Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

worth taking electricals?

worth taking electricals?

Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

vash2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default worth taking electricals?

Hi , as we are packing, I was wondering if it is at all worth it to take electrical items across, some I am hesitant to sell, as I assume it may be expensive to repurchase in Canada(eg Wii sports for my kids,) .
I know the sockets are different but just wondering what everyone else did?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice
Default Re: worth taking electricals?

Hope this helps
In the uk voltager is 230-240 at 50 hertz
canada is 120-260 at 60 hertz (residential/domestic) if you want to run a small appliance then you will need a inverter.

what you may find is a hair dryer will run slower in canada then in the uk.

anything big like a wash machine or microwave is best to get out there.

All the best
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

vash2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey thanks guys for theprompt reponse.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:09 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Vash...I don't know but...I'm packing lots of electricals anyway! I thought that wiis are OK, I know nintendos are. With lots of things like the veggie steamer, and a host of electric gadgets, I couldn't sell them so I may as well pack them and replace them when they crater, using a voltage plug thingy. I am not taking things with a motor or heating element, such as the electric kettle or fan, as it seem to be those that won't be happy. Someone on here gave me the advice that 'if it isn't nailed down take it with you' and I appear to be following their words to the letter. Best of luck.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a lot of garage tools as I like to restore cars, or at least make them look less crap than when I bought them, lol.

I have just bought a 240V petrol generator (brand new very good deal), which I can run my UK tools from. Not such a crazy idea considering petrol is cheaper over there

Always wanted one for the apocalypse anyway, so we're good to go

Last edited by Dave n Ailsa; Jun 4th 2012 at 8:55 am. Reason: Spelling fail
Old Jun 4th 2012, 9:42 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Dave n Ailsa, OH is taking all his garage tools, as following another thread on here, we are going to get an electrician to install a 240v line in the garage.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:26 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

OP...sell the lot, no point bringing stuff over. Between Lowes, Home Depot and Crappy tire, there is always crazy deals every week

For example this past weekend, a Ryobi 18v drill and impact driver was selling for $25 after coupon use
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:34 pm
Pictou County Superstarā„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Consider this:

Any item with an electrical motor installed is potentially a fire hazard (or prone to components or wires burning out due to over-heating), when run on a voltage and frequency it was not designed for.

For example, with an electric drill which is designed to operate on 240v at 50hz, if it is running from 110v/60Hz, the following changes will occur:
  • It will draw double the amps
  • The motor will be powered on 60 positive alternations, instead of 50

The problem with it drawing double amps means more heat will generate caused by the resistance/gauge of the wire used in the motor windings and any of the original wires that connect the drill to the power supply.

The change in frequency will make the motor run more quickly, by about 20%, which again will put more heat stress on the wiring.

V/hz ratio should also be considered. Again, with the example drill rated at 240/50hz, its v/hz rating is 4.8v/hz. Ideally this number should be matched exactly when running the motor on a different voltage and a different frequency.

110/60hz= 1.84v/hz
240/60hz= 4v/hz

Ideally the v/hz ratio should match (original specification vs 110v modification) but those calculations of 1.84v/hz and 4v/hz do not match 4.8v/hz. If the ratio is lower than the original then there could be loss of torque, if it is higher than the original specification then more heating will occur.

So, theory aside, question if it's worth taking the risk?

Even if you use an inverter (which is a good idea, to bring a 12v dc -> 240v 50hz inverter with you, rated with sufficient power to drive your tool) there is a chance that, if it is a 'modified sine wave' inverter, it could damage any sensitive equipment or components you connect to it.

But as a solution (which is not very portable), a 110v/60hz battery charger connected to a deep cycle 12v battery connected to a 240v/50hz inverter could allow your UK tools to run properly. Also, having a fully charged deep cycle battery lying around could make you a very happy camper in the event of a power outage.

Last edited by Greenhill; Jun 4th 2012 at 1:38 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:36 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

you can pick up a Canadian Wii with sports for less than $100..go for a 2nd hand one and then its more like $50.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 4:23 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes Dave n Ailsa, OH is taking all his garage tools, as following another thread on here, we are going to get an electrician to install a 240v line in the garage.
That was me! I think I also said "if it's not nailed down - bring it". We have 220-240 volts in our grarage. I have put the appropriate 30 amp plug on a heavy duty 4 way UK plug adaptor and I can run all my power tools, jet washer etc from it. I was very pleasantly surprised how many UK electrical items have worked fine in Canada. We also use a few voltage converters for some things - like my wife's hair dryer and some kitchen items. The replacement cost of smething like a food processor alone makes the voltage converter worthwhile. As things wear out we will, of course, replace them with 110v Canadian versions, but why go to the HUGE expense of replacing things when you don't need to?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 4:28 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you are bringing a container, bring it anyway, all those $100 here and there add up fast. If not, read the wiki article on compatibility.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compat...f_Goods-Canada
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Should...rical_goods%3F
Old Jun 4th 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

I bought everything other than white goods. There's four categories to think of:

1. stuff that's dual voltage (e.g. most computer kit and peripherals). All you need for these are plug convertors or a new power lead (with a Canadian plug on it of course).

2. stuff that's dual hertz but only works at 230V (it'll say something like 230v 50/60hz on the back). For these a step-up transformer is needed.

3. stuff that's 230V 50Hz. This may or may not work properly using a step-up transformer. Things with AC electric motors will run quicker which may put them in danger of burn-out and things that rely on the hz for timing (e.g. older electric clocks, some ice cream makers, etc) will just not work correctly as they'll think time is running faster than it actually is.

4. not exactly a separate category but stuff that runs on DC and has a separate external transformer. Apply 1-3 or, alternatively, chuck the transformer and buy a new one locally.

Whatever you do though, buy your step-up transformers and plug convertors in bulk, they're way cheaper that way. E.g.

http://www.voltageconverters.com/

On point 3, I've been running my beans to cup high end espresso coffee maker which says it's 230V 50Hz only quite happily for nearly 2 years on a step-up transformer. No sign so far of it exploding killing hundreds.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 5:28 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

On point 3, I've been running my beans to cup high end espresso coffee maker which says it's 230V 50Hz only quite happily for nearly 2 years on a step-up transformer. No sign so far of it exploding killing hundreds.

Same here. We have a high-end counter-top ice cream maker that we use for research and that works absolutely fine with a transformer.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:42 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Point 1. Most people here know bugger all about electrical items
Point 2. Most people on here will give advice on stuff they know very little about
Point 3. If in doubt don't do it
point 4. Read up on the topic don't ask on a forum that doesn't cover that topic

If its say 110v/240v 50/60hz then yes bring it

if it doesn't, if you know what you are doing with electrcial stuff it may be worth bringing and maybe not

Don't bring white goods, It ain't worth it
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:19 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

My hairdryer worked but I can blow harder than that! (not at the back of my own head admittedly!) ditched it and got one for $5 from the thrift store.
New hand blender for baby food $10, kettle $10, microwave on special at walmart. Etc small stuff easily replaced. And renting anyway so fridge/ freezer/washer/dryer etc included.
I left the lot behind.
New computer cables for laptop from eBay and new power supply units for desktop from local computer shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.