Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wrong side of 50

Wrong side of 50

Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wrong side of 50

Originally Posted by Patsy
Im 46, its not my burning desire to teach, but it does help with the part of getting in, in the first place
I thought Canada had a surplus of teachers and that, once in, it was hard to find work. Do you teach maths or physics or some other sought after subject?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
to me life is not about money once you have your minimum needs met and certainly at 54 or whatever I would not dismiss my dreams on the grounds of a few extra dollars on my pension

So are you prepared to disclose your age? It would add some value to your post.
yes no prob Im 48 going on 18

and yes I have thrown caution to the wind as we just packed our bags and came with no jobs and no ideas just as visitors loved it and decided to stay for life!!so many might think we are totally mad

BUT I have absolutrly no regrets what ever happens at the end of the day I can say I had the most fabulous 18 months 0f my life living my dream in Canada

Had meds yesterday so absolutly everything crossed that we are at the finsihing line

could have spent the rest of my life thinking ohh should we shouldnt we

ekk its a all a risk what if ......

Anything in life that you want badly is a risk

not knocking the cautious its just not the way I live or have ever lived

life is right out there get out and grab it with both hands while you still can

I simlpy dont worry about tommorow as it doesnt achieve anything

not saying the immigration process isnt stressful though it most certainly is

good luck to all lifes adventurers

Last edited by chumley; Feb 21st 2009 at 8:13 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im 46, its not my burning desire to teach, but it does help with the part of getting in, in the first place
Fair enough, if true.

Can you sell yourself as "college or vocational instructor" or "university professor"? Because if not, regular school teachers are not on THE LIST.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 21st 2009 at 8:17 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Co-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud of

I am loving the experience, but I would agree with the previous postings, it is not easy to find employment, I am unable to register with a doctor and shovelling snow after heavy falls is no fun.
I didn't know you could not register with a doctor because of age moggiemiss. or is their another reason here....I am 52??
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Thanks for your replies.
1.we both have jobs, my income is good, i'm a teacher, his is ridiculously low!
Both jobs are secure,
2 His may not be secure within the organisation he is in now, but he reckons there will always be work in this field. People retire from, say the police,and get taken on in his place.
3. We have good accommodation, not a brilliant area, but not bad either despite media coverage on Liverpool, good big house, infact now that the kids are grown,if we dont go off somewhere, we will probably downsize.
4. UK? Take it or leave it, don't love it, don't hate it, always been unsettled though since visiting Canada
and the last point...he is 54
Just found this thread - age is about how you feel. I'm 52 my OH is 61, we are both in education here in the UK, but we are looking for a change. I don't agree that you have to stick with the job you have - 30 years in teaching and I'm ready for a change and a challenge, after all I'm not past it!!
As for the pension bit, if you can defer it as late as you can then do becuase it isn't index linked. Do remember that UK pension (teachers) is indexed linked.
Who said anything about returning to the UK....once you've sold up and moved lock, stock and barrel what is the point of returning. The adventure continues
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by triumphguy
I think Auld Yin has a point.

At 50 you've got 15 years left to save for retirment.
15 years worth of CPP will leave you begging in retirement.
Your British pension will have been frozen and will not be indexed to inflation.
Even max CPP is not enough to retire on for anyone.

You will be allowed to make contributions to your British pension to make up years missed and as Chumley said it won't be frozen until you start to collect it.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:04 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think the chances are of him seeking employment in Autism within Canada, or do you think like him and think "Dont bother, too old".
He doesn't have formal qualifications (it's me who has the points) but he has worked in Adult services and Children services in Autism for years and is very very good at it. It is, as far as im concerned a vocation rather than a job. I'd really appreciate your honest comments.
Slim to none, to be very honest. You must have formal qualifications to work with children in any province in Canada. Adult care is less regulated, but most employers will still ask for a diploma/bit of paper at minimum.

Last edited by dingbat; Feb 22nd 2009 at 3:07 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:41 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
I seem to have the opposite view to most on this thread each to their own etc

to me life is not about money once you have your minimum needs met
and certainly at 54 or whatever I would not dismiss my dreams on the grounds of a few extra dollars on my pension

we dont know whats around the corner
I certainly wont be depriving myself of anything on account of perhaps living to pension age and getting my money back

Ill worry about retirement income when I retire and not until then

I live for today every day and im a glass half full and all that

When Im old and doddery I would far sooner have had a wonderful life of memories, adventures and dreams met than a fat pension!!
could not agree more chumley; you sound like the kind of person i will be at pensionable age.....growing old very disgracefully.......

my dad saved for that rainy day and dropped down dead at 63.....so did my mother-in-law at 63; both within three weeks of each other.....my dad to a heart attack and my MIL to cancer.....i'll be 63 in 17years!!!!!!!!.....

patsy.....you know what i said to you.....xxxxx
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Tikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant future

I've not long arrived and I've turned 60 so no, wrong side of 50 is nothing to worry about. My parents came here at 59 and rented until they bought a house at 79 years old. Yes they got a mortage at 79.
I think the age limit has now been reduced to 75.

