Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Yet another tax question...

Yet another tax question...

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yet another tax question...

I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything, so thought I'd post in case it's relevant to anyone else.

We send our oldest to a nursery school 2 mornings a week, and we've been told that we claim this back on our tax return, but I'm not sure where to put it.

The receipt we have doesn't have all of the tax-type info that you would get for say university fees, and it looks like we can only claim it as child care expenses if both of us are working. I did see that some people put it in as a charitable donation as the organisation is non-profit.

I hate this tax system.

Any ideas? JonboyE?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another tax question...

Originally Posted by Dashie
I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything, so thought I'd post in case it's relevant to anyone else.

We send our oldest to a nursery school 2 mornings a week, and we've been told that we claim this back on our tax return, but I'm not sure where to put it.

The receipt we have doesn't have all of the tax-type info that you would get for say university fees, and it looks like we can only claim it as child care expenses if both of us are working. I did see that some people put it in as a charitable donation as the organisation is non-profit.

I hate this tax system.

Any ideas? JonboyE?
You can claim it as child care expenses, but only if BOTH of you are working. If thats not the case then the charitable donation route isnt unreasonable... wish Id thought of that back in the day...

For that though the receipt would have to be in the correct charitable format to count.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 22nd 2013 at 1:20 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You can deduct child care expenses if they are incurred so that you can work or attended a post-secondary school. For a couple they are always deducted from the income of the lower earner. If the lower earner has no income then there is nothing you can claim.

A not-for-profit is not the same as a charity. Charities that can give you a receipt that qualifies for a tax credit are listed here http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/.../menu-eng.html

Also, the tax credit is for a charitable donation - effectively a gift. If you get something back for your money - such as childcare - the money is not a gift and so does not qualify for the tax credit.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

That's fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

What about the arts credit - that lists 'developmental activities'?