Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it worth the move?

Is it worth the move?

Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

chris9677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth the move?

Hi I have an interview next week with possibilities of work in Calgary and Toronto and we (my wife and I) are trying to work out if it is worth the move financially and also for our kids (aged 2 and 8)

We don't want to make the move and regret it but don't want to regret not moving if you know what I mean!!!!

Do people who have moved found it better and a better standard if living and cheaper or comparible?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:34 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth the move?

comparable too what exactly??..you dont say where you live now or what job you do??
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris9677
Hi I have an interview next week with possibilities of work in Calgary and Toronto and we (my wife and I) are trying to work out if it is worth the move financially and also for our kids (aged 2 and 8)

We don't want to make the move and regret it but don't want to regret not moving if you know what I mean!!!!

Do people who have moved found it better and a better standard if living and cheaper or comparible?

Thanks
Standard of living is comparable. I suspect that this will be the experience of most immigrants from the UK.

Some things are much better, some things are much worse.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks

We live in the north west and the job is in construction management.

What is better and what is worse?

Our biggest issue seems to be family and not being able to pop round have them round etc
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:50 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i guess depends which company you are working for you are in the same line of work as me.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your perspective and what you are looking for. Nobody can answer this for you. You could get a bunch of rave reviews, come here and hate it. There is only one way you'll find out.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Company is pcl
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The weather is better and worse.

The education system is better and worse.

The employment situation is better and worse.

Driving is better and worse.

And so on.

I love the winters here, Cheeky_Monkey doesn't

Whether it will be better or worse will depend upon your preferences.

Why do you think it will be better?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

I don't think it will its really the unknown to be honest. I kind of hope long term prospects for us and more importantly the kids.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
No one will be able to answer that for you. I’d suggest looking through the old treads as many people have asked the same question. You’ll find wildly different responses based on personal situations. The one variable that seems to remain constant is employment. If you have a good, stable and well paying job, life tends to be fine.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:04 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Company is pcl
Industrial or commercial?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Commercial.

Thanks for the other replies. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:14 pm
Every day's a school day

i know PCL pretty well..they are decent..i mean it could have been Ellis Don or Stuart Olson

Anyway i wouldn't live my life around your kids..they would do just as well in the UK as they would in Canada..if you dont want to move then dont!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:20 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Driving is better and worse.
most things here can be fairly described as better and worse, but not the driving

that is simply worse!

granted we could also bring up cost of Cheese too....
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Commercial.

Thanks for the other replies. Much appreciated.
OK. I know PCL Industrial pretty well, they are a very good firm. I don't know the commercial side, but have no reason to think they're not just as good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.