Age discrimination in Canada is nowhere near as prevalent as in the UK.

Personally I am loving it. I am living off my UK private pension and doing volunteer work with an animal rescue centre (a smaller version of Battersea) and am planning to apply to the probation service again in a volunteer position.
Obviously there are ups and downs. Shovelling snow being one of them. Also things like car insurance is very expensive. Your no claims bonus means nothing here.
I find people are gentler than in the UK. Politeness is everywhere and while the driving culture is different driving is nothing like in London UK,
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Tikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant future

Just to finish my thoughts. I would certainly suggest you come out for a long vacation to check out the 'grass is greener on the other side' syndrome. Perhaps your hubby could do an NVQ level 3 or 4 so he has some qualifications in his field. It won't be recognized here but it will show he has the ability to do the work and if you do come out to stay bring his portfolio with him.

I don't regret my move and I know its not for everyone but do you really want to be sitting by the fire when you are 70 wondering what you have missed.

Food for thought.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Co-Writer
I didn't know you could not register with a doctor because of age moggiemiss. or is their another reason here....I am 52??
It's not that you can't register with a doctor it's just that they're in short supply. In England GP's can be instructed to take you on by the health authority or someother medical dept. Here if a GP's list is full then he can't take you nor can be instructed so lots of people haven't got one. There are however drop-in clinics which are very good. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:25 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a scenario for you....

If you had been unsure over the years that you wanted to live in canada but your wife really really wanted to go and you came to a crossroads in your life were you think, 'well actually, it may be an adventure' would you think 'but it's too late now, i'm too old'?????

OH thinks he is too old to uproot and live in canada and regardless of the current job situation, he says he is too old now anyway to be taken on by new employers. That is his only reason for not going otherwise he would give it a go.
Don't take this the wrong way Patsy, but you've been on BE for 4 years considering moving out to Canada, do you think there is a chance that your OH doesn't actually want to move and is just finding excuses?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

Confirming what Tikvah said, it is to do with a shortage of doctors and not to do with age. Certainly there are walk-in clinics so you can always receive medical attention.

In TBay, they have just announced that they are going to open a Nurse Practitioner Clinic to help alleviate the shortage of doctors - it is the first, but may pave the way for more.

I am also a cautious person and I think if you are cautious, you need to assess all risks carefully and then consider how you can manage those risk factors. In my case, I know that if I don't decide to stay forever in Canada, I could return - there is a financial cost but I could live with the consequences and balance it against a richness of experience.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:28 pm
Arrived Calgary 28 Jan 09

thebakers4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

As far as we are concerned age is no barrier! We have just taken the plunge (3 weeks ago tomorrow) and moved to Calgary, I'm 36 and my OH is 54 (and we have 2 young kids)

My OH has travelled the world with the Army and done varied jobs since leaving nearly 14 years ago and loves all things new, we are here on a TWP on the strength of a job I start next week. OH had a job offer last week and is now awaiting an LMO so he can get a TWP too as he wasn't allowed a SOWP as my job was in the wrong catergory

Just wanted to show it can be done no matter what the age, and just wanted to confirm what someone else has said, the UK pension freezes at 60/65 whenever you are eligible to take it not from now so all you lose is the £1.50(ish?) per year increase that the government gives you every April from retirement age.

I also agree that you need to do your homework on this first though, its a very exciting time planning a new life in a new Country but make sure you check out the job situation in the type of area you both work in to make sure you'll both be able to get a job

Hope this helps you just a little towards your decision, on a parting note, our attitude towards our move is we'd like to make it a permanent move but if it goes wrong or we can't settle (it feels like home here already though) then whats the worst that can happen - you move back to the UK

Good Luck whatever you decide
Jan

Thanks for your replies.
1.we both have jobs, my income is good, i'm a teacher, his is ridiculously low!
Both jobs are secure,
2 His may not be secure within the organisation he is in now, but he reckons there will always be work in this field. People retire from, say the police,and get taken on in his place.
3. We have good accommodation, not a brilliant area, but not bad either despite media coverage on Liverpool, good big house, infact now that the kids are grown,if we dont go off somewhere, we will probably downsize.
4. UK? Take it or leave it, don't love it, don't hate it, always been unsettled though since visiting Canada
and the last point...he is 54
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
and yes I have thrown caution to the wind as we just packed our bags and came with no jobs and no ideas just as visitors loved it and decided to stay for life!!so many might think we are totally mad
So can we assume that you are illegally in Canada then?

If so, not exactly great for your advice.

If I was the OP, I would consider whether the older one needs to work. If so, then I would choose where I lived very carefully - depending upon how much income was required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.