Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would I have a better life in Canada

Would I have a better life in Canada

Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I have a better life in Canada

Originally Posted by magnumpi
What if you have a $250,000 deposit? And buy a $350,000 house?
I wish
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:56 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
I wish
No two mortgages are alike then, agreed?

At a guess i would say Mine is less than yours. And could be less than my car insurance, but I chose to pay it faster, so it ain't :@(
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

Yes, if you don't have children the house takes the bank and sells it.

I would like a job in Finance as that is what I studied. As I don't have Canadian work experience I would be willing to work as a teller to start with in a bank.

Otherwise I would like to work for an airline (I speak English, French, some German and some Spanish). I worked as a ground hostess for an airline when I lived in Ireland and loved it!

Or I was thinking of training to be a teacher (French immersion as I have fluent French or Montessori and opening my own school afterwards) and going back to university in Canada to get the teacher training qualification. I already have a BA degree.

What do you think of my ideas?

Last edited by louisemc; Apr 30th 2013 at 2:59 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:00 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto should be big on your list then. It's the financial capital of Canada.

http://www.investtoronto.ca/InvestAs...fact-sheet.pdf

Last edited by magnumpi; Apr 30th 2013 at 3:03 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisemc
Switzerland is no longer the El Dorado it used to be. It used to be a rich banking country. Now there is 10 per cent unemployment in the Geneva area where I live. Salaries have been falling as the French have been working for lower wages in Switzerland and live just over the border. I pay half my wages (which are considered good) for a small 2 bedroom flat that I have a 100 year mortgage on and I drive a beat up old car. I don't live well here despite having good wages.

I work as an editor and proof reader. But I have a degree in accouting and French and postgraduate studies in management.
Here you go - job in Halifax as a copy editor for a magazine, $50-60k:

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/job...25164&fprov=12

Flight attendants

Flight attendant job in Halifax

Bank Teller

I understand that you are looking at taking any job you can get (and kudos to you) and need to know if initially you could live on a minimum wage job if you don't have a mortgage.

If you were going to move to BC then I would think you may struggle a bit - house prices are high (particularly Vancouver). The East coast will be far cheaper for housing but other costs can be high there.

It would really depend on how long it may take you to find a reasonably paid job - and again, where you live will reflect on the number of jobs there are available to you. You can see what jobs are available here: Working in Canada

If you take a look at this website, it may give you an idea of comparative costs. http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...a&city=Halifax

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 30th 2013 at 3:05 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:01 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if you don't have children the house takes the bank and sells it.

I would like a job in Finance as that is what I studied. As I don't have Canadian work experience I would be willing to work as a teller to start with in a bank.

Otherwise I would like to work for an airline (I speak English, French, some German and some Spanish). I worked as a ground hostess for an airline when I lived in Ireland and loved it!

Or I was thinking of training to be a teacher (French immersion as I have fluent French or Montessori and opening my own school afterwards) and going back to university in Canada to get the teacher training qualification. I already have a BA degree.

What do you think of my ideas?
And on that note, as they say on Dragon's Den....I'm out.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

Thanks for that advice.

I am lucky as I have lots of Canadian friends who lived in Canada before who I can stay with.

I have friends in Salisbury, Toronto, Vancouver, Kamloops and Montreal. I will pay them rent until I find my own place.

I have been to Toronto and really did not like it! I loved Halifax! Thought it was beautiful!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Siouxie,

Thanks so much for all that information. It is useful to me!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that advice.

I am lucky as I have lots of Canadian friends who lived in Canada before who I can stay with.

I have friends in Salisbury, Toronto, Vancouver, Kamloops and Montreal. I will pay them rent until I find my own place.

I have been to Toronto and really did not like it! I loved Halifax! Thought it was beautiful!
Isn't Salisbury in Rhodesia rather than Canada?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
New Brunswick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury,_New_Brunswick

http://www.salisburynb.ca/

Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Siouxie!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. I think I'd try Africa.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:13 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was born in Salisbury.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JamesM
I was born in Salisbury.
UK?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
UK?
Rhodesia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.