Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Yet another sad day for England

Yet another sad day for England

Old Jul 7th 2005, 12:19 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Yet another sad day for England

Todays bombs have brought back memories. I grew up in Kent and worked in London years back . I remember all too well the IRA bombings in London, and having to be evacuated from buildings due to bomb scares. I some how saw it as normal back then, when I was in my 20's. What a dark day it is to see it happening all over again, albeit by different terrorists.
My thoughts go out to all who may be involved.
I still count the days until I can leave UK, maybe it is because where I will be going I can shut myself off from the news if I so wish, and the world in general to a point. I will however value those days even more and be grateful for what I have. News like this seems to make worrying about how long the processing times is, insignificant.
I just hope to God, this is not the beginning of a bigger campaign by terrorists.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 1:58 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Yet another sad day for England

It absolutely sucks.
I am so angry.
I have just spent the morning checking my family are OK.
Just what do these people hope to achieve apart from the stirring up of hatred. What can it achieve but to demonstrate or generate evil hatred.

In the name of humanity WHY
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am very happy we live in an out of the way place. So, Regina may not be up on the latest fashions and so Regina may not get the latest movies and may not have the swankiest restaurants -- but on a day like this - its a good place to be!!!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gooding
Todays bombs have brought back memories. I grew up in Kent and worked in London years back . I remember all too well the IRA bombings in London, and having to be evacuated from buildings due to bomb scares. I some how saw it as normal back then, when I was in my 20's. What a dark day it is to see it happening all over again, albeit by different terrorists.
I still count the days until I can leave UK, maybe it is because where I will be going I can shut myself off from the news if I so wish, and the world in general to a point. I will however value those days even more and be grateful for what I have. News like this seems to make worrying about how long the processing times is, insignificant.
I just hope to God, this is not the beginning of a bigger campaign by terrorists.
Yes, yet another very sad day for the UK. Just got back from the carnage in London and may express my sincere condolences to anyone who may have friends or family caught up in the bombing.

The emergency services were extremely well rehearsed and copped courageously admirably under extreme circumstances.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:01 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I was on Vancouver island last week with my daughter. Just the two of us for a week at our house to celebrate her finishing GcsE's. We never listened to the news, and only picked up messages on internet. We flew up to the island fromm the city, it was a stunning flight up, and she was gobsmacked. We walked daily a few yards to "our beach" and watched the eagles soaring overhead, boats on the water , and windsurfers enjoying the waves. We had a wonderful time just talking about the past few years , her time at school and our long wait for PR.
I took her because I thought she was having second thoughts about leaving friends etc in UK. i was worried she would change her mind.
How wrong was I. She loved our trip, every minute, and now just keeps saying "when we go" not "if we go"
It is our little haven, life is slower, and everyone seems to enjoy life. We have had no end of help and support from neighbours and people we meet daily, and we have not even got PR yet. I love the place and miss it every time i return to UK.

We came home Tuesday to nose to tail traffic for 3 hours home from airport, it was raining yet again. I went shopping the next day and did not get one Good day how are you? or Have a nice day? I just got miserable sullen faces and grunts. We were pushed and shoved around the town and robbed of £1.20 for a couple of hours parking whilst I did the shopping.

My daughter said " I want to go back home, Vancouver Island home that is!"
i was so pleased and so happy. She too can see what we see in the place and the people, and opportunities she will get there not here.

Then today this happened and made us all wish we could leave tomorrow.
I did not need any more reasons to leave but this is definatley another one to add.

So please anyone at CHC that may read this, We are ready willing and able please spead it all up. My bags are packed!

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Yes, I am very happy we live in an out of the way place. So, Regina may not be up on the latest fashions and so Regina may not get the latest movies and may not have the swankiest restaurants -- but on a day like this - its a good place to be!!!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:06 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

I was on Vancouver island last week with my daughter. Just the two of us for a week at our house to celebrate her finishing GcsE's. We never listened to the news, and only picked up messages on internet. We flew up to the island fromm the city, it was a stunning flight up, and she was gobsmacked. We walked daily a few yards to "our beach" and watched the eagles soaring overhead, boats on the water , and windsurfers enjoying the waves. We had a wonderful time just talking about the past few years , her time at school and our long wait for PR.
I took her because I thought she was having second thoughts about leaving friends etc in UK. i was worried she would change her mind.
How wrong was I. She loved our trip, every minute, and now just keeps saying "when we go" not "if we go"
It is our little haven, life is slower, and everyone seems to enjoy life. We have had no end of help and support from neighbours and people we meet daily, and we have not even got PR yet. I love the place and miss it every time i return to UK.

We came home Tuesday to nose to tail traffic for 3 hours home from airport, it was raining yet again. I went shopping the next day and did not get one Good day how are you? or Have a nice day? I just got miserable sullen faces and grunts. We were pushed and shoved around the town and robbed of £1.20 for a couple of hours parking whilst I did the shopping.

i was so pleased and so happy. She too can see what we see in the place and the people, and opportunities she will get there not here.

Then today this happened and made us all wish we could leave tomorrow.
I did not need any more reasons to leave but this is definatley another one to add.

