Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Writing a Canadian Resume - IMPORTANT!

Wikiposts

Writing a Canadian Resume - IMPORTANT!

Old Dec 17th 2007, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future
Default Writing a Canadian Resume - IMPORTANT!

Hi All,

I just wanted to pass on some observations, as almost all the UK resumes I see need lots of work. Resumes in Canada are different

JudyInCalgary pointed out that there is lots of info on the WIKI regarding this.

This is a crucial part of the job finding process. Make sure you get it right to give yourself the best chance. I have shown resumes to colleagues and they wont even look at them as it is so different. It is worth spending time on it. The Wiki is awesome for tips.

Bear in Mind things like date of birth, marital status, photos, NI number, are all not allowed on Resumes here. Resumes are shorter as well.

Also, stay away from british terminology. Spell things out and dont use UK abreviations.

What i have noticed is that the job market is not as candidate driven as the UK and you tend to go into a pile of resumes, so make sure yours looks good to save someone throwing it away for not being able to understand it or its too long, or it has a poor lay out

I hope this helps

John
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:08 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Writing a Canadian Resume - IMPORTANT!

Budda

Although the wiki is fantastic and there is loads of info on there, what woud really help is to see samples of resumes

Any chnce budda of pasting some examples on here for new BE members, i have had OH re-done thanks to a fantastic BE member, but ours was more for the uk market than the canadian market - just an idea
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Good call,

let me try and dig one out.

Cheers

John
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budda
Hi All,

I just wanted to pass on some observations, as almost all the UK resumes I see need lots of work. Resumes in Canada are different

JudyInCalgary pointed out that there is lots of info on the WIKI regarding this.

This is a crucial part of the job finding process. Make sure you get it right to give yourself the best chance. I have shown resumes to colleagues and they wont even look at them as it is so different. It is worth spending time on it. The Wiki is awesome for tips.

Bear in Mind things like date of birth, marital status, photos, NI number, are all not allowed on Resumes here. Resumes are shorter as well.

Also, stay away from british terminology. Spell things out and dont use UK abreviations.

What i have noticed is that the job market is not as candidate driven as the UK and you tend to go into a pile of resumes, so make sure yours looks good to save someone throwing it away for not being able to understand it or its too long, or it has a poor lay out

I hope this helps

John
Theses shouldnt be on a UK resume either! A Canadian style resume would be acceptable in the UK so theres no need to have 2 styles once you have an outline sorted out.

Also, You should customise your resume for each job apply for. Tweak it here and there to fit their advert and job description. Its different if you are cold calling and that would show in your covering letter.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Yeah,

Totally agree! The cardinal sin is to put a generic coverletter or at the top the wrong desired job title etc

I said it is not allowed in Canada because even though it is not allowed on a UK resume, people dont realise that. If someone has been in a job for 5 years then they may not have picked up on that. Anyways dont put it.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 12:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah,

Totally agree! The cardinal sin is to put a generic coverletter or at the top the wrong desired job title etc

I said it is not allowed in Canada because even though it is not allowed on a UK resume, people dont realise that. If someone has been in a job for 5 years then they may not have picked up on that. Anyways dont put it.
Not that I would do it, but would an employer really think "hmm, this candidate is perfect in every way, oh hold on the D.O.B is on the resume, can't employ them, lets interview this other guy who isn't as good instead"?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not that I would do it, but would an employer really think "hmm, this candidate is perfect in every way, oh hold on the D.O.B is on the resume, can't employ them, lets interview this other guy who isn't as good instead"?
More likely "hmm, this candidate is perfect in every way, oh hold on the D.O.B is on the resume, she's of childbearing age/he's going to retire in 10yrs (whatever), lets interview this other guy who isn't as good instead"
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
she's of childbearing age/he's going to retire in 10yrs (whatever)
All the better to add it if you are neither of those things
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
More likely "hmm, this candidate is perfect in every way, oh hold on the D.O.B is on the resume, she's of childbearing age/he's going to retire in 10yrs (whatever), lets interview this other guy who isn't as good instead"
Yeah, but if you took your degree in 1980 or started work in 1970, those are just as much of a giveaway that you're no spring chicken .
Old Dec 17th 2007, 4:31 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Cough, cough.

The Wiki article on Resumes includes a heading entitled, "Sample Resumes."

See:

Sample Resumes.

I don't know how else to put this:

PLEASE READ THE WIKIS !

Read them. Then read them again. When you've done that, read them again.

And, if you can think of a way to make the Wikis clearer, by all means go for it. I've given it my best shot.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

altalink will become famous soon enough

Fine response Judy ... brightened up a cold wet tuesday morning ...

Old Dec 18th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
[ And, if you can think of a way to make the Wikis clearer, by all means go for it. I've given it my best shot.
Judy the Wikis are fine, more than fine, indeed a fine body of work, a veritable canon of information.

Its just people, we arent perfect- even me and can't remember all of that useful stuff you have put in there. So I say, not only read them again, and again, but make some notes or print them off. Then have them by you when you do the resume. Things will still be forgotten but your hardwork makes every several steps further forwards than before.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Well said Judy,

If you put D.O.B on your resume it forms certain pre-conceptions, as BIIIIIIINK said.

Also, as a recruiter it would surprise what factors get you rejected. As i said there is more competition for jobs here and if somone is going through 30 resumes these things do count, trust me
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

The koala bear is loose!!

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Cough, cough.

The Wiki article on Resumes includes a heading entitled, "Sample Resumes."

See:

Sample Resumes.

I don't know how else to put this:

PLEASE READ THE WIKIS !

Read them. Then read them again. When you've done that, read them again.

And, if you can think of a way to make the Wikis clearer, by all means go for it. I've given it my best shot.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:46 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in Mind things like date of birth, marital status, photos, NI number, are all not allowed on Resumes here.
It is not that this information is not allowed, you can put whatever you want on a resume. However it is common practice in North America not to include them. It is unusual to include a photograph and may be off putting to a potential employer. Social Insurance number is unnecessary, and is only required for payroll if hired.

An employer can ask questions, however they cannot base a hiring decision or preference purely on gender, religion, age, marital status or disability, ethnicity etc.

The only exception is where the job has specific requirements, such as heavy lifting or a specific sensitivity. A question such as 'is there anything that would stop you being able to perform this job function' is more common. If the candidate is hired and it is later determined they misled the employer, this is just cause for dismissal without notice.

Just cause extends to any misleading information given in securing employment. Discrimination can arise if a bias is proven.

Each province has its own Employment Standards as well as articles in the Charter of Rights.

This is not legal advice, consult the appropriate Employment Standards or consult a legal adviser.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Dec 18th 2007 at 3:48 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.