentiate between immigrant and illegals, when it comes to this kind of "reporting". It's two totally different issues. I am perturbed when I read about illegal immigrants working in security in the UK (how the heck can that happen?!). But an immigrant is simply looking for a better life, and most worked hard for it. Just the same as we do when we come to Canada.

Somewhat along the same lines, I often shake my head at the protests about eastern Europeans coming into the UK, while UK residents are buying up properties really cheaply in eastern Europe.

I'm back in the UK in March and April, so guess I can form my own opinion on the situation then!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:11 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm perfectly happy to let illegal immigrants in as they clearly show a high degree of resourcefulness and self-sufficiency. Sounds like they'd be a boon to any country.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

am I missing a point here or what? if they consider any one entering the UK looking to stay for more than a year as an immigrant then this figure would include all refugees, students, work permit holder, HSMP applicants, and family class immigrants. without providing more details on the distribution of these categories its meaningless to comment on the figures.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:33 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marclouis
so what is the difference between a refugee and an immigrant?
I don't think that's a serious question, but in case anyone is not sure here are two links (you "click" on them and it takes you to a new page to read)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...ition&ct=title

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ine%3a+refugee