So please anyone at CHC that may read this, We are ready willing and able please spead it all up. My bags are packed!
I am rapidly coming to the decision to just go. Not wait for PR and get the student visas we need.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=gooding]I was on Vancouver island last week with my daughter. Just the two of us for a week at our house to celebrate her finishing GcsE's. We never listened to the news, and only picked up messages on internet. We flew up to the island fromm the city, it was a stunning flight up, and she was gobsmacked. We walked daily a few yards to "our beach" and watched the eagles soaring overhead, boats on the water , and windsurfers enjoying the waves. We had a wonderful time just talking about the past few years , her time at school and our long wait for PR.

What a wonderful message. I can remember when you first started posting about your decision to move to the island anddiscussing your daughter and her anxiety about moving. It's great to see how much she has changed and appreciates the "finer" things in life.

Your description of the island brought tears to my eyes! Makes me appreciate living here more every day!

Hope you and your family are able to move here permanently very soon!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:18 pm
Here and happy at last

I too applied for a student visa, and got accepted. However this is a life changing decision that effects 5 of us. Student visa would not guarantee we could stay forever. we want to go forever no coming back.
A few months ago we said all or nothing! for the sake or may daughter who is at a difficult stage in schooling ( A levels in September or High school in Canada???) We had to all make a decision on long term future.
if it was just me I'd go tomorrow.
We do have a nice house cars, jobs, life, equity etc here in UK, Some think we are mad to want to go. If we were to give this up for two years we could not come back to same standard of living, and i would be heartbroken to have to leave Canada to come back here. ( If it did happen)
I will not believe we can go until I have visas in my hand.
We will just continue our wait and just hope it all happens soon.

Originally Posted by Crispie
I am rapidly coming to the decision to just go. Not wait for PR and get the student visas we need.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:36 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

I too applied for a student visa, and got accepted. However this is a life changing decision that effects 5 of us. Student visa would not guarantee we could stay forever. we want to go forever no coming back.
A few months ago we said all or nothing! for the sake or may daughter who is at a difficult stage in schooling ( A levels in September or High school in Canada???) We had to all make a decision on long term future.
if it was just me I'd go tomorrow.
We do have a nice house cars, jobs, life, equity etc here in UK, Some think we are mad to want to go. If we were to give this up for two years we could not come back to same standard of living, and i would be heartbroken to have to leave Canada to come back here. ( If it did happen)
I will not believe we can go until I have visas in my hand.
We will just continue our wait and just hope it all happens soon.
Similar situation but we beat your 5 by 1!
Not a light decision and in reality waiting for PR is the likelyhood. However with our eldest starting Uni in Canada in September the split is starting already and the high school thing is important for our 16 year old too.
It would just take the house to sell then the scales will tip the balance and we will dodge the bombs and queue up at the CHC!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:42 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Originally Posted by willmore
What a wonderful message. I can remember when you first started posting about your decision to move to the island anddiscussing your daughter and her anxiety about moving. It's great to see how much she has changed and appreciates the "finer" things in life.

Your description of the island brought tears to my eyes! Makes me appreciate living here more every day!

Hope you and your family are able to move here permanently very soon!
It's a spiritual connection with certain places don't you think Willmore.
Looks like the gooding family have got it!
The heart has immigrated already
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:58 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I started work the day before 9/11 and I wanted to leave Canada (too close to the US) as I felt the family would be safer in the UK...

No doubt you have been checking the websites for the news in London. Oddly enough the most comprehensive is at Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_...ondon_bombings
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Crispie
It's a spiritual connection with certain places don't you think Willmore.
Looks like the gooding family have got it!
The heart has immigrated already

Well said! It certainly is a "spiritual connection" for me. No matter how far I roam from the west coast, we will always call it home and return here!

The gooding family certainly have got it and I'm so pleased for them, and others who have caught the "spirit"!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:26 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Originally Posted by willmore
Well said! It certainly is a "spiritual connection" for me. No matter how far I roam from the west coast, we will always call it home and return here!

The gooding family certainly have got it and I'm so pleased for them, and others who have caught the "spirit"!
Good to talk about a positive spirit when the thread started on the dark side.

Good God ..I'm turning into George Lucas
Where's my beard comb!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

I was just getting the breakfast out and doing paperwork around 5am this morning when I thought to sit down and watch the news as I never have any company at that time! You're right, it DOES bring back some awful memories. you know, evacuating school/work every term due to a bomb alert, not getting work on time, having your friends car boot blown open in central London even though it only broke down and he told a policeman...etc etc.

CNN wasn't a good channel to watch but once the crews came down for breakfast they seemed happy to watch that but it wasn't even commented on so I guess they just didn't care. It was interesting that the perception of americans on CNN I felt was just rediculous, making assumptions and guesses based on 9/11 and not a lifetime of IRA activity (which got conveniently forgotton/unmentioned). Not a good day but at least I've heard from family and they're all OK.

Wondered why I like Swift Current ...nothing happens here!
Old Jul 8th 2005, 7:15 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting interview on radio 4 this morning with the US Ambassador to London.

Asked by the interviewer what people should do he said " go about your business as usual " and basically dont let the buggers grind you down or disrupt normal life at all.

Asked what he has advised US citizens to do he said " we have advised US citizens NOT to visit London at this time ". The interviewer just said hmmmm!

Well I think that says it all doesn't it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.