Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would love any info on Kingston, Ontario

Would love any info on Kingston, Ontario

Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would love any info on Kingston, Ontario

Originally Posted by Melsa
Hi I'm interested in living in Kingston too. I'm a nurse and my partner is a vehicle mechanic, and we have 3 daughters age 15,13 and 4. Can anyone recommend any nice towns/villages near to Kingston with good schools, recreational facilities, shopping malls and good employment opportunities.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Melsa
http://www.cityofkingston.ca/index.asp
http://www.town.greaternapanee.on.ca...activepage.asp

are a couple of links that may help. As a nurse you will have no problem finding work, Kingston General Hospital, Hotel Dieu in Kingston, or Lennox and Addington hospital near Napanee. Lot of dealerships in Kingston for your hubby!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Melsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shelley748
http://www.cityofkingston.ca/index.asp
http://www.town.greaternapanee.on.ca...activepage.asp

are a couple of links that may help. As a nurse you will have no problem finding work, Kingston General Hospital, Hotel Dieu in Kingston, or Lennox and Addington hospital near Napanee. Lot of dealerships in Kingston for your hubby!
Hi Shelley, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for the information. I will have a look at the websites. Do you enjoy living in Kingston?

Melsa
Old Aug 27th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shelley, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for the information. I will have a look at the websites. Do you enjoy living in Kingston?

Melsa
Hi Melsa

I live just outside of Kingston -north east about 45 minutes in the countryside! So I only go to Kingston for my job and if I want to visit any big box shopping stores of which there are plenty in Kingston. Housing is more expensive there as are the property taxes, plenty of schools, nice eateries, 3 hours by car to Toronto, 2 hours to Ottawa, good Via Rail connection to Montreal and Toronto/Ottawa. I chose to live out a bit because Kingston is expanding and there are a lot of subdivisions(estates) and I came from a subdivision in the UK so wanted space around me.

If you go north of Kingston you can live in Harrowsmith, Sydenham, Inverary, Glen Burnie-all nice area's a little further out -depends what you want.

I like it much better here than when we lived near Ottawa, slightly warmer climate, nice to be by the water (St lawrence and Lake Ontario)- yep I would say its a very nice place to live!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Hi Melsa

I live just outside of Kingston -north east about 45 minutes in the countryside! So I only go to Kingston for my job and if I want to visit any big box shopping stores of which there are plenty in Kingston. Housing is more expensive there as are the property taxes, plenty of schools, nice eateries, 3 hours by car to Toronto, 2 hours to Ottawa, good Via Rail connection to Montreal and Toronto/Ottawa. I chose to live out a bit because Kingston is expanding and there are a lot of subdivisions(estates) and I came from a subdivision in the UK so wanted space around me.

If you go north of Kingston you can live in Harrowsmith, Sydenham, Inverary, Glen Burnie-all nice area's a little further out -depends what you want.

I like it much better here than when we lived near Ottawa, slightly warmer climate, nice to be by the water (St lawrence and Lake Ontario)- yep I would say its a very nice place to live!
Hi Shelley, what are the winters like and when do they generally start/finish? We want to move out when the thick of winter has gone to make the move a little easier.

Melsa
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Shelley, what are the winters like and when do they generally start/finish? We want to move out when the thick of winter has gone to make the move a little easier.

Melsa
Well the snow can start in November, depends -one year we didn't get any snow until Dec 26th!! The really cold months are January and February, it goes down to -30C's and maybe more with "wind chill", as it "warms up" (LOL) there is more snow, so March and April we tend to get big snow storms.

We moved May 15th 2002 from UK and its quite cool compared to the UK but warmer here than it had been if that makes sense!!!

Be happy to stay in touch-feel free to PM me and I will give you my private email address!

Last edited by shelley748; Aug 28th 2011 at 12:49 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Well the snow can start in November, depends -one year we didn't get any snow until Dec 26th!! The really cold months are January and February, it goes down to -30C's and maybe more with "wind chill", as it "warms up" (LOL) there is more snow, so March and April we tend to get big snow storms.

We moved May 15th 2002 from UK and its quite cool compared to the UK but warmer here than it had been if that makes sense!!!

Be happy to stay in touch-feel free to PM me and I will give you my private email address!

Thank you Shelley, I will definately stay in touch.

Melsa
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Shelley, I will definately stay in touch.

Melsa
no problem and good luck!!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

dudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Been to Truro, live in Ottawa, love Kingston. Out of the three, Kingston wins, no competition. Good luck.

Mind you, there are a lot of students, military people, retirees and ex-convicts. Lovely town, great history, on the water. Sail boats. SIGH!!!
pah, those military people, cant stick them!!!!